News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 19 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nah, Standard Armor is fine. -Famous Last Words.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-21, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #271
Mag
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

Originally Posted by Hezzy View Post
I spent my entire Planetside career playing with an American outfit. Now what?
If we're not able to play in the same squad, I'm going to kill some bitches.

As an aside, has anyone considered putting together an online petition to make it abundantly clear how counter to customer desires this decision is?

Last edited by Mag; 2012-02-21 at 07:25 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #272
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I know you say that now, but trust me, once PS2 releases, you'll be playing it and having a great time.
Im stubborn, trust me. Little example. I really wanted to play skyrim, i was really hyped for it. But then they didnt allow to buy it on steam in my country. I could easily go to nearest shop to buy localized version and play. But i still havent played that game. I have my principles.
Old 2012-02-21, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #273
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I know you say that now, but trust me, once PS2 releases, you'll be playing it and having a great time.
Maybe, but that won't stop me from thinking every moment I play it: If only I could play this game with my friends ^^
Old 2012-02-21, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #274
Tapman
Staff Sergeant

TL,DR: I hope we all get to play together, people should learn to calm down though.

My optimistic tendencies tell me that there is a question here that hasn't been completely worked out yet between the Euro and US tech departments syncing their systems and being able to handle the bandwidth that would be required to make PS2 a global sensation. If this is the case, please try to get it fixed before Beta so that Outfits can translate well together. Otherwise, this will have to be be a must-finish before release.

Outfits are going to help set the tone and the pace of Planetside 2. This should start during Beta and could have enormous weight by release. They developed their communication skills, ranks, and discipline throughout Planetside, truly developing a dynamic that can be admired and feared. There will be plenty of future leaders of Planetside 2 who did not participate in Beta but the fact is that you have the chance to tap an amazing resource, highly trained and highly motivated groups who can do several things for you.

Obviously, a group that already communicates well can give you the best footage possible for a trailer. Breaking up these groups based on international borders would detract from your marketing material. On a similar note, why would you want to antagonize your most avid fans, participants in the world of social media? Not a threat or anything, more that I believe there is enough attention being paid that would warrant more clarity in released information.

Having people of every nationality is one of the reasons Auraxis is so amazing, it truly feels like a diverse section of humanity taken directly from Earth with all of the cultural misconceptions, personalities, accents, stories, etc. SOE is directly/accidentally responsible for this, they combined Planetside's servers until we all became one big melting pot. Taking this away would be several cruel and irresponsible steps in the wrong direction.

I read every post in this thread (after Hamma cleaned it up a bit) and while I'm glad there is outcry over possible meanings of poorly stated information, I am still disappointed that so many folks immediately revert to the broken record assumption that SOE has to fuck this up somehow and this might as well be it for all anyone knows. The simple fact is that there has been no official response since then to confirm one way or another, meaning that this may not be settled.

With that said, I remember being told that SOE intended on taking care of their veterans. I hope they honor that in regards to this issue. If they don't, I will gripe and mope about it, but I'll still play. If they do, I would feel much more inclined to give them more of my hard-earned money at the shop and continue to do my part in spreading the word.
Old 2012-02-21, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #275
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

To quote one of our American players from our outfit that just posted this to my facebook.

"just saw that article from SZOE you posted. What a bunch of crap. Guess I won't bother with the game, never did like playing on the US servers, that is why I played with you guys. Who comes up with this sort of nonsense anyways?"

It no just your European customers you are upsetting SOE. It does make me ponder if our IP addresses will be akin to some sort of arm patch that labels us as europeans so we are easily fenced into................

Last edited by Mastachief; 2012-02-21 at 07:38 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #276
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Tapman View Post
My optimistic tendencies tell me that there is a question here that hasn't been completely worked out yet between the Euro and US tech departments syncing their systems and being able to handle the bandwidth that would be required to make PS2 a global sensation. If this is the case, please try to get it fixed before Beta so that Outfits can translate well together. Otherwise, this will have to be be a must-finish before release.
Once they separate accounts its done. There is no way to have players with different account types/systems on one server. That would be really mess. Selling accounts to pro7 is forced segregation of community.
Old 2012-02-21, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #277
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
History shows us that these types of deals never work out well for the customer. Outsourcing is bad for the customer always has been.

" Hey there is this bug lets track and report it to the DEV's...... no wait we can't "

" Wouldn't it be nice to have a big assed dragon? No you are european you are not one of our customers thus your opinion/thoughts or ideas count for nothing "

Big assed slippery slope, in short yes it is that big a deal.
Not to mention that localization means every new patch needs 20 translations.

Some of those localization packages may be using babblefish quality and all those language changes can cause a week or two delay before these patches go live. Meaning you have to live with bugs and exploits just that bit longer than people on other (read: US) servers and as such as a community can end up more vulnerable to negative effects such as population losses over annoying trivialities that keep lasting, etc. Different quality and speed of dealing with cheats and immature /comall and /c spammers as well.

That certainly was true for Werner... The latter may be something that could improve under pro7, we may get our own events, we may get GMs awake during our hours and we may benefit in some other ways. But we'd still not be playing with our long term buddies...

Even slightly improved local service doesn't warrant basically selling a whole playerbase to another company without the option to play elsewhere and with friends.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-02-21 at 07:41 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #278
Boogster
Private

This is fucked up.

Why bother restricting people? Most people will gravitate to their local server, given the choice, but one of the joys of online gaming is the opportunity to meet people who aren't local. PS has an existing community that could be the foundation of a really great, genre-breaking game. Instead, PS2 will be a second class, second hand game for the Euros.

Beta will in all likelihood be a US thing, and if SOE think people are angry now, just wait until that announcement.

Last edited by Boogster; 2012-02-21 at 07:44 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #279
polywomple
Staff Sergeant

well we know which server is going to have the lowest population *rimshot*
Old 2012-02-21, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #280
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

I can understand outsourcing to asian regions because its quite a different culture with different rules and standards and so much thats not compatible. But outsourcing for Europe is a terrible idea.

And as Basti has said many times, they make it sound like its region locked so they can get your business, greedy fuckers. But the reality is you just need to buy the us version and use an SOE account, and never make the Pros...whatever account.

And seriously, SOE has always been badly managed, badly organized, and terrible at dealing with issues or managing games. If any of you ever expected any better you really need to come back down to reality. I hope the game does well but i would bet any amount of money that SOE will do a buttload of really stupid things along the way that really hold their game down massively from what it could do.

Its not hard to do games right, just stop and think when you make a decision :"would Valve or Blizzard do this?". Whether or not you like any of their games, they do AAA quality with their games and managing them. Some things you may not like but they do improve the overall game. Their focus is on making the best game and giving the best user experience, the money comes in by itself when you do that. SOE goes straight to the money focusing on that and leaving the game and customer experience lower down on the list, and so in the end makes a lot less money. Until they see that as a problem and address it, they will continue to make stupid mistakes.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2012-02-21 at 08:01 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #281
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
"would Valve or Blizzard do this?"
The entity formerly known as Blizzard doesn't exist anymore. They were purchased by Activision, who continues to milk the name but has long since digested and excreted the substance.
Old 2012-02-21, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #282
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant

I'm more happy than sad about this I won't have to see ruskies or CN or BR did you know statistically the BR have the biggest hacking to non-hacking ratio in the world. Kinda sad that the rest of EU and Aussie is segregated from us there isn't much of a cultural barrier there dunno whats up with that.

Last edited by Chinchy; 2012-02-21 at 08:25 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #283
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
I can understand outsourcing to asian regions because its quite a different culture with different rules and standards and so much thats not compatible. But outsourcing for Europe is a terrible idea.

And as Basti has said many times, they make it sound like its region locked so they can get your business, greedy fuckers. But the reality is you just need to buy the us version and use an SOE account, and never make the Pros...whatever account.
FTP ftw. If this were paid I'd be even more mad
Old 2012-02-21, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #284
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I just want to point out Planetside 2 won't be the only game this happens to. So the decision SOE is making with this change isn't dependent on our community.

I'm sure our opinion matters, and I'm sure there are Clans in those games who don't want to be split. But I don't think it's going to effect them as much because they've had more European servers then PS1.

In PS1 the American servers seemed like the popular global choice, so naturally we have a bigger uproar about being split up.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-02-21, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #285
Ragefighter
Contributor
Sergeant

anyone know how this would effect a person who might travel and play on the road?
hope there is enough population to sustain good battles through out the day and night
Like if someone were to fly to UK who comes form the US and try to play a SOE game.

after thinking about this, I tend to lean towards ProSiebenSat.1 being a kinda forced choice. like maybe you can buy the US version or euro version. hope they are not locked though, as it would put a bunch of people who travel in a bad spot, and most of the military members who might play from a base overseas might need to make a whole new account to play at home, or people that work odd hours in any part of the world. here is to hoping they give us an option.

I am hoping for the best but fearing the worst. =p

lets hope there is room for changes in the contract. putting PS2 and EQ3 on this means it is a very long term thing.

One of the big reasons I like SOE is that they build and market their games(albeit they don't market too well, but that seems to be changing with games like PS2). there is no Activision or EA to screw it up.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion