Punkbuster? ohh no - Page 19 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The reason she left
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-17, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #271
helioN
Corporal

Re: Punkbuster? ohh no

PB sucks major bawls.
Old 2012-07-17, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #272
SgtExo
Staff Sergeant

Let this necro die plz, dont feed the wanabe hacker who rezzed it.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #273
Tehroth
Corporal

Originally Posted by arclegger View Post
You know what helps find cheaters? a kill cam *runs away and hides while maniacally laughing*
Begone fiend! A kill cam is horrible especially for this type of game. Anyways PB is pretty bad, I still run into hackers all the time on Bf3, but luckily the servers I play have admins that ban em.

Ps2 should have PB and another secret anti-hacking software. Also you should pursue legal recourse. You won't see much hacking if the beardneck mouth breather has to pay a huge fine.

Originally Posted by SgtExo View Post
Let this necro die plz, dont feed the wanabe hacker who rezzed it.
Ironic if you wanted it to die why would you bump it?
Old 2012-07-18, 01:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #274
DownloadFailed
Corporal

Lords no. I absolutely loathe PB. It's dated, kicks legitimate players on a regular basis (extensive first-hand experience), and is no more of an obstacle to hackers than a stick is to a car.

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
For the love of god, use multiple methods to slow down hackers. All bans should be by "revolving hardware ID hash", email address, & CC number together. And when I say "revolving hardware ID hash", I mean PS2 should scan your hardware and collect as many ID's as possible then make multple hashes from your config, and if you get banned you won't know which to spoof, so you will have a fun time figuring out which one it is. Then once you got it figured out, they change which hashes they create new bans on and force you into another round of guessing games. Nothing is perfect, but multiple layers of anti-cheat could only help.
I like this idea to a point. Multiple methods to stop hackers would certainly insure that banned players would not be coming back any time soon (in most cases, at least), but too many "layers" of protection may mean that some legitimate players may fit a profile here or there and be wrongly banned. That's why, if there are multiple layers, there needs to be AT LEAST one that is human-based, i.e., the in-game moderators.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #275
Shadowrath
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Don't ruin PS2 with P.O.S. Punkbuster.

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #276
Zidane
Sergeant Major

/facepalm
Old 2012-07-18, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #277
Kran De Loy
Captain

Lols.

Anyway I'm completely against PB. Completely.

Unfortunately SOE is gonna do PB and it looks like and no matter how much hate people dump on the system SOE is still gonna keep PB. However Higby and other have said multiple times, over and over again that PB will not be the only option they're gonna be using. On top of PB they've said they'll use real customer service GM's in game to pass out bans like cyanide lollipops to all those people that get caught hacking.

Also, I'm not sure if a Dev said this or some people just speculated it, with the new engine they've built with PS2 in mind 'Forgelight' they've also got some of their own in-house crafted anti-hacking solutions.

So with both PB (god I hate that program so much) and the live GM support PS2 could just may be well enough. If they happen to also have that extra bit of power hidden away in the backend then all the better.

How they handle their bans, how they handle the discovery of hackers, how they handle people that were banned wrongfully. All this will happen how they want it to happen regardless of what anyone says, imo. However if somehow in Beta or after release that it becomes well proven that PB is completely worthless then I have absolutely no doubt that SOE will quickly and decisively take care of it. PS2 means more to them than it does to us because they're not just fans like us, they're also the ones making their living off of PS2.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-07-18 at 03:24 AM.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #278
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

They need to charge for the client.

Nothing else will serve.
Old 2012-07-18, 04:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #279
Ivam Akorahil
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Top Sgt View Post
BF3 on PC has a major major hacking issue so bad hackers even re wrote some programming to make punkbuster ban legit players instead of actual cheaters.
ive been playing bf3 for around 80 hours in total, apart from the occasional aimbotter who usualy gets either auto banned or auto kicked or vote kicked within a few seconds i never ever expierienced any major hacking issues

apart from pb ps2 also has this background cheat detection if values get out of hand like kills per minute or per second or headhsot amount w/e the game automaticaly notifies game masters about it so they have a look. + i think the servers are under constant monitoring by game masters anyways

i cant remember in which vid ive seen that but it was mentioned when the topic " stats padding" came up, to prevent abuse

point is, unless we know exactly what systems are in place to prevent hacking - anything else is retarded speculation and much ado about nothing

Last edited by Ivam Akorahil; 2012-07-18 at 04:53 AM.
Old 2012-07-18, 06:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #280
Pella
Captain

I have confidence now. SOE will obviously be learning from other games especially APB and what effects hackers have on profits.

24hour GMs who have been trained in spotting hackers is a must. I have 15 years of online gaming experience and spotting hackers becomes second nature.
Old 2012-07-18, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #281
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

The only thing punkbuster did was ban me for having a newer computer at the time.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #282
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Ivam Akorahil View Post
ive been playing bf3 for around 80 hours in total, apart from the occasional aimbotter who usualy gets either auto banned or auto kicked or vote kicked within a few seconds i never ever expierienced any major hacking issues

apart from pb ps2 also has this background cheat detection if values get out of hand like kills per minute or per second or headhsot amount w/e the game automaticaly notifies game masters about it so they have a look. + i think the servers are under constant monitoring by game masters anyways

i cant remember in which vid ive seen that but it was mentioned when the topic " stats padding" came up, to prevent abuse

point is, unless we know exactly what systems are in place to prevent hacking - anything else is retarded speculation and much ado about nothing
PB runs on the client PC as well as the serverside. They are two different things. PB on the server is capable of all that, however PB is also run on the client side and eats up client side resources and in the end is so ineffective that it may as well do absolutely nothing at all.

It uses the client side resources to, in real time, actively check for even partial coding of cheating programs and instantly bans the client PC from the client side if it even thinks it detects the slightest hint of any known cheating programs in the processes of the client PC. This means that all programs not related to PB or the game you are actively playing can possible trigger PB into banning you. The more programs you have running the more chance PB 'accidentally' bans you from playing on your own PC.

By doing this PB is capable of finding more things that normal serverside only anti-cheat solutions wouldn't be able to. It also means that the client side of PB is put up on a silver platter for hacking/cheat programers to analyze and circumvent at their leisure.

So in the end the client side aspect of it all is pretty much pointless as anyone with 2 ounces of grey tissue and the will to find cheating programs can get the programs to circumvent the client side of PB.

Now a really good hacker would be able to take the client side information, purchase or steal the serverside basic programing of PB then make a program that lets the cheater manipulate PB on serverside essentially causing PB to become it's own trojan horse virus. There have been plenty of horror stories of exactly this happening. And PB still eats up clientside resources.

Now in the case of Planetside 2, if the serverside is configured correctly (and it will be) and is monitored closely (and it will be) then it is entirely possible that PB could still work as intended with very few problems. However it still eats clientside resources.

Though over all, I hate PB.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-07-18 at 08:36 AM.
Old 2012-07-18, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #283
Ravenclaw
Private

I thought they said in one the interviews that they wont rely on a single anti-cheat program, maybe punkbuster is just 1 of the programs couple with others as well as game masters/player reporting etc
Old 2012-07-18, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #284
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Ravenclaw View Post
I thought they said in one the interviews that they wont rely on a single anti-cheat program, maybe punkbuster is just 1 of the programs couple with others as well as game masters/player reporting etc
I love how much people don't read threads that they post in.

here let me quote myself since it's easier to quote myself from the same thread page than to bother finding all the source material for what I said in the previous to last post.

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
... Higby and others have said multiple times, over and over again that PB will not be the only option they're gonna be using. On top of PB they've said they'll use real customer service GM's in game to pass out bans like cyanide lollipops to all those people that get caught hacking.

Also, I'm not sure if a Dev said this or some people just speculated it, with the new engine they've built with PS2 in mind 'Forgelight' they've also got some of their own in-house crafted anti-hacking solutions.

So with both PB (god I hate that program so much) and the live GM support PS2 could just may be well enough. If they happen to also have that extra bit of power hidden away in the backend then all the better.
And just to be sure people get it, I'm gonna quote myself again this time from the last post.

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
Now in the case of Planetside 2, if the serverside is configured correctly (and it will be) and is monitored closely (and it will be) then it is entirely possible that PB could still work as intended with very few problems. However it still eats clientside resources.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-07-18 at 08:43 AM.
Old 2012-07-18, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #285
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
They need to charge for the client.

Nothing else will serve.
Because that's what keeps all the cheaters and hackers away from the pay2play games...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion