Why It Doesn't Matter Whether We Have Links or Hexes... - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Drive like you stole it!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-11, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

Re: Why It Doesn't Matter Whether We Have Links or Hexes...

you could always add a line between both gradients or to make it even clearer by having a no mans land corridor between both factions territories
Old 2013-05-11, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Let's just put it this way - I doubt that your very first acquaintance with PlanetSide 1 was in any way resembling your first time with any game of, say, BF series. Or, if you like it more that way, UT2004's (and further) Assault/Onsluaght modes.

The way the lattice worked, the inventory tetris, the certs, the objectives (Generators, CCs), inter-continental travel, it was all VERY hard to swallow at once, while the information itself was essential to just play the game properly. And what I mean was complex, is not the presence of the aspects, but their presentation.
I don't think it was overly complex. Sure it took different amounts of time for newbies to figure out gold ammo was very situational, but it was just a learning curve. A lot of people actually thought PS should have been more complex, myself included.

Old 2013-05-11, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
fierce deity
Sergeant

Okay, now plese draw the line where TR territory ends and NC/VS territory starts... Give me a clear definition on where I exit my land and enter enemy's.
Here you go.

Old 2013-05-11, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Territories still exist. The new system makes sense as bases are the main objective not territory or roads.
Old 2013-05-11, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by fierce deity View Post
Here you go.

You do realise you only strenghtened my point with this drawing? It eludes me why people keep making posts like these, knowing that the original message was rethorical...

I can also draw lines as much as I want, but they will NOT be precise, unless there's a distinct visual indication of borders in the game itself.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-05-11, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Okay, now plese draw the line where TR territory ends and NC/VS territory starts... Give me a clear definition on where I exit my land and enter enemy's.
There isn't, and really there never was with the hex system. Because it's irrelevant. It's not like you're within range of a base to get it's cap xp or status updates when you're in it's hex. It was just a way to try to map out the map, and SOE admitted it wasn't perfect.

It's like a tailbone now, there but not needed.

Battles are never defined by territory borders either, this is what hot spots are for.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2013-05-11, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
There isn't, and really there never was with the hex system. Because it's irrelevant. It's not like you're within range of a base to get it's cap xp or status updates when you're in it's hex. It was just a way to try to map out the map, and SOE admitted it wasn't perfect.

It's like a tailbone now, there but not needed.

Battles are never defined by territory borders either, this is what hot spots are for.
I say that in the OP, but my point is a little bit different. All I said in the OP I can sum up by saying:
If they remove territory, they will "automatically cut off the possibility of implementation of a whole level of metagame".

But if the community doesn't need the game to be strategically deeper, then I have no problem with it myself. And I'm not implying anything here.

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-05-11, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Shogun
Contributor
General

Here you go.

exactly.

just a matter of tweaking the visibility of the borders.
something soe should be able to do.

and the rest of the wip pic simply is boss! we need the links (or lanes or what they call it) to be visible at a glance. and the wip delivers!
could be even a little more visible like with thicker lines.

the map as it is, is not very useful. you have to stare and search for everything. it needs simple and clear elements, and the wip pic is a big step in the right direction.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-11, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

A well defined border doesn't matter.

Old 2013-05-11, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
A well defined border doesn't matter.
it matters if you want to know where to expect benefits, penaltys and for ressource denial/aquisition

things that are not too important right now, but might become important in a possible metagame at some point.

but hexes look so 80s and stupid. and it takes away too much of the visibility of other things on the map.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2013-05-11 at 10:42 AM.
Old 2013-05-11, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
it matters if you want to know where to expect benefits, penaltys and for ressource denial/aquisition

things that are not too important right now, but might become important in a possible metagame at some point.

but hexes look so 80s and stupid. and it takes away too much of the visibility of other things on the map.
They could just tie in resources to bases and not land. It would make sense to me anyway.
Old 2013-05-11, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Rahabib View Post
They could just tie in resources to bases and not land. It would make sense to me anyway.
But we're not talking about resources here, are we?

*cough*
Now PlanetSide 2 doesn't unfold the territories potential at all, that's why people only see territories as something tied only to resources.
*cough*

Old 2013-05-11, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
ShadoViper
Staff Sergeant

If all these people are failing to meet your point, perhaps its time to revise what you're saying and explain it in a different way.
Old 2013-05-11, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by ShadoViper View Post
If all these people are failing to meet your point, perhaps its time to revise what you're saying and explain it in a different way.
They don't fail to meet my point, it's just a classic case of "OP's tl;dr, I'll just figure out what it says by comments". More than half people here commented right on point, so I doubt that it's the clearness of my thought's that's lacking, it's more about the formatting. And in regards to this subject, I assure you, I tried to get it properly several times, so what you see is the best I managed to accomplish.

Old 2013-05-11, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Climhazzard
Sergeant

Here you go.

Actually... You've counted the VS territory in the upper left of that screenshot as "TR Territory", so maybe his point is more valid than you might think.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion