PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I pity da foo' who don't donate!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-04-24, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
RadioNails
Private

I've been reading threads like this for a week now. It happens I have about the same config, I have AthlonXP 1700+ with 512Mb of RAM and currently a GeForce2MX 32Mb.

I understand that I could buy top of the line card and get great graphics, but I'm not a millionaire so I need to make sure every penny is worth it. I'm also not a huge gamer, I just know I'll play a lot of PS.

I was simply wondering what kind of graphics card I would need to get the game with the details we see on the PS-U website screenshots in general with "tolerable" fps (ie not 120, more like 30), with the trees that look nice and everything... I was first thinking about simply buying a GeForce4MX but I'm afraid it might be too little. Would a Radeon 9100 do the trick?
Thanks for your opinion.
Old 2003-04-24, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Ouch Spacedrake, that smarx heh.

Well it being a G2 core on steroids is opinon heh. Its still really a G2 core, and may at the core have more features and functions than the original G2 I still wouldn't say it outperforms say a Geforce 2 Ultra 64. You have to consider memory, board config, manufactuer quality, etc. All of which were skimped on in the MX line.

There were defintely 1.4 P4's. I really can't remember 1.2 or 1.3's, but I do think there were some limited supplies of those b/c of the P3 couldn't crank much past 1.2 or .3. You can run cpuid and see exactly what you got. If you want a cheap 128 meg DDR card for under $100 I'd say the 9000 Pro or gasp FX 5200 Ultra 128. I hate recommending the FX, but its cheap atleast and prolly better than a MX4.
Old 2003-04-24, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
HawkEye
Major

Misc Info

so a 9000 pro will work
Old 2003-04-24, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

I did a little homework. The 9100 Pro 128 DDR is actually better. If you look on ebay I see these cards for a buy it now of $89.95 for a retail off brand. May want to see if you can find an ATI retail for a similar price. I saw the Xtacy version at CompUsa today for $129. The 9000 Pro looks like it generally has 64 DDR and is a little slower core.
Old 2003-04-25, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Rammy
Private

i have a

1.33 hp pav win xp
368mb ram sd D:
cable connect (SCARY FAST)
Old 2003-04-25, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
SpaceDrake
Master Sergeant

Originally posted by Rammy
i have a

1.33 hp pav win xp
368mb ram sd D:
cable connect (SCARY FAST)
Upgrade time! (Hewlett Packard unfortunately = Compaq.)

What kind of video card, out of curiosity?

And RadioNails, no need to spam the question. Check your own thread.
Old 2003-04-25, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

umm im pretty sure PS will run on mine but will it run on 512 PC2100 DDR P1.4 ADSL and AIW RAEDON 8500 64mb im buliding a new comp in a few months btw

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-04-25, 11:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

I think HP is even worse than Compaq actually. But when they started making P4 systems they were pretty equally awful for gaming.

Rammy, new system if you can. Otherwise more ram and a good video card, atleast something close to a G4 4400 or 4600 to be in pretty decent shape. Your cpu is a little slow but I know of ppl with very well tweaked 1ghz AMD systems with 4600's and 1 gig of ram who play PS very good, just tweaked down some in the g/f.

Pyro, you should be pretty good. My 8500 64 does a much better job with PS than I thought it could. A little more ram may help some, as I had 512 and when in game my system was using up a little over 600 megs total which caused me some in game lag b/c of swap and when exiting game it would take a while for it to recover. After adding another 512 it runs much better and exits the game cleanly.
Old 2003-04-26, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

cant im strapped for cash cuz im savin for next comp
i gotta scrap 500 atleast and i got 140 and i should get 200 cuz of confirmation
then b-day im askin for comp parts and money so i guess ill have 2 hold out btw my b-day is may 20th

Old 2003-04-26, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Thats cool Pyro, you should be able to get started for $200 or less and for $500 have something that should do the job well. Did you not make it into open beta? You should be able to play decently now.
Old 2003-04-26, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

well i broke down and bought another 512 stick cuz i was crashing and laggin and i bought a cheap phillips PSC 604 snd card its cool got EAX 2.0 standard

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum