To Solve The Bailing Mechanic (Point Wise) - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where whoring is a sport.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-12, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bravix
Sergeant Major

Re: To Solve The Bailing Mechanic (Point Wise)

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
i have no issue with bail out it happen all the time in Bf games since 1942 and its part of the whole thing anyway its not that hard to kill them after they have bail out and most people will run ENG in tanks and since ENG dont have rockets in PS2 when they will bail out they will be vulnerable and pretty much already dead loll !

for flying vehicules if they dont have a ejection seat or if not ligth assault they will have some problem to do it whiout dying !
All pilots will most likely be light assault or engineer with ejection seat

And I think your assumption that all tank drivers will be engineers is false. Did you see what Higby was? He was heavy assault. There is a cert that allows your vehicle to repair itself over time (like what BF3 has). Engineer won't be as necessary. If anything, driver will be HA and gunner Engineer, or vice versa.

As for killing the person who bailed, you would still be encouraged to kill them. You would get more points for finishing them off (as you would get Kill exp).

Originally Posted by Flaropri View Post
You get points for killing the vehicle, you get points for killing characters. I don't see why you need to get more points for not killing a character only to get points for killing that character 2 seconds later.

Also (so far anyway) it looks like you get more points for the vehicle than the person, so it's not like you're getting shafted on xp.

If there's a real problem than another way to resolve it would be to have a slightly larger radius for the vehicle explosion so they are likely to die if all they did was exit the vehicle (in other words, not also move away from it etc). At least then they'd have to leave before the last second.
Well, you wouldn't be getting 'more' points initially. You'd be getting the same points regardless. The difference would be that if the person decides to run for it and bails, you have the opportunity (if you so choose) to hunt them down for the Kill exp.

The point is to remove the 'rage' effect that occurs when you're about to kill someone and they bail out last second.

The explosion radius in PS1 was nice, seems quite smaller in PS2. But it still doesn't solve the problem with aircraft as they'll always have the bailing advantage that way (just like they do in PS1).
Old 2012-07-12, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by Bravix View Post
All pilots will most likely be light assault or engineer with ejection seat
I don't plan on using an ejection seat at all. WW1 flying rules.

I think you may be underestimating the draw of having other utilities on your plane...
Old 2012-07-12, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
ZaBa
Corporal

Go fast, never die.

The point is to remove the 'rage' effect that occurs when you're about to kill someone and they bail out last second.
How about the rage from scrub pilots when their ejection seat doesn't save their bacon? There's really nothing you can do about people getting mad about perceived "stolen" kills or cheap shots, other than harvest their sweet sweet tears.
Old 2012-07-12, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Only TR and NC scum deal in absolutes.
HAHAHAHA! I absolutely love it when people use that Star Wars quote! George Lucas couldn't have shown his script to be a rushed mess any better!

I mean come on, it's pure genius:
ONLY TR and NC scum deal in absolutes.

Um, little lesson for you here:
The term 'only' is an absolute. Because if it is 'only something' then it is nothing else, and therefore absolute.

So by your own definition (since you just dealt in an absolute!) you are either a TR peice of scum, or an NC peice of scum. Take your pick

Last edited by MrKWalmsley; 2012-07-12 at 02:44 PM.
Old 2012-07-12, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Dont worry bra, you get points just for killing vehicles. And as an added bonus, if you manage to get the crew of that vehicle you get extra exp points. It like the filling on a jely donut... pure bonus.
Old 2012-07-12, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Karrade
First Sergeant

Far as I know there are damage points now, so people are not encouraged to suicide to get exp, and bailing is less of an issue.

Just what i've read, could be different now.
Old 2012-07-12, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Canadian Vanu
Corporal

What if instead, they add a small blast radius around the vehicle that kills the driver when it goes boom.

That way, you kill the driver and anyone around him.
Old 2012-07-12, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Canadian Vanu View Post
What if instead, they add a small blast radius around the vehicle that kills the driver when it goes boom.

That way, you kill the driver and anyone around him.
I'm pretty sure that is already in place. The main issue is that with panic the pilot often bails a tad earlier than necessary, and the fall time brings them out of explosive range too quickly. BF2 had quite a large instant kill radius when planes blew up, and even that was not enough to stop this behaviour.

At the end of the day, if your flares have not reloaded, and you have no more after-burn, and the enemy is on your tail with your missile lock, you're going to bail immediately if you are so inclined. So added on top of the fall time and blast radius you would then have to take into account missile flight time. The system this thread puts forward is a pretty good system for that.
Old 2012-07-12, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

For the umpteenth time:

All we need is a slight delay with a timer bar every time you enter, exit, or switch positions in a vehicle. Add to that the same fadeout animation you get on a PS1 veh pad, with maybe a slight particle effect, and handwave it by saying that you're de-rezzing and reappearing inside/outside your vehicle. That will add the immersion we seek and the game mechanics we need to avoid sploiters.

I'm going to keep saying this until I'm sure it sticks.
Old 2012-07-12, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Ivam Akorahil
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
For the umpteenth time:

All we need is a slight delay with a timer bar every time you enter, exit, or switch positions in a vehicle. Add to that the same fadeout animation you get on a PS1 veh pad, with maybe a slight particle effect, and handwave it by saying that you're de-rezzing and reappearing inside/outside your vehicle. That will add the immersion we seek and the game mechanics we need to avoid sploiters.

completely agree there
Old 2012-07-12, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

As long as there's a reasonable reward for destroying the vehicle the problem should be pretty minor. An AA fighter's job is to kill aircraft, not hunt down bailers. No reason not reward them appropriately.

Originally Posted by MrKWalmsley View Post
Um, little lesson for you here:
The term 'only' is an absolute. Because if it is 'only something' then it is nothing else, and therefore absolute.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that, as our beloved Wolfcastle would say, "That's the joke.".

Last edited by Talek Krell; 2012-07-12 at 05:01 PM.
Old 2012-07-12, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that, as our beloved Wolfcastle would say, "That's the joke.".
George Lucas would beg to differ! He thought it was some deep, introspective saying that would inspire millions.

And I know, you would have to be pretty sad to take the faction pissing contests seriously. Though in the context of the pissing contest, I love to fight back
Old 2012-07-12, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Inverness
Private

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
For the umpteenth time:

What does this have to do with bailing exactly? Bailing is supposed to be instant which is why it is rocket propelled.

As for the bailing mechanic, if the pilot bails and you don't kill him, then tough. You should still get a lesser amount of XP for destroying the vehicle though.
Old 2012-07-12, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
WNxThentar
Sergeant

That might fix it for ground units, but not for air units since they can still bail.

Edit: That and they've already said it won't happen for a bit, if at all.
You can bail from a ground vehicle in PS1 also. I do it all the time when running LLUs. Buggies, Sunderer, MBT, deliverers. You pop to 3rd person for but you can manage that fine and you can still run and move.
Old 2012-07-12, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
What does this have to do with bailing exactly? Bailing is supposed to be instant which is why it is rocket propelled.
It's something you have to cert.

Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
As for the bailing mechanic, if the pilot bails and you don't kill him, then tough. You should still get a lesser amount of XP for destroying the vehicle though.
I don't agree. That isn't the way it works in PS1, BF2142, or any other FPS I"m familiar with.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion