If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-01, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder?

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
I really hope so but WoW wasn't the first MMORPG. But it was a Blizzard game. They hadn't made an MMO before WoW so to say they haven't made a shooter doesn't seem to matter I think it's there community and fans as a developer that carry them.

If they use an existing IP like Starcraft for an MMOFPS it's curtains for PS2 as the top dog.

But yea I agree CoD could probably do it too. Except the only reason I'd think maybe not is because CoD's audience isn't PC based as much and part of what people love about CoD is the small scale quick gameplay, if it became an MMO it wouldnt be CoD
Could you imagine the brand loyalty that a Star Wars MMOFPS with space combat would instantly inspire?
Old 2012-06-01, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I really don't even see how you can look into this to be honest. I doubt any other major studios are looking at doing a MMOFPS at the moment. If anything PS2 will the the testing ground to see if this is will be a new hit in the gaming space. If it is we will see them however it will probably be years after PS2 is release. I personally see it as potentially a highly competitive genre, especially going the F2P model. If PS2 is big they will have a huge advantage verse potential MMOFPS games coming out in the future. PS2 could easily become the WoW of the genre...
Yeah, huge first mover advantage, build a strong fanbase, category prototype, etc.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Could you imagine the brand loyalty that a Star Wars MMOFPS with space combat would instantly inspire?
As much as I would really really really really really want to play a Star Wars MMOFPS and be able to captain a Star Destroyer....

I just have no faith in any Star Wars game anymore.

I'm upset that you put this awesome game in my mind and I know it's never going to happen.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Planetside 2 isn't the first MMOFPS either.

I think with all the attention PS2 is starting to get that any future MMOFPS will have the 'wowclone' effect.
I realize that I just think Blizzard has an inherent domination effect just because people always buy into their games. They do a fantastic job with brand loyalty.
People say WoWclone because it's the most succesful MMORPG they wont say its a PS2 clone if it does better than PS2. People are going to mimic success and it's too early for there to be people pointing fingers for copycats cause theres only 3 games to ever do persistant world PvP only FPS.

And I don't think a Star Wars MMOFPS would necessarily have much brand loyalty look at The Old Republic that game isn't breaking any records.

With all this said I do hope PS2 is the most succesful MMOFPS for years if not until PS3!! Even if more MMOFPS come out I know I will stick with Planetside because I love the factions, the setting, everything about it. A Modern warfare MMOFPS doesn't seem interesting to me really.

And don't get me wrong I think Planetside 2 has a HUGE advantage being the first but I still can see a HUGE popular developer with a huge IP toppling it from pure fanboyism.

Last edited by Gonefshn; 2012-06-01 at 08:54 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Razicator
First Sergeant

Bungie is not doing an MMOFPS. They are starting a new FPS series though.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Vashyo
First Sergeant

looking at the current quality and knowing we are gonna get new content years after release. I think competition is gonna have hard time offering a better alternative. Really think Sony should push this game hard with marketing and give it more attention, they have a very likely gold mine in their hands.

Last edited by Vashyo; 2012-06-01 at 09:02 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

My <3 may be with Planetside, but I'd really like to see some competition in the space. Same with CCP and EVE - love 'em to death but for fuck's sake, someone try to eat their lunch.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

I don't know, as fun as it was, the original planetside had a lot of problems. It was the best sci fi shooter ever made, but it could have easily turned into a train wreck.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
stargazer093
Sergeant

Tencent

oh wait that`s China only...
Old 2012-06-01, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Im taking a leap of faith but I think Planetside 2 is gonna be succesful in terms of business. I think they are going to get a lot of people to play it and I think they are gonna start a MMOFPS revolution....

Perhaps Planetside 2 won't live up to they hype of some of the Planetside 1 veterans but is still gonna be successful IMO.

So when this MMOFPS revolution starts, who do u guys think is gonna jump the bandwagon and steal Planetside's thunder....

I feel that Bungie is gonna make a Halo MMOFPS in fact I think bungie is making an MMOFPS already....if it comes out in e3...Is gg for Planetside 2 coverage.

I also see CoD jumping the bandwagon...They have a fanbase that play the game 24/7, and they would pay for monthly subscription I bet....and they are partners with Acti-blizzard so they could pull it off

Battlefield 3 might as well but im not sure if they would.....perhaps very later.

Planetside 2 has uniqueness right now since it will be the only MMOFPS on a massive scale but once the other popular games make MMOFPS...I wonder if Planetside 2 will be able to hang.

Planetside 2 will also be free so thats a plus...Doubt Halo,COD,BF MMO will be free.

I also expect Planetside 2 on PS4 eventually.
Well, CoD already has a premium subscription plan and BF3 just got one too... So it's not far fetched to think that an FPSMMO is the next logical step. I'd support that decision, at least for Battlefield. Think Planetside scale but with destructible environments. It'll come one day.

Does PS2 have any competition right now? No, not really. It's pretty one of kind in terms of massive scale warefare. BF3 would be closest and it's still light years away in terms of scale.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
As much as I would really really really really really want to play a Star Wars MMOFPS and be able to captain a Star Destroyer....

I just have no faith in any Star Wars game anymore.

I'm upset that you put this awesome game in my mind and I know it's never going to happen.
You could someday captain a Battlecruiser for the empire of your choice...except...it doesn't sound like Planetside, so, sorry.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by stargazer093 View Post
Tencent

oh wait that`s China only...
For now.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Boundless Pixel
Private

Honestly, if the can execute it successfully, or similarily to Planetside 2, I think 343 Industries and Microsoft are next in line to create the next great MMOFPS with Halo. I mean think about it. They already have several distinct factions (the UNSC,the Covenant Empire, and the Insurrectionists), several long dead alien races from which to study technology (the Forerunners and Precursors), a rich backstory, and literally hundreds of fertile bafflefields (the Halo array, Reach, Harvest, EARTH, Sanghelios, Arcadia, the Ark, ONYX, and Eridanus II just to name a few). And to back it all up, a HUGE, super-supportive community (me included). As long as Microsoft doesn't pull another Fox and cancel it halfway through the seaso.... development, I think it would turn out beautifully.

Last edited by Boundless Pixel; 2012-06-03 at 06:52 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Biscuit
Sergeant

I believe that if Blizz/Acti wants a piece of the MMOFPS pie, it'll have to be much more than shoving the IP into the masses to buy it up.

and yes, they will buy it up, but I strongly believe half of the battle would have to do whats under that MMOFPS' hood.

that goes with any other big company to step up to the plate too. good luck trying to match Planetside 2 ambitions using the Hero Engine.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Hatchak
Private

As someone comented before, they are probably starting to make MMOFPS versions of the best selling franchises of FPS, with the new engines (unreal 4, that Outera one or whatever its called) and industry going with mostly free2play option, i can see that Planetside 2 will have to endure some hard but at the end good competition in the future, the most interesting thing that will keep me playing at least for me, its that the Devs ACTUALLY LISTEN to the comunity and they are involved with us when it comes to the decisions of what the game needs as well as THE PLAYERS needs, im sure that as long as Planetside 2 keeps people interested in playing, they will keep adding things and polish it so it can stand as a game of its own, innovative, a pioneer against the competition.

sorry for shitty english redaction, its not my first language.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion