Griefing Costing Resources - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Just like disneyland, without the rat problem
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-15, 03:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Griefing Costing Resources

Originally Posted by Mr DeCastellac View Post
Rather than just deleting your resources when you damage another player, it should send your resources to them, proportional to how much damage you do and if you are a repeat offender.
Trading personal resources isn't allowed. It goes against the concept of individual resources.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Sometimes it isn't the just the falut of the guy pulling the trigger for the Tkill. The guy who got himself dead is just as responsible. I know many of times I got a fireing line setup down a hall or a choke point and as I a blasting away someone runs right infront of me and gets killed. I'm like you see me shooting in that direction. Why would you step right in front of my rapid fireing gun?

hek the reflect damage in CoD was the worse. There were times I see someone greiving the TK system by just purposly running in front of someone shooting just to get them killed.
Old 2012-07-15, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Sadly the best way to deal with it in the case of a free to play game is turn off friendly damage and collision. Bullets and characters pass through each other, immunity from friendly explosions. It would suck a lot of the fun out of it for legit players, but at least the arseholes wouldn't be able to troll the legit players.

It's a tough one, because people will abuse friendly fire and collision (and anything else they find they can use to be annoying). This is, after all, on the Internet...
Old 2012-07-15, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

This system could be exploited by someone to get free resources. So my vote is no.
Old 2012-07-15, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Mirror
First Sergeant

What if instead of grief costing resources it simply reduced the multiplier and/or frequency of how often you get resources?

Multiplier: So let’s say with a grief level between 0 and 99 you have a multiplier of 1, you cap a base and say you get 50 units of resource but a friendly who was attacking the same base has a grief level between 100 and 199, he has a multiplier of 0.75 so he only gets 35 units of resource.

Frequency: So if you get say 10 units of resource every 2 minutes with a grief level between 0 and 99. Perhaps with a grief level of 100 and 199 you get 10 units of resource every 2mins 30seconds.

As your grief gets higher you get fewer resources over time and via node captures.

This would only affect the players with high grief and reward players who keep their grief low.

http://www.deltatriad.com

Last edited by Mirror; 2012-07-15 at 08:37 AM.
Old 2012-07-15, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Pyreal
First Sergeant

They should have a backlash system where you take the same damage as the player you shot.
You'll notice in games that have that sort of system, the players are a lot more careful about where they are spraying.
Old 2012-07-15, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
noxious
Second Lieutenant

This is a bad idea. It will punish people playing legitimately for accidentally killing teammates (by taking away resources they want and need) and be irrelevant to intentional team killers (by taking away resources they don't have and don't need to team kill).
Old 2012-07-15, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Blue Sam
Corporal

I've posted this before, but I suppose it'll bear restating:

Take the PS1 grief points system (with appropriate adjustments to make it fit PS2). If two or more accounts from one IP get above each threshold, apply that penalty to all accounts that are, or have been, on that IP. If it gets ridiculous, add some system of ban extension for each subsequent ban for each IP. (Say, first ban is 24 hours, next is 48, and so on). Should get rid of most of the griefers, excepting the tiny numbers willing to pay for a VPN to do it, after a period of normalisation.
Old 2012-07-23, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
morf
First Sergeant

I've posted this before, but the best way to solve this issue is to fix the problem with the ps1 grief system:

In PS1, it took a relatively large amount of points to grief out. And grief decayed at a set rate over a very very long period of time. So a pure intentional griefer could cause a lot of mayhem in a short time before getting locked. Meanwhile, a benevolent player who played a class prone to grief (tank driver, thumper) and played the game a lot (8 hours a day) would need to walk on eggshells to avoid griefing out.

The productive way to look at this problem is to view grief as a percentage of your total damage. So in other words, you could keep your grief down by doing damage to enemies. Through testing, devs can determine what is an acceptable ratio of hostile/friendly damage. So for example, let's say it's 90/10 So if you do 10 damage to a friendly, you can lose those grief points by doing 90 damage to an enemy. If you kill a friendly from 100 to 0, you'll need to kill 9 enemies to keep that grief from stacking up. (Note that the numbers are arbitrary and devs can figure out what is fair.

This solution solves both the griefer and the hardcore tank driver problem because you can punish the griefer much earlier, and our insomniac tank driver hero can always work off his grief faster than he earns it.

Now just hook this up to the IP address rather than the account and you're golden.
Old 2012-07-23, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Darthkorr
Private

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
It's a totally simple fix! Make the machine do the thinky work, but basically the higher your grief counter, the more resources you pay for shooting a friendly.

People like me who spam thumper rounds know that by about 350 grief you're starting to look like a dick. So you set that level as 100% reimbursement. Anything over that and you get lockouts, reduced movement, banned from vehicles, banned from weapons, then just banned. If your grief level is like 50, then you pay nothing and a scale up from there. Every 3 grief points is 1% of the resource cost.

So a dude in a sunderer packing full custom kit gets accidentally TKd by a lib. no charge, bad luck, war is hell, you were in the wrong place, whatever. Lib grief goes up to about 50 points.

Same lib does it 5 times in 2 minutes - all of a sudden the lib bomber goes into massive debt (negative resources) and tank drivers are paid out 35%, then 50%, then 75% then 100% of the cost of their gear.

Lib pilot gets punished but tank driver doesn't make money otherwise exploits.
This with other methods. At least keep the greifers from grabbin vehicles. But add in some more methods on top of this.
Old 2012-07-23, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by morf View Post
The productive way to look at this problem is to view grief as a percentage of your total damage. So in other words, you could keep your grief down by doing damage to enemies. Through testing, devs can determine what is an acceptable ratio of hostile/friendly damage. So for example, let's say it's 90/10 So if you do 10 damage to a friendly, you can lose those grief points by doing 90 damage to an enemy. If you kill a friendly from 100 to 0, you'll need to kill 9 enemies to keep that grief from stacking up. (Note that the numbers are arbitrary and devs can figure out what is fair.
If this does happen you should also lose grief via support activity's.
Old 2012-07-23, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
redshirt
Private

Basically the greif system, but once you reach xyz greif reduce all damage you do by x% to everything eventually you cant hurt anything. Could also add a punish/forgive system in there as well. Get punished too many times in a short time kick them from the server for a period of time. 30-60 minutes.

Have the greif tick down at a scaled rate based on total grief acquired in the last couple of hours. So it doesnt hurt players who have the odd accident. ^***&$ i just shot down a friendly galaxy while trying to blast the reaver off his tail

Doesn't stop them from having multiple accounts but thats just hard to fix in general. Tracking a hash generated from hardware of the offending player 'might' help there...

Also like the idea of earning back greif with good deeds... killing enemy /healing friendlies etc

Last edited by redshirt; 2012-07-23 at 10:44 PM.
Old 2012-07-24, 12:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Kitsune
Sergeant

Could be too much work, but on a death screen a person could maybe press a button saying a teammate intentionally killed him. If there's more then 1 teammate that "accidentally" participated in your death then you could use that button more than once in your dead menu.

That button will only show up if a person of your faction is on your "Death By" list.

After 3-5 offenses from a single or various others, the guy will be instakilled and cannot respawn for 10 minutes. In a competitive MMO like this, that's harsh, but so is making everybody miserable for your amusement. If this time out happens 5 or more times in or around a week, then the account may be subject to suspension or banning.

That's my opinion though. And to be honest if you are hacked, that is an easy way to get banned. But just throwing out ideas.
Old 2012-07-24, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

My $0.02

In PS1 an anchored Dual Cycler MAX, a role I played quite a lot in CC defence and the like, would quite often get loads of grief points at high pop times because of all of the dickheads that walk into the line of fire. A static line of fire.

Now perhaps the resource clawback idea here is okay because there is no lockdown/anchor feature to my knowledge in PS2. Griefing like I described above should be less likely.
But in close quarters there will be lines of fire that people shouldnt cross but hey, they will right? People now the hump the idea of kill streaks.

Old 2012-07-24, 01:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Kezz
Sergeant

AIUI, Grief gain will be:
  • Scaled up, the more you've got.
  • Scaled up, the faster you get it.
  • Scaled down with your rank, or some other measure of commitment to the character.
The converse will apply to the decay of your Grief score, and the multiplier that's applied to its gain.

This will mean that someone on a fresh account who goes round TKing for "shits and giggles" will rapidly be locked out, whereas a regularly played character will be able to sustain a steady stream of occasional "winging" of team mates (whether that's because they deliberately jumped in your way, or accidentally/clumsily) without consequence. The "legit" player will also be able to retaliate and grease the occasional TKer with very little consequence. It will mean the legit player will need to watch their fire, and lay off the trigger when friendlies get in the way, if it's properly balanced, which Beta will see to.

I like the idea of resource refunds for being TKed. It would have to be proportional to the damage done by friendlies, and also proportional to the Grief count of those friendlies, to stop exploits (being next to an exploding tank is pretty fatal; we don't want people pulling tanks, driving them into enemy positions and then having their friends concentrate fire on them to blow them up, for example, and then getting a free new shiny tank).
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion