Shorten time to unlearn a certification? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Lasher..Catnip for Vanu
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should the time to forget a cert be shortened?
Yes, reduce the unlearn timer to one hour. 20 40.00%
No, keep the unlearn timer 24 hours. 26 52.00%
Allow recertification with no time penalty. 4 8.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-09-21, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Cease
First Sergeant

What are you talking about, hacking kicks ass! You can get gear and equipment from any powered base whether it's friendly or linked or captured or not, plus you have slowed down medical and engineer abilities available by hacking a terminal, switching armor types and grabbing new med kits. Not only that, but you avoid being a sitting duck while hacking doors and standing out in the open where anyone can pop you in the back.
He's talking about Hacking - not Adv Hacking. All Hacking does is speed up IFF and CC hacks a little and let you hack Med Terms, Cert terms, and Lockers. It's popular opinion that there is no point in certing in Hacking if you don't intend to get Adv Hacking.
Old 2003-09-21, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Jagd
Major

Oh I agree completely, but for 5 certs it's the best skill you can take.
Old 2003-09-21, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Python2100
Private

Maybe 16 hours because 12 is too short in my opinion but 24 is too long.
Old 2003-09-21, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Give me one justification for shortening it other then it's just too long.

I'm still waiting.

At any rate having it the way it is now is a balance issue. It's sposed to bring the focus from "Ooooooh shiny cert" to "what makes me a better soldier.
Old 2003-09-21, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

If any players whatsoever think that something could change the game for the better, it has merit. This poll proves that some do.

Forcing players to wait 24 hours is an arbitrary time-period. It could be 12 hours, 48 hours or there could even be a stipulation that once you gain a certification, you can never unlearn it. The keyword is arbitrary. Asheron's Call, for example, went years under the policy of forcing you to keep a skill, once learned.

This is not an RPG. 'Long-term character development' seen in this game doesn't parallel mmorpg style development, which takes place over weeks, months or years. Recertifying your whole character can be done in less than a week. Some players will quit or become distracted when confronted with a character that is 'gimped' during the lengthy recertification process.

There is no risk of abusability with a one-hour recertification period. If someone kills you with a tank, you can't go certify AV and waste him unless he's there an hour later. Even if you could recertify instantly, you'd have to go to a cert terminal, change around your certs, get to an equipment/vehicle terminal, and then go find your victim... by no means an instantaneous process.

If players express dissatisfaction with being forced to play a certain way, they have a valid point, and shouldn't be dismissed or belittled.

That is all.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-09-21, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
noxious
Second Lieutenant

The thing is, people would setup favorites for certs they commonly switch back and fourth to, so the process would be much quicker. The reason we have the certification system in the first place is so that we can rely on each other. I used to think it would be cool if there was no cert system, but I realized it would make the game a whole lot less fun. The point of the 24 hour period is to emphasize the fact that you are in fact building a character like in an RPG. I also understand that here we are not talking about the removal of the cert sytem, only the removal/reduction of the incubation period. While yes, it frustrates me when I switch something and then realize I shouldn't have and must wait 24 hours to unswitch it (I dropped AV for comet max a week or two ago and I was kicking myself, because I was no longer an effective soloist). Honestly though, unless you're extremely impulsive, I don't know that you should have the desire to change your certs much more than one every 24 hours unless you're rebuilding your entire character.
Old 2003-09-21, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Thankyou noxious summed things up so eloquently for me.
Old 2003-09-21, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Searo
Second Lieutenant

What's the point of a ten man squad?
5 men could do the same thing with greater rewards in this system.
-More XP
-Same Cert Pool

Instead of "we need an adv medic"
It's "ill grab adv med and eng, you grab us a sunderer"

There's no more squad incentive.
Old 2003-09-21, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
aiwest420
Sergeant Major

24 hours is too much, 1 hour is too little.

how about 8 hours?
Old 2003-09-21, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Doppler
Contributor
Major

I'm still looking for problems with the current system where does it really hobble you, to free up five cert points enough for anything in the game it takes you two days, how much bigger of a pool do you need then that?
Old 2003-09-21, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
noxious
Second Lieutenant

Originally posted by Searo
What's the point of a ten man squad?
5 men could do the same thing with greater rewards in this system.
-More XP
-Same Cert Pool

Instead of "we need an adv medic"
It's "ill grab adv med and eng, you grab us a sunderer"

There's no more squad incentive.
This is another problem entirely, and I do agree that often times less squad members are better. A new thread about this would be nice.
Old 2003-09-22, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Originally posted by Happy lil' Elf
I'd like to see something less than 24 hours even if it's still like 20 hours. I can't tell you how many times I've played late one night, dumped a cert at like 2:30 and wished I could dump the cert I picked up but end up waiting two days because I can't afford to stay up until 2:30 two nights in a row.
Originally posted by Doppler I'm still looking for problems with the current system where does it really hobble you, to free up five cert points enough for anything in the game it takes you two days, how much bigger of a pool do you need then that?
It doesn't really hobble anyone. It can however be very annoying and 24 hours isn't really needed. There aren't many arguments against 24 hours, but there are no arguments that really hold up when someone says why not 20 hours instead of 24? Having the timer be 24 hours doesn't accomplish any more than having it set at 20 or even 16 hours would.

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion