The Vanu Sovereignty seems out of place. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Welcome to addiction!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-04, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Xaine
Major

Re: The Vanu Sovereignty seems out of place.

As a PS1 Vanu player, i somewhat agree actually.

I feel the NC and TR were done pretty well in the lore, and captured the PS1 spirit well but the VS do seem a little out of place.

I always saw them as having an 'air of superiority', looking down on the other two as opposed to hating them. Like the NC and TR hate each other.

In the lore we have at the moment, it seems a little unlikely that they would start their own splinter group.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

My old PS manual was long ago consigned to the trash, but I believe the VS backstabbed the NC because they felt that their revolution (hint: old school NC were Bolsheviks) would misuse the alien technology. The end result is that the science hippies decided to make war on the other two factions to keep the alien tech out of unenlightened hands (as of Core Combat they failed).
Old 2012-06-04, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ringring
Contributor
General

Personally lore wasn't my thing and I'd advise that if you like the look of an empire then join. OR, if you already have friends playing join that one.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Envenom
Sergeant Major

I agree with OP. They should be assimilated into the TR.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

The only thing that is going to seem out of place is my Lasher shoved up your....
Old 2012-06-04, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I just wish there was more lore about the original Oshur bird fossil. I had all kinds of theories about that thing.
Old 2012-06-04, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Vanir
Staff Sergeant

The VS reject there own humanity and embace the alien vanu.

Old 2012-06-05, 03:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

The destiny of the human species tilts toward ruin. Thousands of years of shortsightedness and provincial thinking have hampered its proper evolution. We plunge toward oblivion. Those able to comprehend the promise and potential of humanity will advance. They will usher the less gifted through the gateway of understanding and cleanse the taint of blindness, ignorance and mulishness from the species. We are the shepherds of evolution, the harbingers of progress. We lead toward the light.
Old 2012-06-05, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Troscus
Corporal

I personally went VS because I wasn't going to help space-Nazis and a few lines of text I read on the NC.

the unpredictable and ruthless tactics employed by the insurgent N.C.
they're not willing to say no to anything that might give them an edge
Led by an unusual quorum of outcasts, industry titans, pirates and former military leaders
All that paints a picture of terrifying war-mongerers who hide behind the term "freedom fighter" to justify their actions. With industry titans and pirates pulling the NC's strings, what do you think will happen if they win?

They'll become tyrants themselves.

So, since the TR oppresses everything and the NC is a powder keg of shortsightedness, I went VS, the only ones who seemed like they actually cared about humanity as a whole, rather than politics.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
cBselfmonkey
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Troscus View Post
I personally went VS because I wasn't going to help space-Nazis and a few lines of text I read on the NC.

All that paints a picture of terrifying war-mongerers who hide behind the term "freedom fighter" to justify their actions. With industry titans and pirates pulling the NC's strings, what do you think will happen if they win?

They'll become tyrants themselves.

So, since the TR oppresses everything and the NC is a powder keg of shortsightedness, I went VS, the only ones who seemed like they actually cared about humanity as a whole, rather than politics.
Never trust an organization with a superiority complex so big it can be seen from space. Or who enjoy getting the odd telepathic mind screw from alien artifacts.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
LegioX
First Sergeant

I'm leaning towards VS. Maybe i can find a specialized air clan, that does nothing but flying.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Troscus
Corporal

Originally Posted by cBselfmonkey View Post
Never trust an organization with a superiority complex so big it can be seen from space. Or who enjoy getting the odd telepathic mind screw from alien artifacts.
Where is everyone getting the cult stuff? I've looked around a bit, but have never seen hide nor hair of them being officially called a cult, or any mention of them believing in the Vanu (species) religiously.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
cBselfmonkey
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Troscus View Post
Where is everyone getting the cult stuff? I've looked around a bit, but have never seen hide nor hair of them being officially called a cult, or any mention of them believing in the Vanu (species) religiously.
I managed to convince Tom to let me keep the artifact for study, and to learn more about what I had felt that first time I had touched it. I studied the figurine for months while on the journey back to Earth. As time went on, I noticed more subtle changes about myself. Though the voices never returned despite all my attempts to conjure them, a purpose within me was crystallizing. A purpose that was stronger than any of my weaknesses. Maybe I should have questioned these changes more, but for the first time in my life I felt I belonged. I felt I knew why I was here.

Vanu. Vanu was my purpose; my reason for being.

I still wasn’t certain this was all real, and I hoped I wasn’t still crazy, but in an all-new and different way. I couldn’t tell my new friends any of this, of course, and in the mess that day I held nearly all of it back. Yet, they were still excited by what I did reveal. They were thrilled at the very concept of learning about a race that had no ties with humanity. As a xenobiologist, the thought of interacting with beings completely different from us is, I admit, intoxicating. Our little group is definitely filled with kindred spirits, less involved with the politics of the T.R. or the N.C. and far more aligned with Connery’s hopes for the future.
http://www.planetside2.com/news/nov282011backstory

This and I think maybe one or two other earlier backstory parts put up on the main site seem to lean towards the Sovereignty holding more then just scientific views towards the Vanu. Its not a confirmed thing, any more then inherent NC corporate corruption in the NC or absolute refusal to ever return even minor freedoms to the people in the TR. Its an inference the devs have made. Lotta wink, wink nudge, nudge.
Old 2012-06-05, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
EVILoHOMER
Major

Does Planetside have lore? I never noticed any story when playing the first game, just loved the big battles.
Old 2012-06-09, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

Think of ME3 ending - the only difference is the color. The 3 factions are all insane, just choose your fav flavor - dictatorship ala North Korea, "freedom fighters" crossing the terrorism line and a crazed sect of tech lovers that wish to commit genocide.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion