Reloadtitis - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Parents suck
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-27, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Re: Reloadtitis

Somewhat off topic. It would be cool if the idle animation was loading a magazine.
Old 2012-06-27, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Policenaut
Sergeant

When I was watching the E3 demo, I noticed some of the guns with smaller clips seemed to have sizable reload times.
Old 2012-06-27, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I sometimes slip into compulsive reloading. I'm happy with the longer but not too long reload times we saw at E3. If there are certs to speed it up, that's cool too.

If someone reloads unnecessarily at the wrong moment and dies because of it, fuck em. But at the same time, I don't think the game should specifically set out to punish people for doing that. It should be like people who ADS no matter how close the enemy is, in that it should be stupid and unnecessary, but if they want to do it, let them.

Some guns take longer to reload, some take shorter. Die enough times because you were reloading, and you'll probably learn to stop with the reloaditis on longer reload guns, or stick to quick reloading guns. I think PS2 is striking a good balance.

I wouldn't be in favor of making all reloads be super speedy, or increasing all reloads to be even longer though. It seems like a good balance where it's at. Any cert to speed it up would come at the expense of equipping another cert that did something else useful, so it would all be fair.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-06-27 at 10:15 AM.
Old 2012-06-27, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Long enough to almost force you to find cover when you're reloading, or you'll be very vulnerable. But not so long that after you find cover you have to wait 3 seconds more for it to reload.

for example... if you're standing in the open, shooting, and suddenly your guns noises go from "bang bang" to "click click", and you start to reload... the reload time should make you feel very vulnerable out in the open.
But if you have some sense of how many bullets you have left while shooting, and start making your way to cover before you actually have to reload, you can start reloading, duck behind cover and then get up almost immediately and start shooting again.
Old 2012-06-27, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
TAA
Staff Sergeant

IMO reloading is one of the main causes of player death. Everyone has to reload, and for that period they are almost completely vulnerable. The better players know how and when to use cover or movement to reload and when to switch to pistol instead of reloading.

Long reload times are fine with me, as long as they are not so long that they discourage most up close fighting. Ie. If I cant reload quickly enough in a mid-range fight by ducking behind a pillar then I would be forced to engage from longer ranges to guarantee safety when reloading.

The reload times from the videos seemed to be perfect.
Old 2012-06-27, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Hmm... I wonder who bumped this.
Old 2012-06-27, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
gufftroad
Corporal

I don't mind long loading times. I've actually timed my self and practiced a lot with reloading my AR15, i have gotten a fast time of just under 4 sec mind you this at a range not in a combat situation under fire and i have not received any military training. Any reload time around that time seems generally okay to me.
Old 2012-06-27, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
HeatLegend
Master Sergeant

I'd prefer it at at least three seconds, it will make each bullet feel like it counts. I like realism.
Old 2012-06-27, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
gufftroad
Corporal

Originally Posted by Policenaut View Post
When I was watching the E3 demo, I noticed some of the guns with smaller clips seemed to have sizable reload times.
all the guns i have seen in this game use magazines
clip =/= magazine

sorry but there is quite a large difference and I'm ocd about it
Old 2012-06-27, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by HeatLegend View Post
I'd prefer it at at least three seconds, it will make each bullet feel like it counts. I like realism.
i'm pretty sure a modern day soldier can load his gun in less then 3 seconds
especially if the clip is empty since he will drop it, a half empty clip would be put back in the vest, so that would take longer.
Old 2012-06-27, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Arovien
First Sergeant

Longer reload times gives slightly more depth to simple reloading. Perfectly fine.
Old 2012-06-27, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
gufftroad
Corporal

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
i'm pretty sure a modern day soldier can load his gun in less then 3 seconds
especially if the clip is empty since he will drop it, a half empty clip would be put back in the vest, so that would take longer.
you reload a weapon with a clip by lining up ammunition and pushing it into an internal magazine if you have a half empty clip you haven't fully reloaded your weapon. and you generally throw clips away after use as they are tiny pieces of metal

if you mean magazine then many magazines have a lip at the top which you have to put in first this prevents the magazine from accidentally falling out it also means you can't drop it out with gravity and requires more time to be spent removing it

tl;dr clips aren't magazines and 3 seconds is a REALLY fast reload

Last edited by gufftroad; 2012-06-27 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 2012-06-27, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Ratstomper
Major

I actually like slower reload times. I've seen youtubes of (real) guys reloading CRAZY fast: but they're the exception, not the rule. I think slower reload times help mitigate the more twitchy gameplay that alot of people don't like and helps to support more tactical gameplay: waiting until a lull in the action to reload, taking cover to reload, making your shots counts, etc.

Last edited by Ratstomper; 2012-06-27 at 01:25 PM.
Old 2012-06-27, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Ignoring simulation or realistic comments and counter comments, it needs to be what fits the gameplay of PS2. Personally I think it would be better for the gameplay if its a little slow so it requires you to plan when to reload and think about it instead of doing it willy nilly. Not saying it should take forever but enough that if someone caught you just as you reload or you decide to reload in a fight, your vulnerable.
Old 2012-06-27, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Policenaut
Sergeant

Originally Posted by gufftroad View Post
you reload a weapon with a clip by lining up ammunition and pushing it into an internal magazine if you have a half empty clip you haven't fully reloaded your weapon. and you generally throw clips away after use as they are tiny pieces of metal

if you mean magazine then many magazines have a lip at the top which you have to put in first this prevents the magazine from accidentally falling out it also means you can't drop it out with gravity and requires more time to be spent removing it

tl;dr clips aren't magazines and 3 seconds is a REALLY fast reload
I think most people have been on the internet long enough to know that a clip isn't a magazine and usually use "clip" for brevity since everyone knows what they're talking about, we don't really need to derail the thread for semantics.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion