Trying to picture actual tank tactics - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hold still now....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-18, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Re: Trying to picture actual tank tactics

Two words: Ghost Division.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
CheeZeX
Corporal

Back in the day on Emerald NC I ran a tank outfit called ReD RuM Inc.

We would constantly field between 10-30 tanks at a given time.

The best tactics we used was surveying the incoming terrain and setting waypoints as to where the high ground / low ground were. Once you have this tactical advantage (and support to go with it from lodes/SGs) enemy forces really do just crumble.

Plus its always smart to have a backup / escape route planned.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Assuming you're outnumbered 10 to 30, but you have the advantage of knowing where the column is going to come driving, you could have your ten tanks behind a hill, and then you could work together with the infiltrator to shower them with a relatively precise barrage of shells... before they can even see you.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
twistnlick
Private

Trying to picture actual tank tactics
From what's been seen on the videos so far: very few/none.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

I'm going to go with the magical little button "S"

That allows you to reverse!

As for actual tank battles and tactics, I'm really excited/curious to see how it plays out with the relatively low amount of shots each tank can sustain, but at the same time the idea of 30+ tanks shelling each other from a quarter mile away makes me all giddy inside.

I suspect flanking will really be the only viable tactic, but hopefully, MAYBE, there will actually be viable tactics based upon each tanks strengths.

Example, from history of course!

The Crusader was a British tank deployed in North Africa, it was very fast but lightly armored and armed. They went against Panzer IIIs, which had better range and armor.

Crusader=Prowler, Panzer III=Vanguard.

In order to negate the enemies advantage, the Prowler shall charge the enemy, closing the distance with their great speed, and then attempting to use their maneuverability to destroy the Vanguards. This is exactly what happened in WW2!!!

Sounds EpIcZzZz to me
Old 2012-07-18, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

If there are squad on squad spawning, and Galaxy spawning, than the only "tank tactics" that will exist would be to hunt galaxies down and shoot in random directions.

There won't be any tank vs tank battles in between bases because you won't have to defend bringing your AMS's up.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
If there are squad on squad spawning, and Galaxy spawning, than the only "tank tactics" that will exist would be to hunt galaxies down and shoot in random directions.

There won't be any tank vs tank battles in between bases because you won't have to defend bringing your AMS's up.
Disagree, the best counter to an armored column is another armored column! If you show up to a fight without tanks, and the other team has tanks, you lose. Especially if even one of those tanks is equipped with AA.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
SixShooter
Captain

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post

Oh, well okay then. I guess you've summed it up and there is no point in even trying. Move along everyone, nothing to discuss here...

Old 2012-07-18, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
Disagree, the best counter to an armored column is another armored column! If you show up to a fight without tanks, and the other team has tanks, you lose. Especially if even one of those tanks is equipped with AA.
Everything revolves around the spawn point. Since the infantry spawn point (galaxy) can fly then the only way to defend that spawn point is with more air. Tanks are going to be useless.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

@Landtank: I think that the Prowler actually has higher damage output than the Vanny (assuming that both shots hit and that the reload times are similar), so I wouldn't go discounting the firepower of the Black Dreamcast of Death just yet...

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

They may be useless, bit I'm still gonna have mad fun driving them around looking for the other useless drivers in their useless tanks and shooting the crap out of each other, while protected by useless? AA tanks and useless engineer drivers.

Not everything has to have a purpose. This is about fun first, then efficiency.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
@Landtank: I think that the Prowler actually has higher damage output than the Vanny (assuming that both shots hit and that the reload times are similar), so I wouldn't go discounting the firepower of the Black Dreamcast of Death just yet...
I think it will be the same if both shots hit, maybe a tad higher, but I always assumed that if they both sat there shooting each other then the Vanguard would win, since that's what it is designed for
Old 2012-07-18, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
SixShooter
Captain

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
They may be useless, bit I'm still gonna have mad fun driving them around looking for the other useless drivers in their useless tanks and shooting the crap out of each other, while protected by useless? AA tanks and useless engineer drivers.

Not everything has to have a purpose. This is about fun first, then efficiency.
I also look forward to driving useless tanks and killing the shit out of other useless tanks and any other useless vehicles and useless infantry that I see. It sounds like a useless good time!

Old 2012-07-18, 11:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
I also look forward to driving useless tanks and killing the shit out of other useless tanks and any other useless vehicles and useless infantry that I see. It sounds like a useless good time!
But you're vanu!

Maybe we can roll together? Make an outfit? You don't NEED outfits. So they're useless too.

And cuz nobody will be driving tanks, maybe we could go for dual AV maxes as well! Cuz they're DUAL useless.

Last edited by StumpyTheOzzie; 2012-07-18 at 11:39 PM.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
But you're vanu!

Maybe we can roll together? Make an outfit? You don't NEED outfits. So they're useless too.

And cuz nobody will be driving tanks, maybe we could go for dual AV maxes as well! Cuz they're DUAL useless.
2x the uselessness, 2x the cool.

Can't wait for these damn tank battles..
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion