How strong is the incentive to live? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your safehouse from the Official Forums
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-16, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
MCYRook
Staff Sergeant

Re: How strong is the incentive to live?

Originally Posted by Ninjacalypse View Post
I'm pretty sure the servers are closed now and rarely open only for specific events.
What are you talking about?
Old 2012-07-16, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
fvdham
Staff Sergeant

Currently there is one PlanetSide 1 server running.
There are many players on this server until 27 july 2012 because of free passes to vets.
After this there will be less players.
The PlanetSide 1 server will keep running even after the release of PlanetSide 2.
Old 2012-07-16, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

No Retreat, No Surrender. I've often fought to the last spawn tube on a cont.

Originally Posted by Ninjacalypse View Post
I'm pretty sure the servers are closed now and rarely open only for specific events. There was one recently I believe but I have a feeling there won't be many or more at all of those.
servers are still open 24/7.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-07-16, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Karrade
First Sergeant

Yes I was a proud TR base pusher I would often charge in throw a couple of nades or use the flamer, knowing I was going down but the clustered corridor with about 10 or 15 enemy ahead was now completely screwed, and my team would push them back.

I got nothing for it, but the knowledge I earned about 10 meters of base - this will change in PS2 hopefully, as now damage rewards exp and people will be a bit less clustered in these layouts imho

Still Spawn to win, is the way to go when it counts just keep the pressure on, especially as you can come down anywhere at present, even right on top of the person that just killed you.
Old 2012-07-16, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Why worry about dying (for the thousandth time) when you've got a Clone prepped and ready to take on all your memories and physical attributes?
Old 2012-07-16, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
DukeTerror
Private

The OP did have a good point about wanting to survive and the thrill one gets when surviving a certain death. Just mislead in the idea that would happen in a base defense.

That thrill is going to come from sitting helpless in a galaxy watching it hammered with rockets and throwing out a black smoke. You panic sets in and you finger the eject button, but your discipline holds you until the commander gives the order. The bird arcs over the base walls and the order finally comes, "bail, bail, bail" the entire squad ejects just as the last rocket finishes their task and your team lands to the ground under the cover of falling debris.
Old 2012-07-17, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Steel
Private

Heres to hoping that the bailing mechanism is working.

Old 2012-07-17, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
BeastBuster
Private

Originally Posted by DukeTerror View Post
The OP did have a good point about wanting to survive and the thrill one gets when surviving a certain death. Just mislead in the idea that would happen in a base defense.

That thrill is going to come from sitting helpless in a galaxy watching it hammered with rockets and throwing out a black smoke. You panic sets in and you finger the eject button, but your discipline holds you until the commander gives the order. The bird arcs over the base walls and the order finally comes, "bail, bail, bail" the entire squad ejects just as the last rocket finishes their task and your team lands to the ground under the cover of falling debris.
That does sound awesome, I am definitely look forward to that!

I'll just have to adopt the mindset of fighting to the last man haha.
Old 2012-07-17, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by BeastBuster View Post
When this game was first announced I immediately started imagining all these epic scenarios in my head. One of these scenarios plays out like this:

The factions have been fighting over a base for a long time and the attackers have managed to whittle away the defense. There is still a small pocket of defenders holding off the enemy, but they are ultimately doomed. It is only a matter of time before the attackers push through and finish them off.

In my head, the defenders would send out a distress call for an air evac, or maybe even some Sunderers could roll in and bail get them out of there. Realistically, I expect that they would just keep fighting, die, and then respawn somewhere else.

I didn't play PS1, but did these kind of evacs occur in the original? If so, do you think its reasonable to assume they would happen in PS2?

Finally, if the answer is no, would people like to see this kind of thing happening?
I never played PS1, but I would imagine cases of evac will happen amongst friends and outfits but will be the exception not the rule. TEAM BASE FPS's generally do not boil down to kills and deaths but rather the idea of time, assets, and control or rather how much time do you control the other teams assest in life or death.

For example while and evac might be epic and cool from time to time, but the remaining 10 guys that keep the 50 guys occupied for 10 minutes keep the 50 guys from reinforcing and establishing defences for 10 minutes so the rest of the team can push forward in those 10 minutes. Or if someone wastes a tank for 10 minutes trying to kill 1 guy instead of moving up to engage the other teams vehicles or a larger target.

While being 10 guys being a pain in the ass for 50 to root out will end up getting killed in the long run it's better for your team as a whole if you dig in and wreak havoc before you die.

Last edited by VaderShake; 2012-07-17 at 03:44 PM.
Old 2012-07-17, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
The only time we've evacuated a base was in the scenario when we look at the overall situation, realise we're losing ground and decide our best hope is to fight at that base over there rather than the one we're at.

When we do this it would be generally be before the battle started.
I can recall ONCE with an actual dual phantasm evac similar to what the OP was describing. And it was a case like this, on a pop-locked cyssor. Vterm down though we hadn't 100% lost the CY. No way to respawn to get out of the base we were on. Recalling to sanc would have put us in the Queue to get back on continent, and most of the squad was still bound to a base on a home continent. We were stuck at a bad base, at a losing fight in a bad base and NEEDED to move to Bomazi. Two phantasms swooped in to a clear area of the CY picked up the squad and hauled balls across the continent.

All other times something like this has come up... spawing to a tower to another base and flying out, or just recalling to sanc, or just being prepared and having the squad bound to the correct base.
Old 2012-07-17, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

There was an artificial method of strengthening the incentive to live in the original game called cave closing. The problem was - the caves were never much of an important asset once they got closed.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
SUBARU
Master Sergeant

I do not like dying,its not fun.I avoid it at all cost

Last edited by SUBARU; 2012-07-18 at 12:38 PM.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
ShowNoMercy
Corporal

Ps1 is still up and running, recently we have even been getting pop locks - still pretty fun and is beneficial to play in order to get to know the community.
Old 2012-07-19, 02:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Ninjacalypse
Corporal

Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
Ps1 is still up and running, recently we have even been getting pop locks - still pretty fun and is beneficial to play in order to get to know the community.
How the hell do you even get a subscription though? All the links on the SOE and the PS1 site and even the PS1 launcher itself don't seem to work.

Edit: Hrmmm, nvm I figured it out. SOE makes it extremely difficult though and charges twice as much for a game key as gamefly does for some reason.

Last edited by Ninjacalypse; 2012-07-19 at 03:35 AM.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Tehroth
Corporal

They should put xp penalties on for dying over and over. That way people won't keep rushing to be expandable units. That is my only grip with fps, when you die it doesn't matter. Wish a fps would implement harsh penalties for dying.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions