Building Forward Bases - Supply Bases. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Just Play it
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-03, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SkitzoSniper
Private

Re: Building Forward Bases - Supply Bases.

Originally Posted by Kilmoran View Post
First of all.. the Galaxy in this version seems to already do what you are suggesting the Sunderer should do.

And mobile vehicle spawns? Absolutely... 100% ...hell no. No.. no no no. No. There is far too much that can be abused from that... vehicles can change the entire way an operation will go, and being able to flank from all sides because of a few lodestars? Completely not in favor of this.

R&R capability, absolutely. Infantry spawns, certainly, as a couple of tank can wreck that if it is discovered. Even forward defenses, absolutely fine for holding a more open territory given how the hex system of territories will work. But having all sorts of vehicles convert in to mini R&R "villas" on their own i think is a bad way to approach it.
I am absolutely for mobile vechicle spawns. As long as it is not advanced, or "tech" vehicles or air craft, i am 100% for mobile vehicle spawn.

Old 2012-04-06, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Kilmoran View Post
First of all.. the Galaxy in this version seems to already do what you are suggesting the Sunderer should do.

And mobile vehicle spawns? Absolutely... 100% ...hell no. No.. no no no. No. There is far too much that can be abused from that... vehicles can change the entire way an operation will go, and being able to flank from all sides because of a few lodestars? Completely not in favor of this.

R&R capability, absolutely. Infantry spawns, certainly, as a couple of tank can wreck that if it is discovered. Even forward defenses, absolutely fine for holding a more open territory given how the hex system of territories will work. But having all sorts of vehicles convert in to mini R&R "villas" on their own i think is a bad way to approach it.
I agree with this.
Old 2012-04-03, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

In one of the interviews they talked about deployable towers I thought? Something about calling orbital drops for forward bases...

Damnit, going to have to go back and look...
Old 2012-04-03, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Magpie
Sergeant Major

EVIl PIG that is just awesome, I love it!!
Old 2012-04-03, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

oh hell yes! I love this idea!
Old 2012-04-03, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

Definite fan of mobile bases here...
I was personally thinking of forming a base-deploying division of the 666th

NC Brig. General ಠ_ರೃ
Old 2012-04-03, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
SKYeXile
Major General

Yea it was one of the cool things you could do in PS1 with a load/ams and aegis generators...i would ahve hopped it comeback in PS2, along with deployable engineer defences like walls to further fortify an area.

or even deploy a bunker or base to further had to the sandbox nature of the game.

I remember saying this all before :/

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-03, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Pretty cool! This is along the lines of how we want to see deploy-able vehicles and overall logistics work for sure.
Old 2012-04-04, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
SkitzoSniper
Private

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Pretty cool! This is along the lines of how we want to see deploy-able vehicles and overall logistics work for sure.
This one post you made is already more information than we ever recieved from the original Planetside team

Old 2012-04-03, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Stardouser
Colonel

Another thought, not because I want to copy Project Reality but simply to put it out there, is that in that game forward bases are built by soldiers, instead of plopped down and deployed. There's a certain construction time and then they are there.

World War 2 Online also has built forward bases though I don't know how they are built.

The key is, is the distance between the last friendly base and the nearest enemy base enough to justify that?
Old 2012-04-03, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

You know.. if the Sunderer/Deliverer could become a sort of "wall section" for gunners/guns to hold a position.. i'd be up for that.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post

World War 2 Online also has built forward bases though I don't know how they are built.
forward bases in WW2Online are basically an infy spawn and a vehicle spawn. You capture it much like capping a flag in BF series conquest.

You defend by spawning vehicles, AA and infy.

It can be taken out with Sappers (think Support in BF3) placing an explosive charge on the Spawn. 4 renders that spawn useless. Once the spawns are destroyed, infy can cap the flag.

Whats nice about WW2online is that you have to defend your FBs if you want to succeed in capping a town.

One person has said that a vehicle spawn at the FB is a bad idea, but actually it is absolutely necessary so that it doesn't become farmville.
Old 2012-04-04, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
forward bases in WW2Online are basically an infy spawn and a vehicle spawn. You capture it much like capping a flag in BF series conquest.
Did this change? When I last played there was always a FB base between towns owned by opposing countries. You did not capture them at all. To gain a forward base, you destroyed the enemy's, then your forward base would appear. It was the towns and cities that were captured though a flag mechanic.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-05, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Did this change? When I last played there was always a FB base between towns owned by opposing countries. You did not capture them at all. To gain a forward base, you destroyed the enemy's, then your forward base would appear. It was the towns and cities that were captured though a flag mechanic.
You are correct. 4 charges on the Infy Spawn and 4 Charges on the Vehicle spawn blew the FB and it was yours.
Old 2012-04-03, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

I do like this idea, though I wonder if the lack of big open expanses that were found in PS1 would make this unnecessary. Assuming that every inch of the map is capturable, the distances between spawn and supply points might be a lot smaller in PS2, and thus a "forward base" might not be quite as vital to making progress into enemy territory.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion