Release = Optimized? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The best thing since sliced bread.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-11-18, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Mechzz
Major

Re: Release = Optimized?

double post. Derp.

Last edited by Mechzz; 2012-11-18 at 11:01 AM.
Old 2012-11-18, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by BlueSmiley View Post
Sup dawgs,

I didn't notice any performance increases the last few patches and i'm tired of playing this game with 20 ~ 30 FPS and getting killed all the time just because I can't aim for p00 with these poor framerates.
I do understand that it was a beta, BUT, since the game is releasing, do they have a build with decent optimisations ready or so?

I have an AMD Phenom II x6 1100T and a Zotac Geforce GTX 670 AMP! Edition, so I should be able to run the game on medium easily. I play games like BF3 and Crysis 2 on ultra without any problems. I know those games ain't CPU-bound, but seriously... This ain't cool.
I have the same CPU and found that overclocking it to 3.9 GHz gave me an extra 10-15 frames. I also o'ced my card (HD 6870 1GB) but beta closed before I could try it out.

Have you considered this approach? I'm a total novice at it, but just used the auto-tune utilities that came free with my mobo and the card. (There was also a utility to let me see temps and fan speeds I hadn't found earlier).

Last edited by Mechzz; 2012-11-18 at 01:28 PM.
Old 2012-11-18, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
BlueSmiley
Private

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
I have the same processor and found that overclocking it to 3.9 GHz gave me an extra 10-15 frames. I've also overclocked my card (HD 6870 1GB) but beta closed before I could test it.

Have you considered overclocking? I'm a total novice, but just used the auto-tunes tools
Yep, Turbo Boost is on.
My GPU is already overclocked.
Old 2012-11-18, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
ThePackage
Private

Originally Posted by Snipefrag View Post
So does this just mean the game still runs shit on AMD for certain people? Personally i have a Intel 3930k 3.2Ghz 6 cores (12 hyper-threaded), OC'ed to 4.2Ghz and normally stay around 100 fps. 50 when frapsing, so cant say i notice any optimisations .
No one, and I mean no one gets 100 FPS all the time. It's simply impossible.

I'm running a 3570k at 5.1 ghz and can't even touch 60 FPS in large battles.
Old 2012-11-18, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I would also not believe everything people write down here in the psu Forums.
Old 2012-11-18, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

Optimization is something they never stop.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-11-18, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
ThePackage
Private

I understand why they chose to go with DX9 for initial development. However, they're really going to have to work hard to bring in the substantial performance increases they need. I don't see any large improvements, for high end rigs, happening until they switch to something more threaded.

They really need to migrate to DX11 as quickly as possible if they want to showcase a well performing game.
Old 2012-11-18, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

The game utilized 2 cores, and less than 2 gigs of ram on my rig at the last patch of beta. According to their recommendation list i should be fine with:
Amd 955 @ 3.6gzh
8 GB RAM
Gtx 660ti

But i get 70 fps at warpgate and 30fps in any battle no matter what graphics setting i have on. The game just was not optimized that well. Even people with high end i5s are struggling to get a constant 60 frames, which recommended specs should be for playing the game on medium settings and getting 60+ frames.

Last edited by SpcFarlen; 2012-11-18 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2012-11-18, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by ThePackage View Post
I understand why they chose to go with DX9 for initial development. However, they're really going to have to work hard to bring in the substantial performance increases they need. I don't see any large improvements, for high end rigs, happening until they switch to something more threaded.

They really need to migrate to DX11 as quickly as possible if they want to showcase a well performing game.
They won't change to DX11 for the same reason CCP hasn't changed EVE Online to DX9. They WANT people with lower end machines to play their game. The game was build with that perspective. Changing would force people into buying new GPUs, which most won't do because of a single game.

So yes, the performance increase should be astronomical in this game. Hopefully they can do so.
Old 2012-11-18, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dkamanus View Post
They won't change to DX11 for the same reason CCP hasn't changed EVE Online to DX9. They WANT people with lower end machines to play their game. The game was build with that perspective. Changing would force people into buying new GPUs, which most won't do because of a single game.

So yes, the performance increase should be astronomical in this game. Hopefully they can do so.
Can always add an option between the two. BF:BC2 had the option to switch between the two DX version. So its not like thats new technology.
Old 2012-11-18, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by SpcFarlen View Post
Can always add an option between the two. BF:BC2 had the option to switch between the two DX version. So its not like thats new technology.
I'm not an expert of computer technology, but they'd need to spend a whole lot of development to put a DX11 in the game. Wouldn't mind, but, at least for now, isn't cost-worthy for them.
Old 2012-11-18, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Dkamanus View Post

But if you look at Steam Stats, less than 5% of Steam users have DX9 or older machines. 95% are on DX10 and newer.

Are people with Core Duo's and 512MB cards getting the same frames as people with high end i5's and SLI'd monster cards? Or is the game just a write-off for them and SOE have wasted their time and our money by targeting these older machines?
Old 2012-11-18, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
But if you look at Steam Stats, less than 5% of Steam users have DX9 or older machines. 95% are on DX10 and newer.

Are people with Core Duo's and 512MB cards getting the same frames as people with high end i5's and SLI'd monster cards? Or is the game just a write-off for them and SOE have wasted their time and our money by targeting these older machines?
We must remember (and I have an opinion as well): The Forgelight engine is be used in a huge array of new games coming from SOE, being Planetside 2 the first, followed by the Everquest NEXT. Planetside, from my point of view, is being used as a test bed for technologies SOE is developing for her future games. Yes, not everyone nowadays uses DX9 video cards, but a lot can be achieved with those still.

Gamers of everquest might not be so forward in changing their PCs, compared to FPS players, where fluidity is everything. I believe that's why they decided to go with DX9.

They prefer to be safe and sound. The more the merrier, specially in this type of bussiness model. They will try to get those people inside as well, and, in last case, minimize the problems of not being able to get better performance for those low end PCs, so will start praizing more the middle-to-high-end PC gamers.
Old 2012-11-18, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Aye I haven't seen any surveys for years that show WinXP as having a really substantial user base among PC gamers.
I'm rather certain that the majority of all PC owners use either Vista, Win7 or Win 8. Of course there are still a lot of XP users.
I don't know how old the Forgelight (Forge Light?) engine is or how much of a factor that plays.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2012-11-18 at 02:14 PM.
Old 2012-11-18, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
LaggMaster
Private

I run a 1055t with the 5770. I get between 40-70fps. Last week of patching fixed all the frame lagging for me.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion