Chalk me up as another vet that loves Planetside2 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Only we have the answer.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-16, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Wahooo
Captain

Re: Chalk me up as another vet that loves Planetside2

Originally Posted by Illtempered View Post
Oh, and I never said DT didn't know how to play. That would be putting words in my mouth. I have always contended that they were the best outfit Planetside ever had. I really feared going up against them on TR Emerald, and I'm quite sure they could kick significant ass in PS2 if they intended to. I don't know why they aren't playing.
I inturpreted figgy's remark on DT not that you said they didn't know how to play, but rather they are not playing PS2 because they think it is crap... or at least has too many problems to be worth the effort.

Espion for one, haven't seen him around for a long time. Basically it took ages for the devs to recognize in Beta a lot of what he foresaw as issues pre-tech test, and a LOT of what he said pre-tech test / early Beta as major game problems still haven't been addressed.
Old 2013-01-16, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Illtempered
First Sergeant

"Ask them about what they think of the game and also try telling them they don't know how to play it. Go on."

I certainly didn't mean to say they didn't know how to play. I'm curious as to why they aren't playing. If my outfit of mostly new players can easily hold a Biolab, among some other farms, while being greatly outnumbered, I'm quite sure DT could defend some bases.

Remember this is just my perspective from the dynamic on Waterson. Maybe all of our opponents on the server are just utter garbage. *shrug*
Old 2013-01-16, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
FreeSpeech
Corporal

They have listened to some aspects, but NC still don't get any love in their patch. They must all love easy kills when playing their VS or TR counterparts.
Old 2013-01-16, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
...they are not playing PS2 because they think it is crap... or at least has too many problems to be worth the effort....
I remember seeing a post by one of the guys from DT mentioning that a lot of their players had stopped playing for pretty much that reason. I can't provide anything like a source so take that with salt or a spoonful of sugar or whatever.

If any of them are around I'm sure they can make their own remarks.

To add my own 2cents, it's a decent game in it's own right but for a variety of reasons it doesn't feel like a Planetside game to me. Of course I can hardly put into words what a 'Planetside game' would be like other than 'Planetside-like' so...To try and make sense of what I want to say: PS2 is a good game, but it's not a good Planetside game. It can be, I think PS2 could be a better Planetside game than Planetside ever was. It's just going to take time (and a lot of effort) to get it there. Only time will vindicate it.

TLDR: I'm glad you like the game.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-01-16, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Yeah dude, don't make assumptions about people and why they do or don't like something, and no need to insult them for it. I mean, no one else around here would ever do that, would they?

Old 2013-01-16, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
OCNSethy
Major

@ Illtempered

Thanks for your insight, I for one appreciate your perspective on how this game is going. It is unfortunate that some people feel the need to go all uber-critical when faced with a personal, positive opinion.

Thanks again man, stay frosty.
Old 2013-01-16, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Illtempered View Post
Meh, to each his own. I've read many of your concerns, and tend to agree with you on the faults, but I guess I just don't agree that they are game-breaking.

Oh, and I never said DT didn't know how to play. That would be putting words in my mouth. I have always contended that they were the best outfit Planetside ever had. I really feared going up against them on TR Emerald, and I'm quite sure they could kick significant ass in PS2 if they intended to. I don't know why they aren't playing.
I didn't intend to put words in your mouth as I did not expect you to mean that (you did insinuate it regarding others by posting your solution, but I picked out DT because you could identify with them better), just to remind you that they simply can't get themselves to care for the game due to the way it is designed. That's all.

The concerns DT have is pretty much that of why others aren't playing. It's not that we can't, it's that we don't really like where it's been going so far.

Me personally, I think they can still make the changes before everything is rusted in. But they shouldn't wait too long if they want those players back and retain a large portion of the current players. Cause we're not the only ones seeing the same problems.

It only becomes gamebreaking when you're not willing to accept defense and therefore somewhat meaningful conquest (as in, can retain it by defense) are not truly part of this game in a fair and fun way.

Here be some DT quotes when I asked them specifically for input on my base redesigns:

http://www.deltatriad.com/forum/show...cking-ur-pies-)

Just read through the responses and see what I mean. It's not that they can't play PS2 as most that "use the work arounds available" (like spawning elsewhere constantly), it's that it's not the way the game should work on a lot of levels that together creates this apathy. Me personally, I'm sad it has come to this. If it had been just me, it'd been just me. :/ But it's all the outfits from PS1 that had higher goals, put the most thought into it and worked the hardest for the empire that are the first to find this incarnation "not delivering".

That's very telling.

(And again Illtemp - never meant to insult you, just correct and remind).

Again, you have every right to have a positive opinion of the game, but just don't misinterpret the reasonings to dislike. Things like vehicle spam have much more to do with small vs large group balance than infantry vs vehicles.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-01-16 at 06:27 PM.
Old 2013-01-16, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Aurmanite
Captain

It's a good thing that a lot of "veterans" aren't playing anymore. Less vitriol, less rage, less entitlement, less whining (if only). These people must have forgotten what Planetside boards looked like back in 04. They definitely forgot what the game looked like in 03.
Old 2013-01-16, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Crator
Major General

All good points OP. Should help the noob player out. Also, I think most people have fun when just starting to play the game (once they figure things out). But after a while it is a bit shallow and we need some tweeks to make the game deeper.

I think the aggravation by some, not just vets, is that the smaller groups of people are having issues with playing the way they want. They don't want to have to be coordinated and directed by the zerg. The base defensibility is a big part of that one. The game is just a bit too fast paced imo.

Good luck with the F2P system. I don't have any suggestions to make F2P viable while at the same time fixing the game to conform to it to make it more rewarding/fun.
Old 2013-01-16, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
psijaka
Contributor
Major

@ Illtempered - excellent OP; a cut above the usual.
Old 2013-01-16, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

+1 to the OP...of course I also don't have any legacy PS1 experience. That said, I am hopeful for the changes that are inbound.

The constructive and informational critiques aren't a bother to me. But the pages worth of loud, foot stomping and gnashing of teeth get's tiresome to sift thru.
Old 2013-01-16, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
RedPower
Corporal

Shame on you!Keep enjoying your BFOL ,dude~
Old 2013-01-17, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
IamEternal
Private

Originally Posted by RedPower View Post
Shame on you!Keep enjoying your BFOL ,dude~
I dont get the BF refrences everyone makes. I played a bunch of the BF series and none of them make me think PS2. BF are small maps with short matches. I couldn't drop pod into locations, or spawn whatever vehicle I needed. There were no warpgates, terminals, or persistent environments. What faction you were on had no bearing outside of that one particular match.

The only similarity I can see between PS2 and BF is that they are both FPS. I feel there is more similarity between PS2 and PS1 than between PS2 and BF. The ability to change your class at a whime, Customizing it with certs and SC. Weapon upgrades, and vehicle enhancements. You find your style and you invest in it.

Yes, PS2 still has a lot of work to be done to it. So did PS1 when it first came out. We cant blame the developers for its early release, that's on Sony. Let's thank them for at least getting a playable game out for use in the short amount of time they had, and be appreciative that they are excited enough about the game and it's player base to keep on fixing things. Eventually this game is going to be better then PS1, I truly believe that. Just be patient and have faith in the developers. Perfection takes time, your hate and flaming wont help.

I for one would like to thank the developers for what they have given us so far and look forward to what they have coming in the future. I know they want this game to be as amazing as we do and will do everything they can to make it that way. Let's give them our support and encouragement so they continue to want to work on it.

#mytwocents
Old 2013-01-17, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by IamEternal View Post
I dont get the BF refrences everyone makes.
It's meant as an insult, much in the same way that making references to CoD, or console players is used. It's just smarmy, arrogant douche-baggery.

Pay it no mind.
Old 2013-01-17, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Rolfski
Major

Great post OP! Being positive about this game in this forum can be very challenging, as I know from my own experience.

I agree with you on your points too, except for the P2W argument. Yes, guns are very expensive and some are a bit P2W but generally, you can be very competitive in this game without having to spend a single dime.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion