Friendly Fire? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Qoute me as saying I was mis-qouted.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should there be Friendly Fire?
Yes to FF 124 91.85%
No to FF 6 4.44%
Undecided for now. 5 3.70%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-23, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Friendly Fire?

FF needs to be in the game, hopeful this is just a testing phase and they realize it's really needed. The game would be a spamfest without it.

Just think, enemies in alongside friendly's all you need to do is drop a grenade in the group.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-08-23, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Raymac
Brigadier General

To play devil's advocate (since finally there is something we all agree on besides the new Hair God), I can imagine an assaulting squad laying down a wall of fire being met by a defending squad doing the same and colliding in a glorious expolsion of death and destruction....of course that can still happen with friendly fire on, I guess.

Old 2011-08-23, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
bjorntju1
Captain

Accidentally voted for no, but i meant yes. Slipped the button

But if there's no FF everyone would just spam weapons,grenades etcetera. If there is FF you need to be more tactical and you cant just spray away. Now what i personally think is a nice system is that if a bullet does 10 damage to an enemy player, it does let's say 5 to an friendly. It would dis-encourage players to just spam weapons, but it would be harder to kill an friendly then an enemy. So if an friendly walks in front of your gun, grenade etc. it would do less damage. Most of my TK or friendly fire in the original come from people walking in front of my weapon while i am firing.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2011-08-23 at 05:17 PM.
Old 2011-08-23, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
It's possible that there will be no FF, but there WILL be a grief system. I think that might be best to punish the griefers for hitting friendlies, but ease the pain of friendly fire hitting me in the back all the damn time.

It would be unrealistic, but imagine the possibilities if FF damaged the offender and left the victim unharmed?
Originally Posted by Logit View Post
Bye bye dueling
Comon', dueling doesn't have to disappear. Just give players a duel system. Two or more people have to accept the duel request and then, game on!
Old 2011-08-23, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

All I ask for is not to penalize running someone over when on your screen you clearly missed them. I hated that about PS1 where you would get grief for "running over" a player with high ping because you hit them on their screen, but not yours. There's no way to predict someone will run in front of your tank 2 seconds after you passed them! LOL
Old 2011-08-23, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Voted YES, because FF "makes sense" from both grief and game play perspectives and adding it later on would be a very, very bad idea.
Old 2011-08-23, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Quovatis View Post
All I ask for is not to penalize running someone over when on your screen you clearly missed them. I hated that about PS1 where you would get grief for "running over" a player with high ping because you hit them on their screen, but not yours. There's no way to predict someone will run in front of your tank 2 seconds after you passed them! LOL
Ya, can they not write in code that would invalidate the collision if say the packets were the issue? I guess that would be kind of weird looking though. Your client would all of the sudden say you were hit one second but then give back the HP and grief if it determined you didn't actually collide?
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-23, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Friendly Fire is a straight up skill increase to a FPS game. You have to learn fire control and it also keeps cheesy tactics like grenade spam in a busy hallway from being a viable tactic (yes we saw it in PS due to the sheer number of people, but it didn't take long for them to get tons of grief and stop doing it or get weaponslocked - without friendly fire it would have been far, far worse). It also is an increase reward for better positioning & crossfire since too many players in one intermingling tends to cause friendly fire.

The idea of it not being there feels like a step in the wrong direction as I considered the grief system a really good system for friendly fire and one of the great parts of PS1.
Old 2011-08-23, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

FF is key to gameplay, even if you have to delay the game, you just do it, cause the game is not done if you cant even get FF and a grief system. Its like launching without weapons and saying we will get em in shortly. Its too fundamental, you cant even balance things without FF on, that will later have FF included. Someone needs to turn their brain back on and just get it done.
Old 2011-08-23, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

In some other shooters, explosives can be stuck to friendlies so they can jump through a door, hole, what ever. So the explosive goes off instantly.

Just another example of no FF=Bad
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-08-23, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
Grief system was one of the near perfect systems from PS1.

No need for any change.
Personally i think that if anyone you know who is palying the game seriously, attempting to minimise their friendly fire and not TK'ing and is still getting weapons lock, then i would not say that it is perfect.

Weapons lock happens if:
  • You play a lot
  • You play as infantry in primetime basefights using aoe a lot
  • You play as a flail
  • Probably quite a few situations that others will recognise...

I don't do these things very much and thus i never hit weapons lock, however unfortunately there are some game mechanics that rack up greif much faster than others.

The system is not perfect, but it's definitely not that bad. I definitely can see how they may have scalability problems with the current system tho...

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2011-08-23, 10:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
Voted YES, because FF "makes sense" from both grief and game play perspectives and adding it later on would be a very, very bad idea.
This, when you try to think about game breaking ideas. This could potentially be something, if they don't add it, that will piss a lot of people off and possibly even turn them off from the game.

Spam is just annoying game play and nobody wants to deal with that shit day in and day out.
Old 2011-08-23, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
Weapons lock happens if You play as a flail
without a spotter.

Just had to add that, it was designed with that in mind. We just need better artillery with a direct view of a base, or more incentive to work as a team in long range siege weaponry.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-08-23, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Spotters these days have to be pretty skillful, dedicated and patient to stay alive constantly in a hotzone and not run off for kills of their own. In the current system, once grief starts to get high, it gets higher quicker.

Trying to develop a catch all system for griefing wankers, indiscriminate spammers and generally poor-team players is a pretty gutsy endevour.

I watched a douche-bag in a flight variant BFR the other day, jumping up and collecting freindly flail shot because he didn't like the guy who firing the flail. The current system would still need some tweaking, however griefing is a fact of life and having a perfect catch-all system to stop griefing is probably not possible.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2011-08-24, 01:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
I watched a douche-bag in a flight variant BFR the other day, jumping up and collecting freindly flail shot because he didn't like the guy who firing the flail.
That one hits. When the flying BFR jumps in the air the shield turns off. At that point it only takes the damage of 3 mines(?) to kill a flying variant. Or was this like directly in front of the flail?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion