There Has Never Been A Better Time To Play PlanetSide 2 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 80% Entertainment by Volume
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-11-15, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Re: There Has Never Been A Better Time To Play PlanetSide 2

Originally Posted by ItZMuRdA View Post
Honestly surprised at the apparent lack of optimism among many. It's no secret that I am in fact very optimistic about the future of the game (why not?), that PlanetSide 1 was my favorite game of all time, and that I am very invested in seeing and helping contribute to the success and future of the game in any way I can, but I can still say I am at least somewhat surprised by the feedback.

Lastly, while the game may not be ready for second wind 2.0 in terms of a huge re-advertising push, I still think this is the best time that we've ever had (read: past; not necessarily counting what may come in the future) to get the word out and hopefully bring a lot of people back. While the game will continue to improve, telling our friends/outfit mates/whomever that the game has come a long way in these 12 months is not something that we should wait too long on either. I'm hoping to have a solid core community that continues to grow before the (hopefully) massive influx from PS4 hits us in the coming months.

Nonetheless, thanks for the contributions to the thread(s) and comments thus far and please do keep them coming -- it is much appreciated.
Wait a moment...

This is the exact same statement you put on PS2's forums.

Are you even reading the responses, or are you just mass posting?

Yeah, I was actually about to say: Go Murda, here... but how about you actually evaluate what is being said.

You are -Going- to get a negative response on the main PS2 forums, the only reason people go there, is to complain. Getting a conversation going there, is like trying to cheer up a support group for suicidal people. That said, people here are just saying that if you want to do this, waiting for a couple months would be best. Wait until the things people Want are in place: Meta Game.

The game isn't going anywhere, and doing Basti's whole: Lets make a video and send it to half the internet to promote the game, now wont have much of an impact if there is nothing in place that will help retention. Moreover, just ignoring people who are trying to speak to you, is only going to tun the rest of your community support away from you.

Last edited by GeoGnome; 2013-11-15 at 07:34 PM.
Old 2013-11-15, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Boomzor View Post
They're done with the damage controle (or atleast a good portion of it). To jump from there to saying it's as good as it's ever gonna get is... well, exaggerated. To say the least.
Not what that means. PS2 has probably never been better than it is now, at least from a technical standpoint.
Does meant that it doesn't have a long ways to go still? Heck no, we still need to get a proper resource system, continental locking, sanctuary etc.
I agree with Crator's assesment. Those that found themselves unable to play before because of poor performance might want to try the game again. Those that stopped playing because of the lack of content, or not liking how the game plays currently, will probably want to keep waiting.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-11-15 at 08:03 PM.
Old 2013-11-15, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Boomzor
Staff Sergeant

Yeah.. I realize I jumped the gun a tad. After re-reading some of the posts, I whole heartedly agree with that assesment.
Tho the majority of my old outfit is squarely in that second camp who left for content reasons.
Old 2013-11-15, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Really?
Half of the video is saying that it's never been a better time to play PS2, because of what is coming.
Not what is here; what is coming.

That actually surely means: It will be a better time to play the game: LATER ON.

I love the game and I'm thrilled at the work they've put into O:MFG but this guy is pitching the game like talking to devs touched him divinely, and he is now their loyal disciple and town crier.

If I didn't love the game already and I saw this video, I would think:
Why does he sound so desperate if the game is that good?
Why is he doing the companys advertisement job for them? (which is why I asked how much SC he was paid, at times it seems like a shopping list of things that gamers wouldn't say, but marketing teams and managers would)

The video is excessively long, and he repeats himself.

All the time spent rambling about recruitment bonus process and rewards for example is not shit that is gonna bring people to the game, it's shit the devs want to push; especially given recent threads about people paying 10dollars or more on 10 new accounts just for some recruiting perks.

I see through it and if I can, the average sceptical gamer can.

As someone with a decent gaming rig and a focus on MAX play, personally I'd say the game was better in January 2013. Lock-downs and Shields added next to nothing to gameplay, while ZOE is out of control.
My MAX unit could squad deploy, instant action etc.. and it cost 100 resources instead of 350.

In Planetside 1, you made sacrifices to focus on being a full time MAX user - so you had to prioritise and lack in REXO, or vehicle selection as a result. Because there is no such specific skill points division in this, they just nerfed MAX units into garbage and ramped the price up because anyone could pull them.

CHEERS GUYS!

MAX patch, my arse.

Last edited by MaxDamage; 2013-11-15 at 09:29 PM.
Old 2013-11-15, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Skittles
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
Half of the video is saying that it's never been a better time to play PS2, because of what is coming.
Not what is here; what is coming.

That actually surely means: It will be a better time to play the game: LATER ON.

I love the game and I'm thrilled at the work they've put into O:MFG but this guy is pitching the game like talking to devs touched him divinely, and he is now their loyal disciple and town crier.

If I didn't love the game already and I saw this video, I would think:
Why does he sound so desperate if the game is that good?
Why is he doing the companys advertisement job for them? (which is why I asked how much SC he was paid, at times it seems like a shopping list of things that gamers wouldn't say, but marketing teams and managers would)

The video is excessively long, and he repeats himself.

All the time spent rambling about recruitment bonus process and rewards for example is not shit that is gonna bring people to the game, it's shit the devs want to push; especially given recent threads about people paying 10dollars or more on 10 new accounts just for some recruiting perks.

I see through it and if I can, the average sceptical gamer can.

As someone with a decent gaming rig and a focus on MAX play, personally I'd say the game was better in January 2013. Lock-downs and Shields added next to nothing to gameplay, while ZOE is out of control.
My MAX unit could squad deploy, instant action etc.. and it cost 100 resources instead of 350.

In Planetside 1, you made sacrifices to focus on being a full time MAX user - so you had to prioritise and lack in REXO, or vehicle selection as a result. Because there is no such specific skill points division in this, they just nerfed MAX units into garbage and ramped the price up because anyone could pull them.

CHEERS GUYS!

MAX patch, my arse.
I like this guy.

He's got potential.

And, he's speaking a lot more truth then the overly fanboi optimistic ItzMurda does. It would carry much more weight if at any given time Murda you actually ever said a bad thing about PS2 or SOE. Its one thing to be a fan of something, someone, some team, game company or what have you. Its completely another to never ever say anything bad about them. Ever.

The Yankees may have won the most WS titles ever, but its not like they are infallible. On the field or off. Management or otherwise. I've watched your stream quite a bit, but to hear you on there if SOE added Elves, magic spells, and tailoring skills to the game you could/would find value you in it.

Beyond the OMFG work they've been doing what exactly is so wonderful about PS2 now that wasn't there 6 months ago? 8 months ago that would win someone over and say "OH Hell yes, this is what has been missing!!!"?
Because, if it wasn't something that's in the CASH SHOP, there's not going to be that reaction for anyone coming back.

You've got the same 3 continents, 2 of which are rarely used. MLG that'll never make more then a baby fart noise if/when its ever put into place, and PS4 work that has ZERO bearing on the computer aspect of the game. I would actually say the PS4 work is actually more of a negative impact then a positive one.
Old 2013-11-15, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
Snip
I don't really care if you disagree with what was said in the video, that's entirely up to you, but do you really think it's constructive to accuse someone of being a sell out because said person has a more positive outlook than you? Come on.

Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
Snip
Again with the fanbois nonsense. You know, just because someone is more postive than oneself doesn't make that other person a "fanboy". Plus it's normally a bad idea to use ad hominem in a discussion.

We're supposed to be better than this.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-11-16 at 06:18 PM.
Old 2013-11-16, 01:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Mordelicius
Major

I don't have to watch it because it's preaching to the choir, and I'm already converted . Probably good for players who haven't played PS2 in a while.

OMFG1 is an excellent update. There are several bad features though:

- New Biolab spawn is awful (especially to us NC who has no medium/long range Max). Their Maxes are so far away shooting from a safe distance with engineers while NC are stuck, suppressed and gated.
- Random CRASHES!
- No Deploy Zone now apply to defenders of large bases (If it applies to defenders too, why apply it to attackers in the first place?)
- New health bar UI is not useful at all
- (minor) Dropping ammo and looking down clips field of view with the body (really awkward animation).

Aside from the Optimization, there are so many good improvements(check full patch notes). Examples:

- AV Mana Turret now has a spot Icon even when they are so far away (thanks for listening to our suggestions). It's so satisfying killing those f******, especially when they think they are not visible.
- AI turret bullet no longer clip shield.
- The new kill name tag is sweet.
- The new intermediary building and cover between Quartz Ridge and Indar Excavation is very nice. Imo, they should add extra rocks/corals in front of Indar Excavation as well.

As for the opening topic. I agree that old players should check out Planetside 2 again, especially with the smooth new optimization patch. And it's well tested in the PTS (funny seeing the Devs get slaughtered as NC and Sundy wiped over and over again. ::cough Sundies need survivability buff while deployed and NDZ isn't needed at all cough:: ).

Waterson Indar is pretty packed with large battles all over (so packed you'de often get a queue). And since players can actually get a Spawn (wow) on big fights, the running/transporting downtime has been significantly reduced. That's right, there's no more running around for 5-15 minutes just to get to base with a good fight.

The downside of the optimization is that alot incoming updates are pushed back (Hossin, Resources, Amerish, Infil update, Max Flamethrower, Nexus etc etc.) But it's worth it. The population is rocking as a result of influx of new and returning players.

But lastly and finally, the balance fixes. They are finally doing some major balancing passes. The last time the factions were in good balance was almost a year ago when the Magrider got nerfed (which didn't last long with the Prowler HE buff).
Old 2013-11-16, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

is it just me or there is a lot of exaggeration on both sides of the issue ?
Old 2013-11-16, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Phantomdestiny View Post
It's the internet, it's to be expected
Think we all do it at one point or another to try and get a point across.

Old 2013-11-16, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Snoopy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Phantomdestiny View Post
Well there's a lot that's good about the game, and just as much that is bad. That doesn't change the fact that this is how the game should have run on release last November... Had that been the case, we might have been rolling around Hossin by now with all the other goodies the roadmap had promised.

Personally, I knew more people who quit because they got tired of the monotonous grind, than couldn't run the game...

I love the game, have never had any performance issues, but have to regularly take brakes to keep myself interested. The game is in desperate need of content that isn't a dozen camos, hood ornaments, horns or NS weapons.

Last edited by Snoopy; 2013-11-16 at 01:31 PM.
Old 2013-11-16, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Rolfski
Major

I was wondering, since SOE has heavily advertised your video so much, how many recruits did you get out of it so far?

Btw I do think now is a good time to give it a try (again) IF you like the basic run & gun play. By all means, this game is a solid shooter and now it runs smooth as well. However, if you don't settle for less than PS1-level depth, I wouldn't touch this game for at least another 1 to 2 years.
Old 2013-11-16, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
ItZMuRdA
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Boomzor View Post
Really?

They're done with the damage controle (or atleast a good portion of it). To jump from there to saying it's as good as it's ever gonna get is... well, exaggerated. To say the least.
There is a common misconception that the title of my threads/videos are saying "it's as good as it's ever gonna get." Make no mistake that I am not saying anything of the sort. I am confident the game is going to continue to get better and I hope to be playing it many years from now, looking forward to PlanetSide 3 when it releases in 2023.

"There Has Never Been A Better Time..." is referring to the past. As in, for those who haven't started playing the game yet, or those who quit because their computer couldn't run it or there wasn't enough content that interested them... THOSE guys, should download it again and hit the play button because I'm fairly certain most of them will be quite pleased with what they see. I'm stating that PlanetSide 2 is better than it has ever been before, that is, in the last year. Naturally, it continues to improve, so hopefully a year from now it will be even better, etc.

The goal of this is to unite and grow the community, largely by bringing back many old players who left for one reason or another, not to serve as the foundation for such a debate on all the things that X or Y individual perceives is still "wrong" with the game, or haven't been fixed yet.

Note that this post is to everyone, I just used your quote in the reply because it was fitting -- nothing personal.

Thanks for everyone's feedback thus far.

Old 2013-11-16, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
ItZMuRdA
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by GeoGnome View Post
Wait a moment...

This is the exact same statement you put on PS2's forums.

Are you even reading the responses, or are you just mass posting?

Yeah, I was actually about to say: Go Murda, here... but how about you actually evaluate what is being said.

You are -Going- to get a negative response on the main PS2 forums, the only reason people go there, is to complain. Getting a conversation going there, is like trying to cheer up a support group for suicidal people. That said, people here are just saying that if you want to do this, waiting for a couple months would be best. Wait until the things people Want are in place: Meta Game.

The game isn't going anywhere, and doing Basti's whole: Lets make a video and send it to half the internet to promote the game, now wont have much of an impact if there is nothing in place that will help retention. Moreover, just ignoring people who are trying to speak to you, is only going to tun the rest of your community support away from you.
I've read each and every response to both threads, as well as the many numerous comments posted on the YouTube video. It was an acceptable copy & paste response because I felt it addressed both areas adequately, rather than me trying to reword the same statement just to avoid plagiarizing myself. Make no mistake at how deeply invested I am in the community, there's no laziness here. I feel somewhat insulted that you would even suggest that after all of the selfless efforts I've made.

Old 2013-11-16, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
ItZMuRdA
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
And, he's speaking a lot more truth then the overly fanboi optimistic ItzMurda does. It would carry much more weight if at any given time Murda you actually ever said a bad thing about PS2 or SOE. Its one thing to be a fan of something, someone, some team, game company or what have you. Its completely another to never ever say anything bad about them. Ever.
I'm genuinely curious to see the giant binder you have on me that tells you I never said a bad thing about them ever. I was not SOE's best friend in PlanetSide 1, I was actually very hesitant about being optimistic about PlanetSide 2 back in alpha/beta because I wasn't sure if I could trust SOE to "do it right."

Though time and time again they have shown me exceptional service in every area imaginable. I've put exponentially more hours into games like World of Warcraft than PS1+PS2 combined, but never got even remotely close to the same connection with Blizzard (or any other gaming company that I've been involved with over the last 16 years) that I have with SOE. They catch a lot of flak, as most game designers do, but I defend them because I believe in them. There's nothing fan boy about it -- I'm doing my job to promote the game and the company that I care about because I want to see it succeed, and I am wholly and selflessly invested in that. PlanetSide 1, despite its faults, was my favorite game of all time and I'm here to help give other folks that same experience with PlanetSide 2.

I apologize if it is a crime for me to agree with the vast majority of changes they make and things that they do -- because I do, but when I've disagreed with something I've made it well known through videos, posts, tweets, etc., and often had the ability to have my voice (and the voice of those I support and who support me mutually) heard by the developers and hopefully have contributed to getting undesirable changes overturned in the process. When in a position of being a prominent community figure (fan site owner/moderator, youtuber, streamer, etc.), you typically have to express distaste or disagreement with something in a more elegant way, at least if you care about attracting new players to the game (which I do). That being said, you won't see me bitch about the game or talk shit about SOE left and right, but you also wont see me hold my tongue if I am against something.

Not sure when it became the "thing to do" to attack the guy who is optimistic just because you aren't. I'm not here to sell a product to people that I don't believe in myself; I'm putting in hours of my own spare time each day to help support a game, a company, and a cause that I feel strongly about.

Last edited by ItZMuRdA; 2013-11-16 at 06:09 PM.
Old 2013-11-16, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
ItZMuRdA
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
I was wondering, since SOE has heavily advertised your video so much, how many recruits did you get out of it so far?

I'm not in this for Recruits, nor did SOE ask me to make a video or advise on it in any way, shape or form. I did not ask, and did not even know about SOE including it in their anniversary post until after it was posted, but I do appreciate them supporting me in various ways.

Here's how the thought process for this video went:

I literally thought to myself how many people I knew that I brought to the game back in November of 2012, and how many of them have quit (most commonly because of performance issues that would now be fixed with OMFG). I figured there were thousands more if you count everyone else and their friends/outfit mates. The recruit rewards and other holiday incentives are just that, added things that I think would entice people to come back to the game (or pick it up for the first time), and I wanted to put them together in a video marketed at these audiences.

As was said in this thread, this is in fact preaching to the choir when it comes to you guys, most or all of which actively play the game. It is intended to liven up our community, bring old faces back, and promote the game to people who may have never known about it to begin with. It is not intended to start flame wars among existing players who think XYZ are wrong with the game or it should be promoted at ABC date instead of now. This is one of my many minor efforts to help our community, and I'm hoping it succeeds at doing that. I fear the wrong impression was given to many veteran community members, however, and I'm not sure where I failed to correctly communicate that intent.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion