Planetside Optimisation Issues a.k.a FPS issues - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Big Brother Is Watching
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-27, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Seer
Most of their end users have broadband. The other part, imo, is whether or not they are willing to pay for the bandwidth for every customer to pull down a 500mb patch.
If they did optimise the engine... Do you even know how many people would come back... I bet tons.

Old 2004-03-28, 12:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Acaila
First Lieutenant

I don't know if it is just me, but the FPS seem to get worse and worse every patch. I have a shit video card (FX5600 huzzah) but a everything else in my box is great, so I never get FPS in the red, ever. I rarely use to go in the yellow, back a few months ago, like pre-BP. I completely agree that if anything is going to kill this game, it will be FPS problems.
Old 2004-03-28, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
BigFreak
Sergeant Major

Everyone who reinstalls has to download hours worth of patches (assuming 512kbps line); I'm sure it's not a problem.
Old 2004-03-28, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Glaynor
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Spee
qwitcher bitching. I played PS with 10 FPS in battles of all sizes, and 4 FPS in a zerg.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You win the I'm an obnoxious ass award of the week.
There is a automatic quote button below and to the right of everyone's post.
Old 2004-03-28, 02:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
UncleDynamite
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Acaila
I don't know if it is just me, but the FPS seem to get worse and worse every patch.
I've noticed this too. I used to have decent FPS around 80 in most cases, but now it's dropping considerably. 20 seems to be the norm for me now.
Old 2004-03-28, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I have a totally crap system, so Im not even bothering to play till I build my next one...

Old 2004-03-28, 02:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
l3lizz4rd
Master Sergeant

This has always been a problem, and in my eyes, the largest one planetside has. Half the time I play it's so laggy and catchy that I just get frustrated and quit. And the biggest frustration from me is that last August when I started playing PS I was having a ball and the world was my burrito (um, nevermind). But consistantly after every patch my FPS got lower and lower and lower. And now sometimes I lag in Sanc. And the real kicker is, my system has gotten BETTER since I started playing. Added in a bunch more Hard Disk space and a 9800PRO! I agree that this will be the ultimate downfall of PS. Why get pissed off watching the PS slideshow when I can go play Far Cry (just an example) or some other beautiful game with no lag whatsoever? Even the draw of the huge battles doesn't compensate for that.

/me shrugs.

Old 2004-03-28, 04:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
DeadTeddy
Sergeant Major

it's a very simple RAM issue. if you don't have a gig of ram then even a Radeon 9800 XT won't help you.

there is one thing those of us with 512 can do. that is set the virtual memory to an initial size of 2048 MB (2 gigs) but you will be forfeiting 2 gigs off your hard drive.

one of the things that causes lag is when you don't have enough ram, and the computer uses the hard drive as "virtual memory". not much you can do about this except for buying 4 gigs of ram.

there is one more thing that causes much more lag and that is when windows has control over virtual memory. in order to save an extra 500 MB on your 120 GB hard drive it starts with small virtual memory, and increases/decreases it according to need. increasing/decreasing it causes ALLOT of lag, and can be solved simply by setting the initial size to 2 gigs meaning windows won't need to increase it, and won't be allowed to decrease it.

8 months ago this trick allowed me to play with 256 ram, now it made almost all the lag go away with 512.
Old 2004-03-28, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
PhoenixTypeX
Corporal

How would you do this? I know it's in the system bit in control panel under advanced and performance I've set the inital for 2048 do I set the max as 2048 too?

Last edited by PhoenixTypeX; 2004-03-28 at 05:01 AM.
Old 2004-03-28, 05:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
DeadTeddy
Sergeant Major

I have two partisions. C and D. I made C automatic and D be initial 2048 and max 2048.

basiclly, when the 2 gigs on D get filled up (almost never) it should start using C.
Old 2004-03-28, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

I have not really noticed the decline in fps that everyone is goin on about, around the time of BP i got my second gig of ram, and lately I have been fiddling with oc'ing my 9800. My fps have been going up.

OH and the thing teddy is talkin about works, I have 3 gigs set aside in addition to ram. It only really uses 1.5 of it, and thats when I am running 2 planetsides, but I still get manageable fps in that situation.
Old 2004-03-28, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
DeadTeddy
Sergeant Major

the decline in fps was caused by the additions to the game, mainly CC. the extra models require more ram. if in july you could put all the weapons, veichles, different people in different armor and the rest of the stuff you see most of the time allong with windows and background apps into less then 500 megs, now it's just too much.
Old 2004-03-28, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
scarpas
Captain

Originally Posted by PhoenixTypeX
Did you notice when I said I was standing still and looking at a wall? I've played with 10FPS too so STFU Spee I'm fed up of you constantly flaming everyone, who gives you the damn right to criticise my opinion and as usual you have taken the thread off at a tangent ignoring the issue. Read the thread title its called FPS issues not flaming thread. I feel the FPS issue needs to be sorted and alot of resources should be put into it.

chill bro
Old 2004-03-29, 01:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

I'm currently running a AMD 3k, 1.5GB of PC3200 400mhz RAM, and a Raedon 9800 Pro 128mb video card. I get about 50-60fps if I'm just flying or driving in an open space. In a close combat situation (in bases/towers/etc) it get around 20. Now, while this is a vast improvment over the 20fps I was getting in open spaces and 4-7fps in infantry combat situations on my old rig, I still get the feeling something isn't right. Especially when I can run many other games in 1600x1200 with full detail with virtually no fps lag what so ever.

I can handle 20fps in combat situations though, epsecially since for 9 months I considered that good

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2004-03-29, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

I currently have two HDD's on my system with a 1.8 GHz P4, 640 mb RAM, and a Radeon 9600np OCed to about 392/540. My main HD has my windows files, planetside, and every program that is installed on my system. Now on my other HD, I have only the files that are needed for it to funtion properaly. The page file that is on my 2nd HD is set to 4096 (in other words, 4 gigs). This works really well in my system and frees up alots of memory and kills some studder.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion