PSU: Flippin burgers since '02
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2005-04-02, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The Silver Surfer is NOT from the future.

Old 2005-04-02, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Electrofreak
If time travel were possible, how come we haven't had visitors from the future yet?

And time is a "thing", its the 4th dimension. Duh.
There's a lot of ideas that you can only travel forward in time. The basic principle is speeding up time around you, but you wouldn't be able to travel backwards (since slowing it down would just be going forward in time slower). Of course, once you do travel forward in time, there would be no conceivable way of traveling back in time.

And I've heard the fourth dimension being stated as time... but why? The number before the dimensions simply signifies how many sides of a normal geometrical cube you can see at one time. In a 1 dimensional world, we can only see one side of a cube at the same time, since a one dimensional world is only a straight line, and you can therefore only see straight forward or straight back. A two dimensional world you can only see 2 sides of a cube at the same time - think Flatland. And in a three dimensional world, you can see three sides of a cube at the same time.

So logically speaking, the fourth dimension is a world where we can see four sides of a cube at the same time. Just because we can't invision it doesn't mean it's impossible (once again, think Flatland). I really don't know where this "fourth dimension = time" stuff came from...
Old 2005-04-02, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Infernus
Lieutenant General

Heres my thoughts on this whole thought of the day thing...

Don't think.
Old 2005-04-03, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus
The Silver Surfer is NOT from the future.
lies.

Chewy brings up some good points. I've heard the theories about future-travel only, but I'm not quite sure how they work. Supposedly space-time is more like a sphere than a cube though... or thats what my dad says and hes the one that follows that stuff in-depth. String theory, quarks and gluons, all that exciting stuff.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2005-04-03 at 03:29 AM.
Old 2005-04-03, 04:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Derfud
Brigadier General

Misc Info

All depends on how time travel would really work. Nothing would happen if every second was it's own, say parrallel universe. So you could do what ever you wanted and nothing would change when you returned to "your time". However you would notice the change if you stayed in that time frame.

Other possibility is that you would affect your timeline, then the universe would cease to exist.
Old 2005-04-03, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

1f y0u c4n r34d th1s y0u n33d 2 g3t l41d
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2005-04-03, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

if you were able to type it, you REALLY need to get laid.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2005-04-03, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Kyonye
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Lonehunter187
1f y0u c4n r34d th1s y0u n33d 2 g3t l41d

I can read it, and I get laid all the time

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2005-04-03, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Kam
Major

This isn't really about time per say, but it is just as intriguing.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=050326
Old 2005-04-03, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by ChewyLSB
There's a lot of ideas that you can only travel forward in time. The basic principle is speeding up time around you, but you wouldn't be able to travel backwards (since slowing it down would just be going forward in time slower). Of course, once you do travel forward in time, there would be no conceivable way of traveling back in time.

And I've heard the fourth dimension being stated as time... but why? The number before the dimensions simply signifies how many sides of a normal geometrical cube you can see at one time. In a 1 dimensional world, we can only see one side of a cube at the same time, since a one dimensional world is only a straight line, and you can therefore only see straight forward or straight back. A two dimensional world you can only see 2 sides of a cube at the same time - think Flatland. And in a three dimensional world, you can see three sides of a cube at the same time.

So logically speaking, the fourth dimension is a world where we can see four sides of a cube at the same time. Just because we can't invision it doesn't mean it's impossible (once again, think Flatland). I really don't know where this "fourth dimension = time" stuff came from...
It doesn't have to be the Fourth Dimension, but it is a dimension just like hight width and depth are. Using time you can not only decribe an objects position and size/shape, you can describe and Event within the passage of time.

A good way to thing about it is a movie or slide show, your photographing an object as it passes though the time dimension, it's hieght width and depth never change but it moves though the time diemension, so slide one is so many seconds after the universe began, slide two is that +1 seconds. Now stack the slides up and you get a representation of the 4 dimensional coordinat system. Going down that stack goes back in time(relatively), up the stack is forward. Then by location a specific slide you can use L,W,D to pinpoint the rest of a location.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2005-04-03, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Rbstr
It doesn't have to be the Fourth Dimension, but it is a dimension just like hight width and depth are. Using time you can not only decribe an objects position and size/shape, you can describe and Event within the passage of time.

A good way to thing about it is a movie or slide show, your photographing an object as it passes though the time dimension, it's hieght width and depth never change but it moves though the time diemension, so slide one is so many seconds after the universe began, slide two is that +1 seconds. Now stack the slides up and you get a representation of the 4 dimensional coordinat system. Going down that stack goes back in time(relatively), up the stack is forward. Then by location a specific slide you can use L,W,D to pinpoint the rest of a location.
Right, right. I know it's a dimension, but it's not the fourth dimension. A world in the fourth dimension is simply a world where you can visualize four sides of a cube at the same time, which we can't conceive because we're in a three dimensional world. It's like 4-d Arrays in programming, just because you can't conceive them doesn't mean they don't exist.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge