Whats the purpose in this game? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Diamond in the rough
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-03, 06:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Stew
Major

Re: Whats the purpose in this game?

The purpose of a shooter game is to achive goal and figth their is where the fun is

AN EMPTY continents thats u OWN have NO PURPOSE whats you will do on this empty conquered continents ? Play pokers with friend ?

I think ultimate Domination is useless and boring

Owning the regions thats u need to get the most ressource as u need and also having EPIC and amasing figth IS the primary goal !

For me is all about having awesome battle Not about having all BLUE continents
Old 2012-05-03, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Corax
Sergeant

stew..... say what now?
I think you basically said that for you having epic and amazing fights is what the game is all about for you....

As for the OP.... Yes PS2 will have a purpose, simply put it will be to drive the enemy back, and force them to give up any land they have taken from you. The purpose will be to kill and keep on killing while taking all the possible real estate there is on Auraxis. The goal here is to take and own everything that the enemy owns, and force them to admit to defeat.

You WIN when you have taken every conquerable piece of Auraxian soil. You WIN when you look at the map and see that the other 2 Empires have nothing but a measly foothold on any given continent.

You know you WIN when you realize you won and you don't need the words "YOU WIN" flashing across the screen.

Its actually fairly straightforward. Take everything and don't give anything up. When you own everything, sit back, take a screen shot, and enjoy the feeling of complete and utter triumph as you realize you have accomplished something truly difficult.

Now actually making all that happen is a whole 'nuther story .

Edit: Thought of the day: Does one need to be told they have won to know they have truly won?

Last edited by Corax; 2012-05-03 at 06:56 AM.
Old 2012-05-03, 06:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by JPalmer View Post
Getting resources, having fun, and each base you capture will feel like you just beat a game on a hardmode because there are going to be so many people in battles that are going to last a long time.
This.

I'm still skeptical about footholds myself, not because you can't "take over" the place, but because I still worry that it will just mean everyone is completely stalemated in the centre of the map - but only when we get to play the game with full servers will we truly know.

What Planetside offers that others don't however - is the fact that if you REALLY give a crap about a base or piece of territory, you'll make the enemy fight for an hour over one scrap of land. It's not done in 15 minutes, its not "I held more flags for slightly longer, so I win". It's the fact that to win, they'll actually have to drive you out and keep you out - make it so that you can't spawn there and you can't get enough reinforcements from nearby.

And of course, the beauty of it being that when you've put 2 hours of your life into taking my base away from me, you better believe that I'm watching you, and if you don't defend it, I'm coming straight back, with tanks
Old 2012-05-03, 07:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Rabb
Contributor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Expect those footholds to be removed and replaced by sanctuarys during beta. Simply because we will break the stuff very fast.
I hope so I always liked sanc. I don't think the footholds will be as flexible. You will have the disadvantage of the enemy being able to see the composition of any large combined arms force being formed.
Old 2012-05-03, 07:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

I still think only 3 conts is too small. Prime time will be a 3 way stalemate on every cont, and when the map inst moving, PS gets very boring.
Old 2012-05-03, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Levente
First Sergeant

it will feel small because 3 footholds on each continent + imagine all the hundreds of players making extra spawn points. i suspect a cod zerg meatgrinding on a big scale, i hope im wrong. we will see in the beta.

Last edited by Levente; 2012-05-03 at 07:34 AM.
Old 2012-05-03, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
The purpose of a shooter game is to achive goal and figth
F I G H T

The T comes last.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-05-03, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
I don't like it but that's kinda what the game is turning into. A CoD or BF3 match for individuals on a grander overall map.
Disagree. It will be that if you want it to be that, you'll be able to log on and fight for 5 minutes, sure - but you'll also be able to fight for 5 hours if you have the energy and stomach for it.

With the added bonus that it might be over the same piece of turf!

The harder the fight, the sweeter the victory!
Old 2012-05-03, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Kipper
Captain

And you can also do the exact same thing in CoD or BF right? Keep grinding maps? Boring...
Fight, reset, fight, reset ... that's boring. I'm talking about a single epic multi hour fight.

To win on a round timer is so short term; to win a planetside battle will be forcing your enemy out and keeping them out, for however long it takes, and by whatever vehicular means nescessary.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Kipper
Captain

Ironic thing is, if I am presented with the option of fight for hours over a stalemate or a 30 minute timed match that can be won or loss, I would chose the latter.
I'd rather have a memory of an epic battle that can't be taken away, than a checkmark in a win column. Like I remember the time I drove a burning buggy off a cliff in Battlefield 2 and flattened an enemy, shotgunned another and took his flag. But I have no idea how many kills/deaths I had or what rank I achieved.

For me, its the fight - a good result is the cherry on top. And if its a stalemate situation, your job is to rally troops and find a way to break the enemy down.

In any case, I fully expect data to be available on how many times you've been in a hex at the time that it was taken for, or from your faction - or some other measure that helps defines success beyond pure number of kills; or you can use kills if that's your aim. You're not restricted.

I may have to go take that same hill back over and over again with it not contributing to any sort of overall victory objective
But current deathmatch shooters are exactly that, only with those - when you've taken it, you didn't get to keep it.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by Levente View Post
Yes you felt good if you won a round in BF3 or in TF2, the fact that you WON that round made you feel good about it. I dont ask for end game win in Ps2 but i expect something to fight for. The fact that you cannot take over a continent is just takes away a big part of the immersion.
Go play BF3 then
Old 2012-05-03, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
waldizzo
Contributor
First Sergeant

The purpose of this game is to have fun. Let's take a look at some examples of fun.

Standard FPS:
Join a server. Get put on whatever team has less people. Complete objectives. Get kicked by admin because you killed them. Join another server. Complete objectives. Round ends. Player is presented with awards and bonus points. "YOU WIN / LOSE" Map resets.

Planetside:
A VS outfit decides to attack an NC position. Word gets out and the NC show up in force to defend. The VS zerg shows up. An epic battle with hundreds of infantry, air support and tanks takes place. Another VS outfit carries out an attack behind enemy lines, crippling the NC's ability to spawn armor. The VS rolls all over the NC and claims the region for themselves.

Then the TR show up.....

In my opinion, Planetside has way more purpose(entertainment value) than any of the current generation FPS games.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by waldizzo View Post
The purpose of this game is to have fun. Let's take a look at some examples of fun.

Standard FPS:
Join a server. Get put on whatever team has less people. Complete objectives. Get kicked by admin because you killed them. Join another server. Complete objectives. Round ends. Player is presented with awards and bonus points. "YOU WIN / LOSE" Map resets.

Planetside:
A VS outfit decides to attack an NC position. Word gets out and the NC show up in force to defend. The VS zerg shows up. An epic battle with hundreds of infantry, air support and tanks takes place. Another VS outfit carries out an attack behind enemy lines, crippling the NC's ability to spawn armor. The VS rolls all over the NC and claims the region for themselves.

Then the TR show up.....

In my opinion, Planetside has way more purpose(entertainment value) than any of the current generation FPS games.
I couldn't say it better myself.

In a standard FPS the win/loss matches are hardly even a single battle in Planetside. Some people just need the "You won!" shoved in their face.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
aceshigh
Private

Misc Info

I'm sure they will keep track of the percentage of territory help on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. That in a way provides a method of "#winning".
Old 2012-05-03, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Bags
Lieutenant General

The purpose of the game is fun.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion