Network Guru's! Halp! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: incoming max units? i hope she can handle that.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-09-11, 12:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Nephtan
Private

no bandwidth loss with wireless

If you go with 802.11b which is cheap and old tech for wireless, you will experience NO bandwidth loss over your cable modem. The reason for this is that 802.11b runs at 11MB/per second (MB = MegaBits). Depending on your cable provider, you probably have somewhere around a 3MB/per second download stream (again MB = MegaBits). That means that you will suffer absolutely ZERO bandwidth loss on your internet connection because 11MB is way more than than your internet connection is. It will suck if you want to copy large files between your grandma's pc and yours though.

Another option is 802.11g wireless. With that you get a 54MB/per second bandwidth and it is much better if you are transfering large files between the computers on your network. This is just a tad more expensive though.. but not much. I'd definately choose this option.

P.S. Always remember to read up on security for your wireless network. 802.11g offers more bandwidth which means it is better when you are using wireless encryption. (less slowdown)
Old 2004-09-11, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Corrosion

Misc Info

Not true. I am on a 10 MB/sec PhoneLink, but my downloads do not reach the same speeds as they would if they were directly from the modem.
Old 2004-09-11, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

i've heard of relay bad pingloss problems with both those systems, and intercomputer transfers suffer compared to ethernets 100Mb/s and even 1Gb/s(you guys are doing it wrong again, Mb/s is Megabits per second, MB/s is MegaBytes per second) note the Download manager changes it to KB/s wich is your bit speed divided by 8, i get up to 400KB/s using my setup.

LAst summer me and my dad ran ethernet and Coax thoguth our house to the computer areas, its was realy easy, thought my dad knows a considerable amount about it. Its very easy to splice the cable to the outlets all yuo have to do is cut the jack of the patch cable, and take the wires and press them into self striping color coded thingys and it works.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-09-11, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Nephtan
Private

To: Corrosion and Rbstr

If you are not getting the full speed of your internet connection over wireless then you either: have an insanely FAST internet connection (more than 11megabits for 802.11b or more than 54megabits for 802.11g) , or you are getting interference from some other appliance in your house that is emitting radio waves. I don't know much about the frequencies involved or radio waves in general, but some things that come to mind are cordless phones and satellite tv remote controls (some use radio instead of light). Currently the bandwidth of just about any current home networking media is way more than enough to support the full speed of most internet connections (unless they are extremely fast.. like I said previously). Oh! I just thought of one more reason you may not be getting the full speed. If you have more than one computer using the connection at the same time (downloading mostly) it will slow down because it is splitting bandwidth between them (I am talking about the bandwidth of your internet connection, not your wireless connection).

If you would like to know where my information is coming from...

I am certified with CompTIA's A+ and Network+
I am currently recieving training in network security and cisco products
I have extensive experience in the above areas

That's all
Old 2004-09-11, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Corrosion

Misc Info

Nephtan, can you write in paragraph form?

Reading your posts is like crawling through a maze.
Old 2004-09-11, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

it is in paragraph form, jsut a big paragraph. I just haven hd much succes with wireless, bad signal strength horrible ping loss, and random disconnects. I just don't see wirless as a good alternative to the much cheaper, faster, more reliable wired unless there is somthign that keeps you from being able to use it ie. laptop or imposible to wire it.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-09-11, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
SecondRaven
Contributor
Major

Get wireless 802.1G or something of that sort (cant remember the exact number) but i know its G. You will be fine for bandwidth also
Old 2004-09-11, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
martyr
Contributor
Brigadier General

Misc Info

G is pointless if you're just sharing a cable connection.
Old 2004-09-11, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Squeeky
Contributor
Teh Masturbator

So i think i'm gonna get

This:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...124-002&depa=5

I'm gonna take the modem from my grandmothers office. Get some coaxial cable, a splitter, and setup the splitter in my bedroom, attach the cable to the splitter and run that cable to my office. Then i'm gonna take the cable, hook it into my modem. Modem -> the router linked above. Ethernet cable from there to my main PC. Then i'm gonna put a wireless PCI ethernet card into my grandmothers computer (someone link one they recommend to use with that router PLZ!). Then i'm gonna use my Wireless USB Network Adapter for my laptop which i'll setup in my room. What do you guys think?
Old 2004-09-11, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Infernus
Lieutenant General

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...124-139&depa=5

Should work for what you're doing...
Old 2004-09-11, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Nephtan
Private

My suggestion for that setup is to get an 802.11g capable router and go with an 802.11b wireless card unless you really are going to need 802.11g for the card.
Old 2004-09-13, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Squeeky
Contributor
Teh Masturbator

Thx to all you butt bandits, i spent $110 at Fry's and the computer is out of range of the router
Old 2004-09-13, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
martyr
Contributor
Brigadier General

Misc Info

not my fault. so such thing as out-of-range from your cat5
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum