Poll about the day/night issues. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do not insert foreign objects into certification terminals
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What should the options be for night fighting.
Length of sunrise to sunrise: 1-3.5 hours 86 28.57%
Length of sunrise to sunrise: 3.5-9 hours 162 53.82%
Length of sunrise to sunrise: 7-23 hours 41 13.62%
Different time zones in each continent: Yes. 223 74.09%
Different time zones in each continent: No. 30 9.97%
Should nights be shorter than days: Yes. 91 30.23%
Should nights be shorter than days: No 161 53.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-20, 05:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Re: Poll about the day/night issues.

Having day/night last 4-5 hours or so seems reasonable. Long enough that days feel substantial, not so long that a single big fight will go through multiple day/night transitions. Making one last longer than the other might be okay as night lasting too long might be annoying. Different times of in-game day for each continent seems like a good idea, especially if you really like/dislike night time and want to actively pursue or avoid night fighting.
Old 2012-05-20, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
asdar
Private

The only good option is less than 4, even 4 might be too long. That's not because I want it but because people who aren't hardcore will be turned off if all they see is night.

I have a lot of time so I wouldn't mind longer periods, but some will. If they did something like 2 hours of night, 4 hours of day and then 2 hours of transition that might be a great way to go. (1 morning 1 evening)

Different time zones to me is just asking for extra that doesn't mean anything. It's one of those things that people ask for that get all upset because of immersion issues. I wouldn't mind it, but it doesn't add to the game in any way for me.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by asdar View Post
The only good option is less than 4, even 4 might be too long. That's not because I want it but because people who aren't hardcore will be turned off if all they see is night.

I have a lot of time so I wouldn't mind longer periods, but some will. If they did something like 2 hours of night, 4 hours of day and then 2 hours of transition that might be a great way to go. (1 morning 1 evening)

Different time zones to me is just asking for extra that doesn't mean anything. It's one of those things that people ask for that get all upset because of immersion issues. I wouldn't mind it, but it doesn't add to the game in any way for me.
Time zones is so people who don't like night can go somewhere else to see something different.

You say the only good option is less than four, but then you seem to advocate 6 hour days, which is the absolute worst in terms of people always seeing the same time of day.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I would say its a pretty successful Poll .

So far:

1. Over 80% prefer a complete day cycle of 7 hours or less with 57% for a
Cyle between 3.5 hours and 7 hours and 26% 3.5 hours or less.

2. Different time zones per continent clear winner at 90%.

3. Daylight and night length has equal time slightly leaning.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
I would say its a pretty successful Poll .

So far:

1. Over 80% prefer a complete day cycle of 7 hours or less with 57% for a
Cyle between 3.5 hours and 7 hours and 26% 3.5 hours or less.

2. Different time zones per continent clear winner at 90%.

3. Daylight and night length has equal time slightly leaning.
Or, for all we know, 75% of people want a day length between 7 and 9 hours. :P
Old 2012-05-20, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

4.5 hours for day time.
180 degrees for the top of the sun to rise, arc and fall from horizon to horizon = 1.5 minutes (90 seconds) for the sun to move every degree. How's that sound?

Night time I'm not sure. The darkest part of the night should have at least 2-3 hours, the only reason being that tracers in Forgelight look that epic.

Old 2012-05-20, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Ok those of us who prefer a seven hour cycle (uneven number) is because a 7 hour in-game cycle would give us three seven hour cycles. That is 3x7= 21 hours. The remaining 3 hours left from the 24 hours will go on to the next in game cycle. This way if I play everyday after work at 6pm on Monday I will jump into play at 6 am in-game time that is sunrise. By Friday i will jump into game around 7 pm in-game time that is the evening cycle. This would allow me ,a player with limited time, to experince all 4 cycles , sunrise, day, evening and night every week.

As far as the length of the daylight/night cycles, I now see no reason for it not to follow a natural process. The night play looks pretty good and if different time zones are given to each continent together with the variety that a 7 hour cycle will bring only gives people more choices as to where they want to fight and when.
Old 2012-05-20, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

I think its important for each continent to have a different time of day. This would allow night ops outfits to be active all the time
Old 2012-05-20, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

I'd like to see the sunrise-to-sunrise time around 2-4 hours. Many people will be playing after work or for a few hours at a time, and it would be nice to actually see the day/night cycle changing rather than just playing at night for hours on end.

Don't get me wrong, the night combat looks awesome but I just don't see the point of having a day/night cycle if the average player won't even see it changing. It looks incredible and shorter "days" will allow everyone to take advantage of daytime visibility, night ops, morning fog, evening sun glare, etc.
Old 2012-05-20, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Toppopia
Major

So the majority of people think that a sunrise to sunrise time frame should be roughly 3.5-7 hours long.

Basically everyone thinks that each continent should have a different time zone.

And people are mixed about whether nights should be shorter than days.

There we go devs, when Beta comes out have this as the beginning values for day/night time, after a while, we will have another poll seeing if people think the same way afterwards or if times need to be changed.
Old 2012-05-20, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

If continents have different time zones, the's no good reason to have the sun cycle lopsided...How hard is it to sawn elsewhere...?
Old 2012-05-20, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
If continents have different time zones, the's no good reason to have the sun cycle lopsided...How hard is it to sawn elsewhere...?
Well lets say that Indar becomes my favorite continent and my preference would be night battle. Lets also say that I have a very limited schedule and can only play evenings after work lets say 2 hours from 6 pm to 8 pm. On an even number cycle that means that I will always play the same in-game cycle every day. So if its day all I will see is day play. And since Indar has become my favorite continent why should I go to another continent to experience night play. I mean this is just an example.
Old 2012-05-20, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
Well lets say that Indar becomes my favorite continent and my preference would be night battle. Lets also say that I have a very limited schedule and can only play evenings after work lets say 2 hours from 6 pm to 8 pm. On an even number cycle that means that I will always play the same in-game cycle every day. So if its day all I will see is day play. And since Indar has become my favorite continent why should I go to another continent to experience night play. I mean this is just an example.
In that case, all you have to do is have the day/night cycle that isn't in step with the day in real life, no?

Edit: Also; practically speaking, the more conditions you put on things, I think the less expectations you should have, but I think my answer solves your circumstance anyways.

Last edited by Red Beard; 2012-05-20 at 09:00 PM.
Old 2012-05-21, 02:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
In that case, all you have to do is have the day/night cycle that isn't in step with the day in real life, no?

Edit: Also; practically speaking, the more conditions you put on things, I think the less expectations you should have, but I think my answer solves your circumstance anyways.
I am confused as to why people keep saying "But what if i want to play at different times of day, but can only log on at a certain time."

The answer is an odd/uneven length of day so it takes 1 week or more to reset again. Thats why it has to be something like 5,7 or 9. But i think people have explained that 7 hours is better because of various reasons. So yeah, please stop repeating the problem about logging on at same time and seeing same time in game. It has been noted. So thanks for understanding.
Old 2012-05-21, 02:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
maggymoo
Private

I think it would be cool to have days/night cycles exactly the same as real life. But each continent has different time-zones like, GMT, EST or whatever. So you can try to play on a continent that best matches your time zone, so when its night its night in game. I think that would be way more immersive. And you'll still be able experience cool times like dawn, just go a different continent with a different time-zone
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion