Who is the CG Trailer for? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Death is not only the beginning, A repawn is.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-18, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Aerothorn
Private

Re: Who is the CG Trailer for?

Except that the CGI trailer doesn't tell you anything about how the game plays. It's just a Hollywood action movie, and there's no way for the viewer to snope that the scope (typically exaggerated in CGI trailers) is actually reflected in the game. It's pure marketing fluff, and it's so generic that it's not clear who they expect to win over with it.

Also, I'm not sure Bertrand Russell would endorse Planetside 2
Old 2012-07-18, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by UnDeAdKiTtY View Post
How what you are saying but how does it say that this is a massive squad/first person shooter?
First, it's a teaser of a trailer. We haven't seen the full thing.

Secondly, there's massive armies in most of the shots I saw.
Old 2012-07-18, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
It's there to dupe Call of Brownandbloom fans into thinking that Planetside 2 is going to be another dank and dreary shooter.
Yeah, that's my best guess. Primary target audience is the traditional FPS crowd -- the HALO people, the Cawadooty kids. Boy are they in for a surprise.

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Once they actually get in game and partake in some massive battles, they will learn to love color.
And they'll have the same OHMYGOD I'M NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE moment, same as we all did. I envy them a bit.
Old 2012-07-18, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

This will be the official Planetside2 trailer. I hope beta launch will coincide with this trailer release on July 25th.

Last edited by capiqu; 2012-07-18 at 03:04 PM.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
Except that the CGI trailer doesn't tell you anything about how the game plays. It's just a Hollywood action movie, and there's no way for the viewer to snope that the scope (typically exaggerated in CGI trailers) is actually reflected in the game. It's pure marketing fluff, and it's so generic that it's not clear who they expect to win over with it.
This argument is valid for pretty much every game CGI trailer ever made.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
UnDeAdKiTtY
Corporal

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
This argument is valid for pretty much every game CGI trailer ever made.
I agree its great fluff makes an pretty good trailer. I like pretty graphics just as much as the other guy, but if you aren't showing gameplay how are you really saying "hey guys this is the game" when people see CGI trailers they tune out any idea of being believable its just "oh thats cool, what else is on"

And addressing the issue of "We haven't seen the whole trailer" True but expecting to see something else or different is very low.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post

Also, I'm not sure Bertrand Russell would endorse Planetside 2
I honestly prefer this approach to the dire cinematic thing with cheesy voice over from e3 '' I am vanu'' means jack to anyone who dosen't have a clue what planetside was/is.

All you need is to get people curious and look a little deeper into what this thing is to have the population you need to make this thing viable. The cg cinematic will do the trick I think, it's that good, and we've only seen a snippet.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
UnDeAdKiTtY
Corporal

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
I honestly prefer this approach to the dire cinematic thing with cheesy voice over from e3 '' I am vanu'' means jack to anyone who dosen't have a clue what planetside was/is.

All you need is to get people curious and look a little deeper into what this thing is to have the population you need to make this thing viable. The cg cinematic will do the trick I think, it's that good, and we've only seen a snippet.
I agree that trailer had alot more of a faction massive war look and presentation.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Absentis
Corporal

If it's advertising, it's good. In PS2's case, we need much more hype. The only problem I see is poor timing (why early beta and not closer to actual release?), which most games seem to have problems with, rather than who it is aimed at. If you spray enough shots (advertising), you're more than likely to hit the target (any possible player that may or may not pay).
Old 2012-07-18, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Sifer2
Major

It's what every Halo game does. Make a big overly dramatic CG movie to put on TV. That's probably its ultimate purpose is this will air on TV when the game comes out. It shows SOE is really banking on this game being a success for them if they spent so much. I think it will pay off. The game is awesome enough that people who try it out for free will immediately understand how good it is an stick with it. The CG trailer will just help to get those people to try it.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
TheDrone
Sergeant

Such trailers are not in the least intended to sell the gameplay. They do that through the regular gaming press.

Such trailers are made for the same reason movie trailers are made: to build excitement.

Traditionally trailers follow the classic three part plot, equilibrium, disruption of equilibrium, and then leave off the resolution of the story.

Good cinematic trailers do the same thing, in a sense. They leave something open for the player to fill up. A situation that the player wants to see resolved or something the player wants to reenact.

Here's an excellent trailer (an SOE game, btw): Another one: Yet another one:
Non-cinematic players most certainly have their place, but they don't have the universal appeal cinematic trailers have.

Another advantage: They look (and probably are) expensive. This sells the notion that this game is "the next big thing". And this in itself will attract a crowd.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

The other day I was sitting in my favorite sports bar and zoning out on ESPN. A commercial came on featuring tanks charging full speed across a field and getting blown up. It was for World of Tanks.

I looked around the room and saw three other men watching the commercial intently.

THAT is who it's for.

It's called "marketing".

The first thing I thought is "Wow, if WoT can do that, then Planetside can. We NEED that kind of marketing." And viola, a couple of days later: BOOM-Headshot!

You may think PSU and a few ad bars on google might be enough advertising, but you'd be thinking wrong.

Not to mention the fact that the trailer is badass looking. Just think, that's what Planetside 3 will look like when it's released in 10 years.

Finally, about the whole "spend it on more coders" comment, that frankly rubs me the wrong way. It really sounded like "quit screwing around with this stuff and get busy" to my ears. The devs are obviously working hard, and it's also pretty clear NO ONE is more excited and more eager to see this game go Beta and then Gold than they are. They certainly don't need anyone cracking a whip on them.

Last edited by The Degenatron; 2012-07-18 at 03:43 PM.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Raymac
Brigadier General

It's obvious. The trailer is made for me specifically, and only me. I'm not even sure why anybody else gets to watch it. It looks freaking amazing, and I can't wait to see the rest. Obviously it was money well spent.

Old 2012-07-18, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I whined about it a few weeks ago but seeing the trailer's quality, I am glad them made one. It looks awesome and I look forward to seeing the full version.

This time around, SOE (and the PS2 team) has been great.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
It's obvious. The trailer is made for me specifically, and only me. I'm not even sure why anybody else gets to watch it. It looks freaking amazing, and I can't wait to see the rest. Obviously it was money well spent.
Well if Raymac's happy, then I'm happy.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion