Ethics and netiquette - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Not just a Planetside fansite THE Planetside fansite
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-14, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Ethics and netiquette

Yea we have a CoC in place as well.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-14, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Dkamanus View Post
We have some players that are dicks on purpose so we can weed out people won't can't take the internet feelings off the equation.
/em roles eyes
Old 2013-01-14, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
/em roles eyes
You would be surprised how people respond to ball breaking in Brazil xD

We have a culture that likes to tease people a lot, but they end up being more true to each other thanks to that. It does sound strange, but for our culture is quite normal. Complete and frontal verbal assault is something, but we have some players that wanna test out how the newbs fit inside an outfit like ours.

They end up staying since they like how we roll. I do curse, in order for them to understand they fucked up badly. And they mostly due. Damn, they break MY balls while in the in-game Team speak, so we end up making fun of one another. =P
Old 2013-01-14, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
We're team killing our own members for standing in front of windows or doing all kinds of nooby stuff. We lead by publicly insulting team members who are only there to serve as bitches for the K/D ratio of our glorious leader. We like to think this outfit needs to prepare for a land war against China. If you're not a Christian, homo or or have any color on your skin you're likely to be despised and we love to use the N-word a lot for anybody we don't like. Trash talking to other outfits and insulting them on YouTube is what we like best. Bigotry and generally behave like a dick is how we roll.

Oh wait, this is not my outfit
Forgot to add another rule: "And of course we keep insulting people until we get a personal warning from Smedley".
Old 2013-01-14, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

I dunno, I hang with some pretty rough folks.

I was playing TR last night on Connery, and at one point, as we were about to do a Gali drop at Zurvan, our platoon leader ordered us to "**** the Vanu in all the places they don't want to be ****ed in", at which point he proceeded to systematically go down the list of all the parts of the human anatomy he wanted us to intercourse with, starting with ears and ending with urethra.

Mildly disturbing, but that's the risk you take when you play with Manly Men.
Old 2013-01-15, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Dkamanus View Post
You would be surprised how people respond to ball breaking in Brazil xD

We have a culture that likes to tease people a lot, but they end up being more true to each other thanks to that. It does sound strange, but for our culture is quite normal. Complete and frontal verbal assault is something, but we have some players that wanna test out how the newbs fit inside an outfit like ours.

They end up staying since they like how we roll. I do curse, in order for them to understand they fucked up badly. And they mostly due. Damn, they break MY balls while in the in-game Team speak, so we end up making fun of one another. =P

Im not rolling my eyes at abrasive chatter and cutting humor. Im rolling my eyes at the whole "Im only pretending to be an asshole" thing.
Old 2013-01-15, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

Why? Trolling is one of the funnest things you can do on the net, since anonymity and all.
Old 2013-01-15, 05:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Trolling is more fun in person.

Old 2013-01-15, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by BlaxicanX View Post
Why? Trolling is one of the funnest things you can do on the net, since anonymity and all.
Because you can, doesn't mean you have to.

There's friendly jesting which falls in the mild trolling area, then there's pestering and abuse which fall in the harassment category. Abuse is not a form of trolling, that's simply harrasment.

Our outfit's standards contains gentlemen rules. We play for our own fun, that of our direct allies and even that of the enemy, since everyone is here to play a game and have fun. This means we're not going to frustrate anyone beyond the goals of the game. That includes uncalled for hate tells, particularly over time, we'd rather stimulate sportive behaviour, where enemies are sooner complimented on their wins (when not zerging, obviously), than yelled at. Friendly jesting is fine, trolling is not.

We are always open to cooperation with other outfits, in fact, we always thrived on that.

We do not tolerate continuous harassment, fueding, TKing. We will select our targets in part on fairness: if an empire is pretty much zerobased or down to their last continent, we'd leave those alone till we subdued the other empire as well: having no options and just griefing another empire till they log is not in the interest of the game, nor us: we'd have nobody to fight.

We don't typically respond to TKs but ignore them instead (bores the shit out of the TK'ers if you don't respond and they'll go look for something else to do), if someone is testing to see if we're a fun TK target, we might give them a warning shot, nothing they'd die over. Unfortunately, PS2 results in a lot more roadkills (factor 1000 more, it seems). Normally I'd apologise at all times and still try to do so as often as possible, but it just happens too often in PS2, even if you were certain you avoided them by 4 meters (and with auto-drive deactivating upon opening map or chat, you often can't really afford losing speed -___-')...

If we can avoid camping, we avoid camping. In PS1, we initiated the Werner anti-cave spawncamping gentlemen's agreement between NC and TR in particular (some VS participated in it, but since they refused to go down there, only some outfits subscribed to it). Kinda like a Geneva convention, all sides promised to hold buildings outside and leave the spawn areas alone, let players grab gear then decide if they wanted to try for the base, or leave.

Basically that resulted in a camp much like the current PS2 base fights, rather than dieing to boomers and MAXes at the moment of spawning. It wasn't the best of fights, but at least there was a fight with a minute chance of recuperation (more than in PS2, actually, due to the single push resecure possibility and cave restrictions on vehicles.).

If we know of bugs or other clearly unintended exploits like invincible router pad locations in PS1 or getting into walls in PS2, we won't use it as we consider that cheating.
Old 2013-01-15, 07:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

General rules of conduct apply to most serious and proper outfits in Planetside, be it Planetside 1 or Planetside 2.

We used to always go to the officers or outfit leader of an outfit if one of its members was being a serious douche in game, but I have found lately in PS2 there isn't that form of respect as was in existence in PS1.

I remember having my Scythe rammed off the Air pad by a liberator pilot who proceeded to spam non stop abuse at me (he was BR12, I was BR58 at the time) telling me how I need to learn to play and that he would ram his fist so far up my **** he will play me like a puppet and teach me how to fly....

(Which tbh I found amusing at first)

But it continued, so asked to speak to the Outfit leader, and after numerous requests got his name, spoke to him, then he proceeded to tell me to grow up, its just a game and to get a life.

Suffice to say, I dont bother with pleasantries anymore.

---------

Enemy tells are actually always fun and respectful and have only had 1-2 odd hate tells but when I responded with a joke, they apologised as being heat of the moment, so I am more akin to talking to the enemy then my own faction tbh.
Old 2013-01-15, 07:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
Im not rolling my eyes at abrasive chatter and cutting humor. Im rolling my eyes at the whole "Im only pretending to be an asshole" thing.
Ok, let me rephrase that then. I have a member whos among THE most reliable members on the outfit, but his humor is so dry and sarcastic (He's a teacher, like me) that he passes on as a huge dick sometimes (we even bust his chops saying "See, if you can stand such a dick for a week, you are going to stay with us" xD

When I mean bash and scream, it is NOT on a BuzzCutPsycho way. That's somehwat excessive, but I have to raise a lot my voice so they can understand. I won't say "he fails at this game, delete char and quit you motherfucking piece of shit" But I will, harshly, point out he fucked up badly.
Old 2013-01-15, 07:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
RykerStruvian
Staff Sergeant

The thing I've noticed is something Thunderhawk mentioned in his story. A lot of outfits who have some form of Code of Ethics do not actually follow them. This wasn't really an issue with Planetside 1, but in Planetside 2 it is almost as if the rules do not exist since the outfit officers are not enforcing them.

For instance, after seeing members of the same outfit play music over proximity since the release of PS2, it really makes myself and other outfit members (and members from literally other outfits) hate that particular outfit with a passion. It only makes us hate them more after we realize they have a code of ethics which they do not even follow considering the amount of proximity spamming and TKing which goes on...

Last edited by RykerStruvian; 2013-01-15 at 07:25 AM.
Old 2013-01-15, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
psijaka
Contributor
Major

As a solo player on Ceres (EU) I haven't really encountered any particularly bad behaviour, other than being deliberately TKd 2-3 times (which, given the hours that I've played the game, is nothing to worry about). Some good natured banter on the chat but I've not noticed anything particularly nasty.

I always apologise if I realise that I have accidentally TKd someone, and people sometimes apologise if they TK me. And I usually try to thank someone if they give me a lift or heal me, if only by a nod of my character's head!

Edit - got deliberately TKd last night; leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth. I usually warn other players "watch out, XXX is team killing" and leave it at that; respawning elsewhere. No point in feeding the troll by taking it further than that.

Last edited by psijaka; 2013-01-16 at 05:20 AM.
Old 2013-01-15, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Figment
Lieutenant General

@Ryker: How big are the chances the outfits you're talking about are actually quite big and any idea how lax their recruitment procedures are? >.>
Old 2013-01-15, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
RykerStruvian
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
@Ryker: How big are the chances the outfits you're talking about are actually quite big and any idea how lax their recruitment procedures are? >.>
Pretty big and pretty lax.

The thing about it though is that just because an outfit fits that criteria does not necessarily mean their members have no sense of respect for others. The Blue Lions, for instance, enforced their rules upon their members and people who would pug with them. At least, they did in PS1 and for the PS2 beta (haven't played with them since the beta because I'm on Connery and they're on Mattherson).

Last edited by RykerStruvian; 2013-01-15 at 09:54 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion