Tunnels wont really fix anything - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I guess one grief point won't hurt......
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-13, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
GTGD
First Sergeant

Re: Tunnels wont really fix anything

You know these tunnels are just going to be extra choke points for the defenders to get farmed at, except it will be by attacking infantry instead of vehicles. A couple weeks after they realize it has done nothing but help the attackers more they'll throw in some boxes and cover, then pretend everything is fixed.
Old 2013-01-13, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
KaskaMatej
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Natir View Post
Did you read the part where Higby said they were waiting on that for a while? Meaning, it couldn't be done before but now it can. What else can their magical engine not do?
I proved you wrong, I couldn't know what else Forgelight is able or unable to do, nor do I really care.

They weren't able to make tunnels before, now they can. Period.
Old 2013-01-13, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

I think the OP is mostly right.

They might slightly help those situations where 1 or 2 libs manage to lock down a small base but other wise they wont matter much.
Old 2013-01-13, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Beerbeer
Major

If anything prolongs base fights, no matter what it is, it's a good thing.

Now, people just desert bases under heavy attack. At least this may keep more people around for longer to at least make it interesting for both sides. I think MORE is needed.
Old 2013-01-13, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Rockit
Banned

I wonder if it would be possible to get a brief sneak peek at them. Where is Hamma? Use your influence and at least get us a pic (vid better of course).

Last edited by Rockit; 2013-01-13 at 12:51 PM.
Old 2013-01-13, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by GTGD View Post
You know these tunnels are just going to be extra choke points for the defenders to get farmed at, except it will be by attacking infantry instead of vehicles. A couple weeks after they realize it has done nothing but help the attackers more they'll throw in some boxes and cover, then pretend everything is fixed.
That's right but what's the problem.

Spawn camping cannot be prevented, however the issue is that spawn camping is too easy and too final because it is tanks and liberators that do it.

It happens too quickly and there is no way to fight back.

Whereas, if the attackers have to fight hard to gain sufficient advantage to lock down the spawns it means that we have had a fight, and that's the aim here.

Currently spawn camping by vehicles is too easy and fights are too easyily killed and bases too easily taken. Done right, this should extend the infantry fights and hopefully reward infantry tactical play too.
Old 2013-01-13, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

I just hope they don't lead outside the bloody walls.

I'd also like to see some old-fashioned walkways from the central building *to* the walls.
Old 2013-01-13, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Illtempered
First Sergeant

Um, since we know nothing about them, except that they are an idea that hasn't even been implemented yet, I don't think we have enough information to make a judgement as to whether they will be useful or not.

Depending on how they are designed, they may be useful, or they may even make it worse for base-defense. I don't understand why they won't just revert the design of tech-plants. We all used to have some epic and long-lasting fights there. I certed gate-shield diffuser on my Sundy just for that reason, to crack the nut of the Tech-Plant farm. Lo and behold it worked! Now I have no reason to use it because nobody ever defends Tech-Plants anymore.
Old 2013-01-13, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Methonius
Master Sergeant

If they are smart and do what they said they were going to do then they will lead into the walls around the base and that is the easiest place for them to defend from and the hardest for the defenders to tank spam shells into. Also if they are smart they will make a tunnel from their spawn going to the SCU chambers of the maps and one into the courtyard. The courtyard exit will prob be the only one easily camped but if they put shielded openings around it like in the form of a pillbox then if your a tank standing around it you are dumb.
Old 2013-01-13, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Beerbeer
Major

I want bases that can be contested to the very end.

I want to feel that adrenaline rush of saving a base in the very last minute. I want to feel that urgency to protect the cap point to the bitter, bitter end. To me, that is fun.

This game lacks this completely. Fix the bases. All of them and no half-measures.

Last edited by Beerbeer; 2013-01-13 at 02:41 PM.
Old 2013-01-13, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Easy solution to spawn camping...

Destroy the spawn tubes!
Old 2013-01-13, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
Easy solution to spawn camping...

Destroy the spawn tubes!
this and nothing else
make the spawns themselves contestable. right now, without spawns being underground, that just wouldn't work.
with tunnels, it could be possible to make access to spawn tubes only available to the enemy from the tunnels.
Old 2013-01-13, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Beerbeer
Major

Nothing wrong with killing a spawn point, provided the defenders have equal "footing" as the attackers, as in, infantry VS infantry. Destroying spawn tubes should be relatively difficult, as it was in ps1.

Park a lib and a few tanks nearby and the fight is more or less over. I'm sorry, but that's just so stupid.

Vehicles have their purpose. They allow for mobility and the capability to clear out the outer defenses, control the surrounding area, prevent and/or impede reinforcements and destroy other vehicles should they be there, but you want to take over a base, do it the hard way, as it should be.

You can't attack a base unless you can get to the base and control the area around it. Vehicles do this. Vehicles can also prevent this. Now, it's just all vehicles, everywhere. Dumb.

Last edited by Beerbeer; 2013-01-13 at 03:08 PM.
Old 2013-01-13, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
SixShooter
Captain

Originally Posted by Illtempered View Post
Um, since we know nothing about them, except that they are an idea that hasn't even been implemented yet, I don't think we have enough information to make a judgement as to whether they will be useful or not.
We must denounce every idea and every change from the devs as being a complete failure without having seen said ideas and changes put into place while at the same time we must scream for more changes

That being said, I love the tunnel thing and can't wait to see how it works

Old 2013-01-13, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
We must denounce every idea and every change from the devs as being a complete failure without having seen said ideas and changes put into place while at the same time we must scream for more changes

That being said, I love the tunnel thing and can't wait to see how it works
I don't LOL very often. You've brightened up my day

Has it ever been explained WHY the devs don't want to introduce PS1 elements? I heard some rubbish remark about this being a new game but not a remake (or words to that effect) but that doesn't actually qualify as a reasonable explanation.

If something worked in PS1, WHY are they not re-introducing it for PS2?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion