PlayStation 4 to "be a great platform for MMOs." - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Im a noob, and im proud of it!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-03, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Mordelicius
Major

Re: PlayStation 4 to "be a great platform for MMOs."

DCUO has a lot more PS3 players than PC. Of course they would make PS2 for PS4.

The non-MMOFPS are probably quaking in their boots by now. PS2 is not only free it offers what they can't: massive freaking battles.
Old 2013-06-03, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Not really PlanetSide 2 News per say but worth discussion. This coupled with Smed's cryptic Tweets a few months back.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06...-platform-for/
Told you so,

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=36904

two years ago.

Who's crazy now, eh? :P
Old 2013-06-03, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Dragonskin
Major

I think PS2 would be cool on the PS4, but I think they could go after a game like Everquest Next easier. Something that doesn't necessarily need a mouse and keyboard to compete. If PS2 is on the PS4 it would likely be for console only servers. Which would be nice to get PS2 exposed to more players, but won't really help us have more players.

Console isn't a bad playing space. Less cheaters. Every ones plays on the same settings and displays the game the same. Same controllers across the board. Makes for a more even playing field than PC in a lot of cases. The only thing really holding consoles back before was the severely limited number of players on a server. If they can get PS2 to run on PS4 you might have a lot of people switch... unless they already heavily invested in their PC account.

I can see PS2 running on PS4 for sure. Even if they have to scale it back to 48v48 like they plan for the MLG stuff then that would be a hell of a lot better than what consoles have now... 32v32 max. I bet they could run higher than 48v48 as well. In MAG (PS3) you technically had 128v128 on the Domination maps. They just had the maps split up with objectives and lanes so you really never saw all 256 people in 1 area.
Old 2013-06-04, 12:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Root Hade
Corporal

I think it'd be good for PS2 on PC in the long run if it did come to PS4. But I'm skeptical, I think Smed was talking about EverQuest. Some enthusiastic people on Neogaf were saying PS2 should come preinstalled on the PS4 as a good free demo of the touted 'PC architecture'. It'd be pretty sweet for consoles anyway, with DUST514 and Destiny (whatever the fuck that game is going to be).

How the heck do consoles handle UI for MMOs though..? PS4 does that have touchpad on the controller. Imagine that as cursor input lol

Last edited by Root Hade; 2013-06-04 at 01:00 AM.
Old 2013-06-04, 01:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Maidere
Sergeant

Dont think PS4's CPU is good enough. Maybe they will make a simplified version, like xbox/ps versions of BF3.
Old 2013-06-04, 03:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

AKA: Planetside 2 for dummies.

I highly doubt a console will be supporting a game with as many people as PS2 in real time. A more simplified MMORPG maybe.

I can easily see a multiplayer game like Warframe being released on PS4 though.
Old 2013-06-04, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
PredatorFour
Major

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
IF they do then I just hope... Nay demand, that they do not forget about the PC version and just focus on the console version. Seen this happen too many times in the past to not be worried about the prospect.
Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
AKA: Planetside 2 for dummies.

I highly doubt a console will be supporting a game with as many people as PS2 in real time. A more simplified MMORPG maybe.
I would argue that this has already happened in the design process of PS 2 compared to the original. I could really see PS 2 coming out on PS 4 and i could believe it influenced how the game was designed with a simpler approach.

Last edited by PredatorFour; 2013-06-04 at 05:47 AM.
Old 2013-06-04, 06:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
the issue isn't the date or operation of the DirectX runtime. the issue is direct software support for PlanetSide 2. Forgelight was built for DirectX and it simply will not play if the system does not support DirectX.

And if you talk about changing PS2 from DirectX to OpenGL, or some other renderer, that is gobs of work that I do not think SOE has the money for. They did not bother using a more up-to-date version of DirectX because of hardware compatibility. For PlanetSide 2, this was a silly move. For other SOE games, like EverQuest Next, using DX9 will be a massive boon to the inclusiveness required out of MMORPGs.

As for what this meant about how the game runs, PS2 is soft on the video, and hard on the processor due to poor multithreading. I'm not sure how much DirectX is related to how many cores a game will use.
Then what about all those multiplatform games? There are alot of games on PC with run on DirectX who also have a PS3 version with runs on OpenGL. I doubt it will be that hard to do, and if it does I doubt it won't pay off. Also since every PS4 is the same, apart from the HDD maybe, it is MUCH easier to optimize for the system since every system is identical.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2013-06-04 at 06:29 AM.
Old 2013-06-04, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
Then what about all those multiplatform games? There are alot of games on PC with run on DirectX who also have a PS3 version with runs on OpenGL. I doubt it will be that hard to do, and if it does I doubt it won't pay off. Also since every PS4 is the same, apart from the HDD maybe, it is MUCH easier to optimize for the system since every system is identical.
Right, I guess I will research later since its a good point.. but I don't think any console uses DirectX... not even Xbox. If they did Xbox is likely the only one since it is the only one running in a Windows environment. To my knowledge DirectX is very much a Windows only product. The Wii and Playstation have always used their own operating system. Both platforms get multiplatform games. I highly doubt that DirectX is a big factor.

But, its an interesting argument so I will have to see what I find I guess. Never thought about it.
Old 2013-06-04, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
bjorntju1
Captain

Smile Re: PlayStation 4 to "be a great platform for MMOs."

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
Right, I guess I will research later since its a good point.. but I don't think any console uses DirectX... not even Xbox. If they did Xbox is likely the only one since it is the only one running in a Windows environment. To my knowledge DirectX is very much a Windows only product. The Wii and Playstation have always used their own operating system. Both platforms get multiplatform games. I highly doubt that DirectX is a big factor.

But, its an interesting argument so I will have to see what I find I guess. Never thought about it.
As far as I know, the 360 and the Xbox One (what an awful name btw) only supports DirectX (I don't know what version, but I don't think they ever specified that.) and the PS3 and PS4 are using OpenGL. I don't know how hard it is to change an engine over from DirectX to OpenGL and vice versa. But I never heard a developer complain that they had problems with that. But I am no developer so I can't truthfully answer that. The main problem with the PS3 was the cell processor with was really hard to develop for since it was a new architecture. But that is a problem of the past with the PS4.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2013-06-04 at 07:40 AM.
Old 2013-06-04, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

They would be fools to not pack a console specific version of PS2 with the PS4 at launch. Absolute fools. It's such a good idea for the PS4 in general.

Given how development of PS2 is going, I would imagine they would have a separate SoE team working on porting the PC version to the PS4. The PC version being the easier version to patch and receive feedback on.

Last edited by wasdie; 2013-06-04 at 09:11 AM.
Old 2013-06-04, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

If this game hits the consoles you may as well just give up on any 15year life expectancy that smed banged on about. Every future development would be made with the PS4's very limited power in mind and to please the console kiddies and look what a mess they made pleasing the codkiddies.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-06-04, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

As far as I know, the 360 and the Xbox One (what an awful name btw) only supports DirectX (I don't know what version, but I don't think they ever specified that.) and the PS3 and PS4 are using OpenGL. I don't know how hard it is to change an engine over from DirectX to OpenGL and vice versa. But I never heard a developer complain that they had problems with that. But I am no developer so I can't truthfully answer that. The main problem with the PS3 was the cell processor with was really hard to develop for since it was a new architecture. But that is a problem of the past with the PS4.
I thought that Sony will allow DirectX in the PS4.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...atures-at-gdc/

Sony is building its CPU on what it's calling an extended DirectX 11.1+ feature set, including extra debugging support that is not available on PC platforms. This system will also give developers more direct access to the shader pipeline than they had on the PS3 or through DirectX itself. "This is access you're not used to getting on the PC, and as a result you can do a lot more cool things and have a lot more access to the power of the system," Norden said. A low-level API will also let coders talk directly with the hardware in a way that's "much lower-level than DirectX and OpenGL," but still not quite at the driver level.
although as Linux user, I would hope they can also use OpenGL so I can play more games in Ubuntu.

Last edited by Rahabib; 2013-06-04 at 10:51 AM.
Old 2013-06-04, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Dragonskin
Major

I'll be selfish and hope that they put Planetside 2 on PS4 for the simple fact if they do put it on the console then they will have to improve AMD performance. Since I use an AMD FX-8350 4.0Hz processor and AMD Radeon HD 7970 3gb video card any games they put on console could potentially be a win for AMD users since both consoles use AMD Jaguar processors with Radeon cards.
Old 2013-06-04, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
AThreatToYou
Major

These multiplatform games are generally funded by massive publishing companies who can simply force a developer to give their OpenGL rendering tricks to someone else and then dev the game off of that. Indie devs, unless they are running for Xbox and PC, rarely release multiplatform games using DirectX. It might still happen, I don't know. I have been put under the illusion from beta and alpha testing for multiple small developers that independently producing an OpenGL instruction suite that can compete visually and performance-wise with DirectX costs as much [read: takes as much time as] developing an entire game, and honestly if they can do that [their employees] would be better off working as software engineers rather than game developers.

but hey, I've never actually done it. I don't know how complicated it is.

I know there are multiplatform games. However, Forgelight, as far as we know, was not built to run on consoles...

However, with the PS4 promising DirectX support, I think it is entirely likely that PlanetSide 2 will be released on the PlayStation 4 at launch. Since the PS4 has DX support, Forgelight might have some trickery up its sleeve. For example, during the PlanetSide 2 beta, PS2 was reporting usage on up to 8 cores. . . . ...

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-06-04 at 01:50 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion