PlanetSide Universe
PSU: where Monty Python quotes are always appropriate
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2003-06-17, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
xuur
Inventor of Dirt

rest assured, "that beta person" is neither of those.

yes, the NDA is still in effect but its said will be lifted shortly before release.

No, its not a twitch game by any stretch of the imagination, so player skill in using a characters skill base effectively will be more important than good reflexes and a broadband connection.

like I said, its not going to be for everyone to be sure.
Old 2003-06-17, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
TekDragon
Contributor

Originally posted by Airlift
The fact that it is based on character skill instead of player skill gives me enough reason to be concerned.
So says the bastard generation of children being raised in a world without true RPGs like Final Fantasy, Ultima, and Dragon Warrior.
Old 2003-06-17, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Robot
Major

Originally posted by Warborn
Is the NDA for SWG still in effect?
Yep

Originally posted by TekDragon
So says the bastard generation of children being raised in a world without true RPGs like Final Fantasy, Ultima, and Dragon Warrior.
please give me the definition of, "a real RPG." that is entirely subjective judgement
Old 2003-06-17, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally posted by Warborn
Is the NDA for SWG still in effect? If it is, I seriously doubt the game is nearly as good as it is being hyped as. It is extremely unusual for a MMORPG to be in NDA till its release date, and unheard of for the NDA to exist till release if the game is actually good, because the good stories that will be heard from testers will improve sales. Disregarding all opinions and supposed Beta stories, the fact that SWG is still in NDA is enough reason for you to be concerned.
^^

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-06-17, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
TekDragon
Contributor

Ignorance sure is bliss, eh?

SOE has already done press releases on why the NDA is still up. Their answers were logical, made good sence, and were met with overwhelming approval.

Dont believe me? Go check the official site. Or go check a fan site. Just, for god sakes, get yourself informed. Please.
Old 2003-06-17, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Prowler
PSU Realdoll

War, you spoke beautifully.
Old 2003-06-17, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally posted by Prowler
War, you spoke beautifully.
a/s/l?

Ignorance sure is bliss, eh?
Probably. I don't think I could stand to experience another poorly executed MMORPG. But, that's why I have guys like Chryse, the Peruvian Guinnea Pig, to play the games and tell me whether or not I'll want to do so myself.

As for reading the official reason for it being up, I also question your logic behind what you wrote in response to me.

Quoth the SW:G forums, found here:
"Essentially we don�t need negative press about some bug that won�t be present in the released version of the game. Is keeping the NDA in place the proper solution? That�s actually debatable. Some people would argue that we are trying to hide something by doing so. They are right, but not in the way they think. We�re not trying to hide a bad game as we have tons of people who are loving SWG. We just don�t feel it is appropriate to air our dirty laundry when we are in the process of getting it to the dry cleaners."

So what they're saying is that today, 06/17, there are a lot of Bad Things to be found about SW:G on the Beta forums. By 06/26, all of these Bad Things will no longer exist. In nine days, they will have solved all of the problems that are currently plaguing the game.

And there are no Americans in Baghdad, right guys?

The fact of the matter is that you do not fix a game in nine days, especially one as complex as MMORPGs tend to be. If the game were ready for release, there wouldn't be a lot of crap for them to conceal from the public. There'd be a few minor gripes, as there were with PlanetSide, and a lot of other people answering the thread, calling the poster a "newb whiner fagort" for complaining about something which will be fixed soon. They are hiding bad press which wouldn't be there if the game was in good shape, plain and simple. If you choose not to understand that, so be it. Just try not to use the word ignorant when dealing with someone whose experience with the topic at hand you yourself do not know the extent of. History, as we all know, has a habit of repeating itself.
Old 2003-06-17, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Prowler
PSU Realdoll

I am a Realdoll. :o
Old 2003-06-17, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Trol
Staff Sergeant

They said at the first announcment of the package deal that SWG will not be included in it. They made some BS excuse about different developers/marketers. Fact is they know EVERYONE is going to want to play SWG and they dont need to package the subscription up to attract people. I concur. PS was a poorly developed game (considering its potential) and it needs all the help it can get. SWG does not.
Well in that case, no SWG for me.

Catacombs Network News:
DAoC Catacombs
WoW Catacombs
Final Fantasy Catacombs
Old 2003-06-17, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Led

I want to be a tall skinny gay fashion designer named Carlos.

"Simply faaaaahbulous! Mmmnh!"
Old 2003-06-17, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
TekDragon
Contributor

Led you need to tell me what server you play on when you get in game. My guild is going to need a Nazi bitch
Old 2003-06-17, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Robot
Major

Originally posted by Led
I want to be a tall skinny gay fashion designer named Carlos.

"Simply faaaaahbulous! Mmmnh!"
there's a mexican place around here called senor carlos. it has the absolute most heart-stopping mexican food in like forever, and it costs like $15 for three tacos
Old 2003-06-17, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
TekDragon
Contributor

Originally posted by Robot
there's a mexican place around here called senor carlos. it has the absolute most heart-stopping mexican food in like forever, and it costs like $15 for three tacos
*hands Robot the "most random post ever" award*
Old 2003-06-17, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Onizuka
Lieutenant General

That will be a game that will actually be WORTH the monthly fee.
so i guess your saying ps isnt? and if thats what you meant them im also guessing you cancelled your account.
Old 2003-06-17, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
TekDragon
Contributor

Originally posted by Onizuka
so i guess your saying ps isnt? and if thats what you meant them im also guessing you cancelled your account.
Brilliant Thats correct, im saying PS was not worth $50 at release and so far they have done nothing to warrant $13 additional dollars.

Yes, they made their own engine. I dont care, so did the designers of Quake. Yes, they have server costs they need to pay. We all know (or at least we all SHOULD know) that this game requires 1/100 the server space of games like EverQuest, StarWarsGalaxies, and Asherons Call 1 & 2. 13 dollars a month for a game that doesnt warrant 6$ a month is pathetically greedy.

$50 to get a handful of uninspired "futuristic" weaponry, 5 cookie cutter bases, 3 factions that are nothing but replicas of each other (ONE medium assault weapon each, ONE heavy assault weapon each, and ONE vehicle assault weapon each = laziness), and 2 faction specific vehicles?

Then I have to pay 13$ for 2 pen sketch pictures of 2 common pool vehicles that took less than 4 hours for a programmer to think up and put in the game?

No thank you.

Yeah PS is MMORPG. But ive had bigger and better and cooler and faster and more intence battles in Tribes 1 and 2. Not to mention battles in Tribes 1 and 2 relied on skill and twitch, not whether your using this weapon or that weapon. No. In Tribes a plasma bolt to the face kills you just as fast as a disc launcher or a mortor or a laser bolt. They all took skill and a pro with a weapon had a chance against a pro with another weapon regardless of range (jackhammer can suck my dik you no skill newbs, try hitting someone with a disc laucnher flying 50 meters in the air at 90mph).

Asherons Call 2 failed because Turbine made a pretty game with no content. SOE has made the same mistake with PS. Only thing that keeps PS from failing completely and utterly is that its got the title of "massively multiplayer" and suckers will continue paying, not realizing that whats the point of having 1000 people when you cant get 100 of them in a single battle.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge