PSU: [Insert clever quote here]
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2003-08-15, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

That could be the case, but it is not. As it stands now, the only thing that will happen if we leave the virus on our comps is that Microsoft will get a shit load of requests and bring there servers down for a few hours or better yet a few days. I think they deserve it. If this worm could bring down the global economy like you say than get rid of that damn thing.
Old 2003-08-15, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
TekDragon
Contributor

Why would bringing down Microsoft's servers for a few days be a good thing? Are you a fucking retard? One of those little anarchists dip-shits that runs around screaming "anarchy anarchy!" then goes crying to the police when someone hits you with a bat?

Microsoft is the police of the internet world. When a virus comes out, their scientists and technicions are the FIRST ones working on it and the FIRST ones to get out a fix.

They work hand in hand with the FBI and are currently working with the FBI now to track down whoever released this virus (as well as the 4-5 modified types).

Get real. Get rid of your "down with the man" attitude. Your only proving you have no grip on reality or the way the world runs.
Old 2003-08-15, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Everay
Major General

plenty of reasons to hate microsoft

http://microsuck.com/content/whatsbad.shtml

and im not saying bringing down microsoft update for a day or two is a good thing, i just think its cool
Old 2003-08-15, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
TekDragon
Contributor

I read that entire page.

Sounds like Microsoft really knows how to develop a business strategy.

Im sitting her with WinXP Pro, browsing the internet with Internet Explorer, checking my email with Hotmail, listening to music with Windows Media Players, and talking on MSN messenger with another PSU member about oral sex techniques.

I Microsoft
Old 2003-08-15, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Ryuuji
Sergeant

Talking

Thx Tek!
Old 2003-08-15, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Onizuka
Lieutenant General

Originally posted by Ryuuji
Thx Tek!
how bout no.
Old 2003-08-15, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Sputty
Banned

Originally posted by TekDragon
Why would bringing down Microsoft's servers for a few days be a good thing? Are you a fucking retard? One of those little anarchists dip-shits that runs around screaming "anarchy anarchy!" then goes crying to the police when someone hits you with a bat?
Get real. Get rid of your "down with the man" attitude. Your only proving you have no grip on reality or the way the world runs.
Indeed, I have "anarchists" at my school who whine about rules being broken and don't seem to understand what anarchy means. If there was anarchy I guess I'd get some nice use out of those big knives no one needs.
Old 2003-08-16, 12:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Squick
Major

Originally posted by TekDragon
What you kiddies need to realize is that the ENTIRE WORLD dodged a bullet with this one.

The maker of this worm discovered an exploit that could have, potentially, allowed him to wreck the global economy.

Whoever he was, he either had a conciounce.. or he was simply a poor hacker.

If this virus had worked at its FULL potential it would NOT have allowed windows to detect it (thereby shutting the PC down). Instead it would have nested itself and sat quitely for a week, then activated. A properly coded worm could have deleted every file on your PC.

You got that right Tek... A bit over three weeks ago I e-mailed all of our techs with an urgent e-mail letting them know about this vulnerability that was being discussed on the BugTraq and Incidents newsletters. I could not believe what I was reading, there was a bug in the DCOM service of WindowsNT, 2k, and XP that allowed anyone to quickly run anything with system level permissions. The author said that he had notified Microsoft and that in four weeks he was releasing the "full disclosure" including source code for exploiting the bug. The next day Microsoft had a patch out and I told my techs that under no circumstance should anyone not be patched within two weeks.

Sure enough, two weeks later the script kiddies had persuaded the bug's founder to release the code early. The next day the wide-area scanners were already available to detect what machines were vulnerable. I was able to scan the class-B subnet that my cable is on in under 60 seconds, and found nearly 400 vulnerable machines.

So I looked through the code he released, found it to be cosher, compiled it, and ran it against my R&D windows 2000 machine. Easy to use program, its just the command, a number from 1 to 5 telling it what OS and SP the machine is, then an IP. Afterwards it did not say anything, so I did not know what it did till I did a bit more research and found out that it opened a telnet session on port 4444. So I telnetted to that machine on port 4444 and to my surprise I had had a plain ole command prompt on that machine! I was able to run, view, delete, anything!

Bugtraq is already talking about a hex-edited version of Blaster that is deleting files, but if you have not patched your machine yet you deserve to get knocked out...

And on another note, it is good to see someone that is not just mindlessly slamming Microsoft... WindowsXP is a damn good OS for me... Most people that slam Microsoft have never used Exchange 2000, SMS, Terminal Services, or any of the other countless amazing programs by Microsoft... Sure, IIS might not be as good as Apache. Microsoft SQL might not compare to MySQL for Linux... But Microsoft makes some darn good server products...

And Tek, where can I get in on your "classes" that I have been reading about?

Squick
Old 2003-08-16, 02:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Love Microsoft if you want. There are defiantly things to love about them, I am not denying that. There are also a lot of reasons to hate them. Here are a few:

1. Their software is loaded with security bugs.

2. Their License fees are way higher than they should be. This is especially bas for small business

3. They crash more than any Unix based Operating systems*

4. They don't think of new ideas. They buy the companies that think of new ideas and either use the idea them selves or completely destroy them.

5. It is not open source like Unix.

6. Form a programer's stand point, their software is poorly designed under the hood. In other words, most Microsoft software is much larger than it has to be, and it is poorly written.

*My dad has a linux box at work. He can change any part without even cycling the power. For instance if the hard drive flakes out, he can plug another one in, and remove the first without having to turn the computer of. He leaves that thing running for months at a time. Do that with any windows machine and I will give you $50. Seriously.

Edit: Did I ever say anything about wanting anarchy? No.

Last edited by Jaged; 2003-08-16 at 02:23 AM.
Old 2003-08-16, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Sputty
Banned

The open source argument is BS. How would a company survive if their products were free.

Everything has security bugs.

Their prices are competetive with other priced OSes

"4. They don't think of new ideas. They buy the companies that think of new ideas and either use the idea them selves or completely destroy them."
Give me an example please

It's not Windows crashing or going down, it's the programs. People could get the computer to stay up for months if they did little with them
Old 2003-08-16, 02:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally posted by Sputty
The open source argument is BS. How would a company survive if their products were free.
Than please explain how unix survives.

Everything has security bugs.
True, but most ms products are riddled with them. Some of them are very obvious too. There email program (I cant remember the name) opens attachments as soon as it gets them with out even waiting for the user to ok it. This makes it easy for a hacker to send you an email virus.

Their prices are competetive with other priced OSes
MS word costs a few hundred dollars! Explain how that is "competitivly priced". The only reason they can get that price for it is that they started of selling it for cheap so everyone bought it. Than they jacked up the price and made it so you needed ms word to read another ms word document. This forced businesses to continue to buy outrageously priced updates to keep everything compatible.

Give me an example please
Ok, you got me there for the time being. I will get back to you on that, though.

It's not Windows crashing or going down, it's the programs. People could get the computer to stay up for months if they did little with them
Windows should be able to take all the programs you can cram on your disk. In any unix environment, if a program crashes, the operating system is unscathed. you dont have to reboot every time your software crashes.

Last edited by Jaged; 2003-08-16 at 02:49 AM.
Old 2003-08-16, 03:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Derfud
Brigadier General

Misc Info

It seesm viruses have alot of trouble downloading themselves onto your computer when you are using a 3rd party internet browser that identifies as IE 5. The virus is incompatible with the programming, even though it doesn't think it is. I love opera
Old 2003-08-16, 04:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Squeeky
Contributor
Teh Masturbator

Clean.
Old 2003-08-16, 04:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Mejwell
Sergeant

Good ol' Windows 98SE.
Old 2003-08-16, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Squick
Major

Originally posted by Jaged
*My dad has a linux box at work. He can change any part without even cycling the power. For instance if the hard drive flakes out, he can plug another one in, and remove the first without having to turn the computer of. He leaves that thing running for months at a time. Do that with any windows machine and I will give you $50. Seriously.
You can Paypal the $50 to me whenever you get a chance...

Dell servers have no problem with hot swapable hard drives. Windows 2000 server allows you to install nearly all components now in days without rebooting. (DHCP, Wins, any IIS component, any printing subsystem, Terminal Services, among a few)

You can also rebuild a RAID5 array (at least with the Promise controllers) without rebooting from a GUI within windows...

Squick
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge