Phoenix - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please keep your tray's in the upright position.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-17, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Katanaboy
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rbstr
Teh peonix pwns yous guys!

Yeah i always said the pheonix has its potential. but i think it could use a little more speed of reloading so i could be used indoors regularly, not the special case dumb alone maxes.

But it needs a bump against TAnks and the like, NO change to max damage thouhg (if thats possible)
But the lancer is somewhat difficult to use indoors, too. CoF bloom (which thankfully got reduced) and delay in firing mean that you might be dead before the first shot even comes out. Twitch is useless for lancer due to the bloom, unless you are sniffing the MAX's ass, in which case you'll probably be dead in a few seconds.

I think the phoenix is fine the way it is. In base assault it rapes any max that walks outside, and since much more NC use it now, vehicles dont last absurdly long, as driving outside will attract about 5 phoenixes, which doesnt take too long to kill the aforementioned vehicle.
Old 2003-11-18, 04:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Doppler
Contributor
Major

[QUOTE=BadAsh]The primary strength of the Phoenix is not in stopping power per shot. It�s about the ability to strike targets that are initially out of sight of the shooter. This is extremely powerful!

During a siege of a base with vehicle terminals open in the court yard just get yourself a AMS (for reloading) and a Phoenix. Then park the AMS on the far side of a mountain over looking the base and pound the vehicle terminal. With the Phoenix a single player can deny the entire enemy force the use of vehicles for the duration of a siege.

The only genuine complaint that the NC have is this is the ONLY weapon in their arsenal that requires a little thinking and finesse to use to it�s full potential. So it does not fit with the NC creed. [QUOTE]

You've never used a phoenix before have you, for starters why the frag should I have to haul an ams around for an ammo supply. Secondly, the range of the phoenix is considerably crap and it's turn ratio make shooting over base walls and then angling back down somewhat dicey at best. Secondly shooting a phoenix at a vehicle term is more or less worthless because even if i could find your hypothetic mountain overlooking a base the enemy could get a vehicle term repaired in the time it takes me to reload. TR are just bitter about the fact their striker actualy has to be pointed at the target now to hold a lock. I mean their used to being able to shoot in the general area of the enemy and circlestrafe it to death. Or shoot near it like their pounders.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2003-11-18, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Any NC worth his salt will drop Special Assault for Phoenix thanks to the new dumbfire mode.

NC now has tons more AV troopers.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-11-18, 07:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Kikinchikin

heck that thing annoys me when im trying to snipe.

takes i think 4 or 5 missiles to kill a reinforced trooper.
Old 2003-11-18, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Doppler
TR are just bitter about the fact their striker actualy has to be pointed at the target now to hold a lock. I mean their used to being able to shoot in the general area of the enemy and circlestrafe it to death. Or shoot near it like their pounders.
You're funny. You accuse him of never using a Phoenix and then go on to give a laundry list of urban legends about the Striker as if they were fact. The Striker always had to be pointed at the target to hold a lock, the only real differences are that you can't dumbfire a Striker and get a late lock now, and you can't reload or you'll lose your lock. Circlestrafe a MAX with a Striker? I'm sure it could have been done, but I never saw it. You were able to kill a MAX fast enough with Strikers that unless they were on top of you it wasn't really a concern. Shoot near it like Pounders? The Striker has/had almost zero splash damage, you may be confusing it with the Decimator.

The Phoenix isn't overpowered now, but it is the best of the AV certs.
Old 2003-11-18, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

You've never used a phoenix before have you, for starters why the frag should I have to haul an ams around for an ammo supply. Secondly, the range of the phoenix is considerably crap and it's turn ratio make shooting over base walls and then angling back down somewhat dicey at best.
AMS? You are right, with scores of rockets per box there would be no reason to have an ammo supply, you can carry all you need. Oh wait, its only 3 per box....

Turn ratio? Again, you are right. The turn ratio is SO crappy there is no way the Phoenix can shoot over a wall and hit any target like a fixed and stationary vehicle terminal. All those posting here about mobile moving MAXs getting owned inside base walls are all TR and VS propaganda agents spreading LIES to discredit the NC!!!

Secondly shooting a phoenix at a vehicle term is more or less worthless because even if i could find your hypothetic mountain overlooking a base the enemy could get a vehicle term repaired in the time it takes me to reload.
Repair faster? Hypothetic mountains? Again, you are right... NO BASE IN THE GAME has any mountains or rocks or slopes that would provide cover for an AMS within Phoenix range... and we all know the Phoenix damage is so light that it's basically just a flare gun letting the enemy know where you are. In fact no MAX, Vehicle, or Terminal has ever been destroyed with a Phoenix. Again, the TR and VS propaganda machine is in full swing...

BadAsh

P.S. I'm just givin ya crap man Basically I completely disagree with your post, the Phoenix is VERY effective as geting over base walls and taking out targets of choice... sure it takes a few hits, but you are hitting from a position that no other weapon in the game can hit from.
Old 2003-11-18, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
GeistX
Contributor
Corporal

Everyone may complain the Phoenix is weak alone, but I never see Phoenix users alone, they travel in roving wolfpacks (which is very smart). In most of the VS (defend) vs NC (attack) base sieges, it is fun to watch the mini-map and see the swarm of Phoenix missiles that are constantly floating over the base. Any MAX that steps outside is toast, anyone trying to use a Vehicle term is toast, the air support has to keep dodging (people have failed the mention the Phoenix can be deadly against air due to the no lockon warning). The snipers can't get the Phoenix users because they are behind trees. Very effective. The snipers have to watch out as do the engineers roaming the walls because the Phoenix can get them behind the barriers and in cover (granted a single missle won't kill a grunt, but it will make you move).
Old 2003-11-18, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

My NC char is the only char I have AV on. The phoenix sucks at actually killing anything but it is an absolute menace (it ownz MAXs but you have to compete against all the Decimator users). Much like the above poster said, you are never contending with one Phoenix user and so vehicles are destroyed quite efficeintly. The only kills you hardly ever get tend to be MAXs and the odd aircraft or lightning. Tanks and heavy buggies I almost never get kills on. They always are blown up by mines, decimators, or other vehicles. Phoenix's can terrorize the vehicle pads of bases and that is really nice, and you can even see and follow other Phoenix user's missles to see what they shooting at.

This weapon sucks by itself but is balanced with the fact that it is very fun to use and is deadly in groups (always the case)

EDIT: cool, sgt major now

Last edited by Queensidecastle; 2003-11-18 at 11:12 AM.
Old 2003-11-18, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Ait'al
Contributor
General

You've never used a phoenix before have you, for starters why the frag should I have to haul an ams around for an ammo supply. Secondly, the range of the phoenix is considerably crap and it's turn ratio make shooting over base walls and then angling back down somewhat dicey at best. Secondly shooting a phoenix at a vehicle term is more or less worthless because even if i could find your hypothetic mountain overlooking a base the enemy could get a vehicle term repaired in the time it takes me to reload. TR are just bitter about the fact their striker actualy has to be pointed at the target now to hold a lock. I mean their used to being able to shoot in the general area of the enemy and circlestrafe it to death. Or shoot near it like their pounders.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its a weapon like the modern RPG stuff(not the RPGs, the guided ones we have.). they have to haul around trucks to get more than a few shots. It only makes sense and its a nice way to encourage everyone not to try to make everyweapon a powerhous. and for the angling thing ahve you tried firing at a higher angle and then redirecting it back down after its at an angle you can see inside the base. You could get 50 Pheonix users at a front a of a base kneeling down all of a suddon(with other things attacking) firing at a 75 degree angle aboove the base and raining pheonixs down in things inside. I imaging taht would be pretty damn affective. As long as they learn how to coordinate shot so 50 of htem odnt hit the same target. (like after the innitial simultaneous firing(for looks) angling there missles at differetn angles to see everyone elses and letting a few of htem lead the way and hte others picking off what didnt kill or wasnt targeted.) That would be one hell of a frightening site.

and like i said i think it makes sense for one or two pheonix users to need an ams. Once you get 3 or more and enough space dedicated to ammo you should have lots of firepower, which i think is the design. the AMS in this case is a nice thing they added to allow you to use one on yoru own or with only another person. Its the point of having put a mobile refilling station in hte game. 8)

And if your on your own cant you just get a nice spot hide in the cloak and fly a missle till you find a base and just fire missle after missle at a base 500 meters away. You can always fly around the base and hit htem form the opposite side your firing form and make it impossible to find where you fired from. If you kep the missle low to the ground untill you get on the other side and then fly it up to get the right angle to hit stuf in hte base. You could get a freind and do that all day long and make them look like there coming from every side of the base and confuse the hell out of them.

Im going to steal lots of these things or make an NC character just to try it. lol

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-11-18 at 03:43 PM.
Old 2003-11-18, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
ZjinPS
Staff Sergeant

I think the entire category of weapons should be renamed. Anti vehicle is somewhat misleading. It should be anti-max. MAX are about the only thing you can effectively take out with them. If you can catch a beat up Lightning or Harasser you may take one of them out. You are pretty much wasting ammo on the big boys, Vanguards, Prowlers and Magmowers..

This changes a bit if you are with 2 or 3 more AV cert holders. But most armor will simply mow you over or pound you with the cannons before you do much at all.

Long story short, don't worry about taking out heavier vehicles. Unless you have advanged targeting and know they are about to explode. Save your AV ammo for MAX's. You'll do more good there.

I keep a striker with me most of the time, even if I only carry a light load of ammo for it ( 5 or 10 rounds) Its still enough to take out atleast 1 MAX.
Old 2003-11-18, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Cant you just get a squad of Pheonix users and hide in an ams cloak somwhere and fly pheonix missle around like plains and fire on stuff when you find it. You could fly them in formation and let the leader pic targets and just follow his missle when he strikes something and then hit something else real quick if its destroyed(like leaders drives into something then the next guy after he sees impact then the next till stuff is destroyed). Would it be that hard to learn how to find the squad of missles again after you fire on into something and get back in formation with a new missle?

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-11-18 at 03:52 PM.
Old 2003-11-18, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
ZjinPS
Staff Sergeant

Ait'al,

The only thing about that is, the actual flight is pretty short. Im not exactly sure, but I'd guess 8 to 10 seconds tops? Kind of hard to fly in a formation and pick targets. But hiding in a AMS sphere and firing them out sounds like a pretty cool idea. I don't know if you could see enemy thru the target finder thingy would work tho.. seeing as you cant see people on the opposite side of the sphere. But it would be worth trying.
Old 2003-11-18, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Well then i think they should increase the flight time of the pheonix to like 5 minutes. 8) If thats not enough increassing its speed(either flat out increase or letting you have some control over its speed with a higher max speed that it has now.) or increasing hte flight time or both.

Im going to be Vanu and id love the challenge. And if the missles cant be shot down they should change that too. that way you could have a chance of blowing htem out of the sky.8)

It would give some sort of individual base threat wich would be very nice to have id immagine. That way you have to make some defense plans besides just mass stuff for zergs. Like mosquito squads to take them out and detect them.

if they cant see out the cloak they always have audio amp. So you can tell when enemys are near and you dont fire out it when ther right there adn give yoru possition away etc. It could be the new staple of Pheonix user Implants. 8)

Demand that the Pheonix has what i just said. 8) Bug the devs day and night till they give in! I want to face those in game!

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-11-18 at 04:16 PM.
Old 2003-11-18, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Spee
Colonel

WTF? Phoenix hard to use? Please.

It takes some practice, as do all weapons, but once you're good, and luck doesnt hurt either, you can stealth-fly missiles. Find a door open to a staircase to the top of the base walls, fly it up there, fly low along the ground, and smack a MAX in the ankle.

True, you could just pilot it over the walls, but no one goes "HOLY SHIT! WTF was that!?" when you do it un-stylishly.
Old 2003-11-18, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

NC can park an AMS in any courtyard and be relatively sure that guided missiles aren't about to come over the wall from behind a hill 200 meters away and blow the AMS to smithereens.

If you're NC, try to imagine how big a strategical element that is. Nothing else compares.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion