New Comp Suggestions - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I heard that PlanetSide was gonna be like, kewl or something.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-11-23, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
WildHamster23
Private

Get a Dell....
wait for good deals... I will try to update good dell deal....
I just got a new dell but the deal is over.
you can never build a comp that is cheaper than a Dell, if you wait for a good deal.
my new dell
Deminsion 4600
p4 2.66 (533mhz bus)
512 Ram (2x256 PC2700, 333mhz)
9800 non-pro (out perform the 9600xt)
80 GB (hard drive)
48X CDRW
Gigabit ethernet card
integrate 5.1 sound card
optical mouse + keyboard
Plus a nice case
no floppy drive ( will get a 128mb USB memory key for $33 from dell home)
no speaker
Total $550
Can anyone beat that price
Old 2003-11-23, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Searo
Second Lieutenant

Here's how its going so far-

New Computer- ($960)

Monitor- ViewSonic/Optiquest E70FB 17� .25mm Flat Screen SVGA Monitor Black Color ($125) http://www.buyxtremegear.com/e70fb.html

Processor- Intel Pentium 4 Processor @ 2.6GHz 800MHz w/ Retail CPU Fan ($175)
http://www.buyxtremegear.com/intel260800.html

Graphics Card- ? ($150)

RAM- 2x Kingston DDR PC 2700 512Mb sticks ($148.00) http://www.z-buy.com/product.asp?item=RD-512KT333

Optical Drive 2- Lite-on 52x32x52x CD-RW Drive - Black ($52.00) http://us-depot.com/lion52becddr.html

Optical Drive 1- Sony 16x DVD-Rom - Black ($37.00) http://us-depot.com/son16xdvdrom.html

Floppy Drive- Samsung 1.44Mb Floppy Drive - Black ($9.50) http://www.openlinx.com/english/prod...roduct_id=1012

Case- Aspire Black X-Dreamer Turbo Case with 350w Power Supply ($50) http://www.buyxtremegear.com/xdreamerblk.html

Cooling Fan- Thermaltake TT-9025A-2B 90x90x25 High Performance DC Case FAN ($8.00)
http://www.dealsonic.com/ther90higper.html

Hard Drive- Seagate 80GB ST380011A ATA100 7200RPM OEM ($72)
http://www.ajump.com/ajump/default.asp

Mouse/Keyboard- Black Chieftec Matching Keyboard and Mouse ($24.99)
http://www.xoxide.com/blacchiefmat.html

Speakers- Mitsuko Active Multimedia Speakers ($.01)
http://www.buyxtremegear.com/redcolinmous.html

Motherboard- ABIT NF7-S REV 2.0 ($105)
http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/Prod...ku=MB-ABIT-011

Card remains an unknown until you guys tell me whether 256ram or XT edition is better. Hehe.
Also, are OSes expensive?
Old 2003-11-23, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

for that price the XT is FAR better, the 256 mb of ram there is wastful, and the XT has temperature sensors and warantied overclocking.

XP home full at bestbuy or the like will run 200 pro 300, OEM from Ajump or the like wil run you 90 pro 200

And you got a p4 so you NEED to get Pc 3200 or higher 2700 is a waste of a processor. Its will only be 10 bucks more.

And One more REALY REALY BIG thing that mobo is not going to work, you couldn't even fit a p4 into it, its an Athlon Mobo. I Sugest either an Asus P4P800 Deluxe, i have one its sweet with lots of features. Or an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, the same thing but with a 875p chipset, if you have the money.

[RANT!]Oh that dell is craptastic in comparison to what he will have if he gets as stated above, with a correct mobo though, you get what you pay for, even though it may seem like a good deal, the raddy there is barly goin to outpreform a 9600 pro, because its the cheapest one they can find, so its has the worst memory possible, that still goes by the ATI specs. The ram is cl3 crap, the p4 is a 533mhz oldie, and most of dells mobos suck, except the XPS mobo, but that offers no bios options, it won't even let you use cl2 memory, its locked at cl3.

If you a realy stupid and cant put together your own comp the yes buy a dell, but the price of a GOOD computer that was home made compared to what dell would make with the same price is going to be a far better deal. Or if you need a crappy computer for surfing the web or typing things, because you can't beet dells prices on the lowest prefoming things [/rant]

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2003-11-23 at 05:50 PM.
Old 2003-11-23, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Suggest you go with the 9600pro XT version. The XT's are supposed to have a higher speed core and memory bandwidth inside the card. Where did you find that 9600pro XT?

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2003-11-23, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Searo
Second Lieutenant

BuyXG.com

Ok-So, upgrade RAM. Get a different Mobo. Check.

Will do.

Thanks.
Old 2003-11-23, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

If you can float the extra $30, get the ATI version. You'll be sure to get the frequencies that the XT's have.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2003-11-24, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

no ge the powercolor 9600 XT it has faster rams than the ATI specs

EDIT on second though go with the cheaper one, and also all RAdeons have to meat the minumum specs that ATI says so if you but a 9600 XT it will be as fast as the one made directaly by ATI, if not faster because mamufacturers are alower to use faster memory/ clock speeds if they want

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2003-11-24 at 03:24 PM.
Old 2003-11-24, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Searo
Second Lieutenant

There are three cards-
1. ATi Radeon 9600XT with 128 ($180)
2. ATi/Sapphire 9600XT with 128 ($150)
3. ATi/PowerColor 9600 Pro with 256 ($150)

I'm seeing the 2nd option as the best deal.
Old 2003-11-24, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

get the sapphire XT
Old 2003-11-24, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

yeah get the saphire

Old 2003-11-24, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
WildHamster23
Private

The 9800 non-pro from Dell uses the samsung ram which is good for OC!!
No matter how you OC an 9600XT, you cant beat an 9800 np
The 9600 xt is 4X and the 9800np is 8X
The dell MOBO has an 800 mhz bus, you can upgrade up the cpu anytime you want.
I can ebay my old cpu for $120 and get a new 2.6HT for $175.
Then I can get a pair of 512ram for $150
$550 -$120 + 175 + 150 = $755

I'm not trying to discourage you from building your own comp.
If you know what you are doing then building a comp is simple and easy.
If you don't then it is going to be pain in the butt, but it is worth it. Cause you will learn a lot of shit about computer, and you will spend lots of time researching on how to tweak your comp to make it perfect.
Conclusion: To save money get a Dell.
To learn more about Comp build it yourself.

Also, get a 19' flat CRT you won't regret it.
Old 2003-11-24, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

NO THE 9600 is not a 4x! for god sakes all new cards are 8x even the 9200 and 5200 are 8x. You can't savfe money making a highr preformance sytem with dell. A top of the Line P4 3.2ghz 800mhz fsb with a gb FAST ram, 9800 pro/xt a good well cooled case and all the usual fixings built yourself beats the dell thats made that way by almost a k, you can shose brands yo want not just the brands dell gets the cheapest. plus you know your getting the parts you want and don't have to deal with tech suport because you know how the thing works. plus you know its been put together with quality and care. for gods sake adding a floppy drive costs $20, you can go to your local pc place and get one for 5

Old 2003-11-24, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Searo
Second Lieutenant

Also, what does the AGP slot size have to do with quality anyway? Besides the fact all good cards are 8x, it has nothing to with it.

I was going with Sapphire, just wanted to see if anyone could justify the extra $50.

Also, I'm sticking with the 2700. Anything else is just too expensive right now. I might upgrade later.

19' is too expensive also. I don't need a giant screen, I'm what, 6 inches away? 17' is fine.
Old 2003-11-24, 09:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

2x 4x and 8x are the speeds of the bus.

I don not mean to offen dyou buy saying that about del they are a respectable company for the most part, even though they can have very deceptive adverting, and for many people it has its uses, especialy laptops and SFF systems but for their desktops its obvious that they care little for prefomance baseing almost all advertizing on Processor Speed in ghz and HD space, but a Pentium M that goes 900mhz can outpreform my Celeron 2.4 ghz easily.

Old 2003-11-25, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Yea, the parts picked out here could maybe beat his dell, at twice the price. And it would not smoke the Dell either. I bet after less than $200-$300 the Dell would win hands down also, so in total would be cheaper and be better.

The 9600XT is 8x AGP yes, but who cares, AGP 4x-8x means jack crap. The 9600XT though does ONLY have 4 pipelines, 2 geometry engines, and 128 bit memory interface! Where as the 9800NP has 8 pipelines, 4 geometry engines, and a 256 bit memory interface. These cards are NO WHERE near the same league ok, understand hello, anyone home??? The 9600 XT is WELL under 9700 Pro speeds still. The 9800 NP is in the big boy ranges of fps, not the midrange. The 9800 NP can EASILY upgraded to 9800 Pro and its guaranteed pretty much b/c its not actually having to unlock anything, its just clocking back up to full speed where it should have been to begin with. Wonder why Dell doesn't sell 9800 NP's anymore? B/c its to good a deal.

This difference in video power alone would give his Dell quite a lead in any 3dmark battles. And speculating is dumb, just run some 3dmark tests and see what you get.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum