PSU: That was naturally occurring lag.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-12-08, 10:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Ait'al
Contributor
General

You dont have a 500w from another comp you could swtich real quick to test it do you? And like Rbstr said try unplugging the video and sound cards and see if it does it still whne you run the photoshop or whatever you said. Disconnect as in it power supply, at witch point see if those numbers go back to what they should be. It mat be a new PSU but that doesnt meant that its not being over zapped. You have some new components there.

The unplugging Vid and Sound is the easy way of trying a higher Watt(w) PSU without having to change it temperarely so try it first and see if it still does it. If it does its nothing to do with you PSU unless part of the mother boards faulty or fried. So that can eliminate a lot! Undo any modems too, unless you only have an online thing to check your system performance. Wait cards get power form the MOBO lol nm.

IF you software disengage a card will it stop using enough power to do the test?????

The best thing right now is to test it in one more good way to eliminate possibilities. 8)
---------------------------------------------------------

AAHHH NM scratch everything i just said!!!! You said your getting blue screens in place of it which makes it a software problem!! 8) DUH me!

what motherboard you have again(Ie does it suport the 9800 ). Has anyone suggested the driver thing? Yea Disable the sound and vid and see if you still get the error. If its not there you can bet its one of them and should just "load" one back up at a time and see if it causes it. BBRRR me stupid today!

Last edited by Ait'al; 2003-12-08 at 10:51 PM.
Old 2003-12-08, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

well unplugging the video card does little good since it does it really only in games. I mean it did it once while in photoshop, but that could of been a whole other thing.

well this just might be a coincidence but I just underclocked my CPU to 1600mhz(12x133mhz) and I havent crashed yet. (it is a 2500+[1840mhz], 11x166mhz)
Old 2003-12-09, 01:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Exclamation

Off Topic. but... We need votededs

http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=17368 Poll on best part of forum. ;d
Old 2003-12-09, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

The event log in winxp is under start > all programs > admin tools. You have to turn admin tools display on under task bar/start menu items. Should find the error there.

As for what Rbstr was talking about, he is referring to your house power. If you live in an old house, got a big old fuse box, etc. The power can sometimes be described as dirty. There are fluctations, surges, all kinds of crap that can have serious effects on your pc. I know this for fact b/c I've lived in big old houses and have friends who do and pc's sometimes last less than a year of this before they just crap out totally. There are things called "line conditioners" you can get. You can also use a UPS to draw power from instead of straight from wall.

As for the PSU... did you check its readout again after you underclocked your cpu and compare to previous readouts. What brand PSU, and is it a good heavy duty and I mean heavy psu? I would HIGHLY suggest you pump the juice to your CPU also. What are you at now, 1.6, 1.7? Take it up a cpl .025 notches. It can handle 1.8 even if your mb will go that high. This defintely sounds like culprit. Its common issue for NF2 boards to undervolt. You set it at one voltage, but its actually push less than that to the cpu.
Old 2003-12-09, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
_-Gunslinger-_
First Sergeant

The current official terminology is that a coldboot is when a computer was completly shutdown (requiring a POST) and a hotboot (i think cant remember since all it is is a reboot) is just a reboot. Hardboot is when the power is cut without a propor shutdown. And softboot is when theres a propor shutdown. Note that cold/hot is more hardware inclined and hard/softboot is more software inclined.
Old 2003-12-09, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

yea it posts everytime, Of course Ever since I underclocked it no reboots at all even after playing all night long. I'm so glad to be finally getting somewhere.

thanks for all teh help guys
Old 2003-12-09, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Ait'al
Contributor
General

There was never a change in terminology. Just a lot of misinformation and people thinking it was anything but and continually insisting it is. And im serious.
Old 2003-12-09, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Ait'al its impossible to ever think of you as serious heh.
Old 2003-12-09, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

Jesus i take a lil break and theres alrdy a 2 page thread. Nice work Ninjas

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-12-13, 04:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

just a lil update.. still stable at 12x144 (1728) gonna see if i can get it back to stock tomorrow...
Old 2003-12-13, 07:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
JonnyK
Major

ok, oneman, if underclocking it solved the problem, maybe you should take off the heatsink and stuff, check to make sure your thermal compound is all there, that the heatsink is working correctly and all that. and maybe you could get a volcano or something to keep it nice and icy on that cpu, that may solve your problem if you've isolated ur cpu as the problem.
Old 2003-12-13, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

oh ive already got a beefy cooler atop it. and i will do that at some point. perhaps when im not so lazy. but its stable for now... it was wired because it started out of the blue one day... but again thanks for all teh suggestions,,,
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum