Is Lasher A Spam Weapon? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Y'know, Marsman approves these, too.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Lasher Lash Friendlies?
Yes, It Should Lash Friendlies as Splash Damage. 46 57.50%
No, It Should Not Cause Damage To Friendlies. 34 42.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-03-09, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
LimpBIT
Lieutenant Colonel

Of course it should. If it didnt do splash damage to enemys what would be the point of having a grief system for the vanu? It would make it unfair for everyone else. The lasher owns everything it touches. At the least it could have a setback.

Old 2004-03-09, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by LimpBIT
Of course it should. If it didnt do splash damage to enemys what would be the point of having a grief system for the vanu? It would make it unfair for everyone else. The lasher owns everything it touches. At the least it could have a setback.
Grief is a punishment for people who abuse/break the rules. Not for balancing weapons.

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-03-10, 04:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
SuperBallz
Corporal

Never Said That Lasher Was UnBalanced Or OverPowered, Or Anything Of The "Nerf The Lasher" Type Of Statements. I Was Just Asking a Question. Wanted Some Opinions.

I know Lashers Are Being Used More.

I Know Lashers Are Spam Weapons.

I Do Read The Forums.

Grief IS NOT Punishment For Abuse Or Breaking Of The Rules, Never Seen Exploiters Get Grief.

Surge Implant Has Know Bugs, Never Heard Anyone Getting Grief From Using It.

Anyway This Is NOT A NERF THE LASHER Thread, If Ur Gonna Whine, Do It On Another Thread, PLZ

Poll Looks Close.

Last edited by SuperBallz; 2004-03-10 at 04:53 AM.
Old 2004-03-10, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Poll looks close, except if the Lasher *should* do such things, the vote would not be this close. When it's 70% for and 30% against is when you have a point in this game. Simple majority won't cut it.
Old 2004-03-10, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Destroyeron
Troll x2

Originally Posted by SuperBallz
Thumper + Spam + Friendly Fire = Grief
Rocklet Rifle + Spam + Friendly Fire = Grief
Reaver + Spam + Friendly Fire = Grief
Flail + Spam + Friendly Fire = Grief
Burster Max + Spam + Friendly Fire = Grief
SkyGuard + Spam + Friendly Fire = Grief
That's an amazing list because I don't greif with any of those weapons, even when spamming. Your aim must really suck.
Old 2004-03-10, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
SuperBallz
Corporal

Destroyeron, Your Saying My Aim Sucks? Don't See how U Can See Much Better, Post Something Related To Subject, take the Flames Elsewhere

But Let me break it down for u,

If u have a "Thumper" and r "Spamming" and u hit a "Friendly" u get "Grief".

D-O Y-O-U U-N-D-E-R-S-T-A-N-D?

Sorry, For That, Just Trying To Slow It Down For Some :P
Old 2004-03-10, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Destroyeron
Troll x2

Originally Posted by SuperBallz
Destroyeron, Your Saying My Aim Sucks? Don't See how U Can See Much Better, Post Something Related To Subject, take the Flames Elsewhere

But Let me break it down for u,

If u have a "Thumper" and r "Spamming" and u hit a "Friendly" u get "Grief".

D-O Y-O-U U-N-D-E-R-S-T-A-N-D?

Sorry, For That, Just Trying To Slow It Down For Some :P

naw, still don't
Old 2004-03-10, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
SuperBallz
Corporal

Ya, Some Just Don't
Old 2004-03-10, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I frankly hate the lasher, and refuse to use the damn thing, BUT I don't want every noob on the VS side griefing me to death either. I still say the devs should just make the HA weapons souped up versions of the MA. The TR already have this. Lose the JH and give them a nice big railgun, and lose the lasher and give us an oversized pulsar.
Old 2004-03-10, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Indecisive
Major General

Need to down the clip and remove the 40000 yard lash with 10 dmg each.

JH and MCG = balanced

Lasher = wtfhax. So...cheap... you dont even have to TRY to kill someone. You shoot at this guy over here and get 50 extra kills.
Old 2004-03-10, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Super,
If you're going to try to do implied flames (and I try because thus far you've failed miserably at every attempt) don't try to pull the "take your flames elsewhere" card in the same post. Also, before trying to take the intellectual route, it's generally considered wise to have some idea what the hell you're talking about.

Grief IS NOT Punishment For Abuse Or Breaking Of The Rules, Never Seen Exploiters Get Grief.
Grief is there to stop, *gasp* griefers. You know, the morons that enjoy running around shooting people on thier own team for amusement? Griefing is, in fact, against the rules so in effect, yes, grief is there to stop people from breaking the rules.

Grief is not there to balance weapons. It never has been. Does it need to be factored in when trying to figure out if a weapon is useless or not? Unfortunately yes, it does.

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2004-03-10, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Indecisive
Major General

My outfit mate got 500 grief once from the eviromental socitey for shooting a tree.
Old 2004-03-10, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

How about this, for every enemy the lasher lashes, it looses energy/damage. That way, it is more on par with other HA weapons by not being able to lash for a virtualy unlimited ammount of damage. Also, this sudgestion was made by my outfit-mates, the lash damage could go streigt to armor with no penetration value. That way, people wouldn't be dieing with 75 armor left.
Old 2004-03-10, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Majik
lose the lasher and give us an oversized pulsar.
What do you think the Quasar is...even says so in the description.

From the august archives of our own PSU "Armors" section:

"The Quasar is a high-powered version of the man-portable Pulsar rifle."

Yep. That'd be a monkey wrench in that plan.

The Lasher and the lash concept is fine. There are some minor problems with the weapon's mechanics, but those aren't it.

All of the examples of "spam" weapons are using the weapon incorrectly. If you use a rocklet or a thumper in packed mass of friendlies, then yes, you'll get grief. They are designed to be used against fortified hard points of enemy resistance to break them up and allow other troops to clean up (hence SPECIAL assault). Not as a support fire when there are troops between you and the enemy.

The Reaver isn't supposed to be launching whole clips of rockets near friendly forces. They're hunter-killers and are supposed to be picking off stragglers and enemies in locations where the infantry can't reach.

The Burster and Skyguard are both supposed to be used against Air Targets, using them against ground targets is an incorrect usage and can easily result in grief.

The Flail SHOULD be used against selected targets and only when friendlies are not in the massive cannon's line of fire. Any one-shot kill weapon (let's not debate the Flail here) needs to be used with EXTREME caution, it's a trade-off for the insta-kill. Using it to randomly fire into an enemy CY without any reports on when to stop firing is not using the correct tactics for that weapon and will result in lots of grief really fast.

The Lasher is SUPPOSED to be used in the manner in which it is used. It's a suppression weapon, as has been mentioned. That's why the orbs are slow, to provide said suppression as opposed to bullets which are gone almost as soon as you fire them.

Also, if the lashes hit friendlies, you'd cripple the weapon and provide the exact argument you're using now to the Vanu. You complain that no area affect weapon is immune to hurting friendlies. Change it and now the Vanu can argue that no other empire's weapon causes damage to friendlies ON THE WAY to the target. Two-edged sword. Plus the VS who do not use the Lasher should not have to worry about every single Lasher out there, as no TR or NC has to worry about their friend with a HA weapon (except cloakers, since SOE decided that the green name should take five minutes to show up when you're targeting them).

The Lash is fine. The Lasher, bugs aside, is about right (reload time should be dropped to the "HA Standard" perhaps...if the bug fixes don't bring things into line).
Old 2004-03-10, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

mmm..You know everyone is complaining about a weapon that hasn't had any really change to it.
Only difference is the lashing goes out further, got extra 5 rounds.
That's it.
I'm surprised no one has complained about it before the changes, its still the same old. Just that more people are using it, seems to make people realise it can actually work as a Heavy Assault weapon....

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion