Space Combat REDUX - no flaming please. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 17% Nanite by Volume.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-17, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Really, because there wouldn't be that many rearm pads for the current weapons. The advantage of new weapons is you can bend the rules slightly. Plus there's a slight physics reason as well...those aircraft have no means of reversing thrust to a sufficent level. In space, you don't have friction to slow you down.

One of the concepts I was working on (like I said, what's up there is rough draft) was the ability for fighters to "powerdown" in space and become invisible to radar and mask their visibilty. This would be especially effective in the asteroid and junk fields (again, rough draft...some new concepts in the offing ) and would allow them to do ambushes of passing convoys.

On the topic of mini-ships (for lack of a better distinguishing term) I'd thought that it would be cool to include something like that, from destroyer up to a light frigate, but they always felt "wrong"...they wouldn't be right as vehicles, as there's an awful lot of wasted space...there's already a bunch of transport vehicles, so they wouldn't be as useful for that...

I suppose that portion could be examined again. I also want to do a revamp of the weapons to put in a few more "spacey" ones...like I said, this design sheet was off the cuff.
Old 2004-03-17, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
oddfish
Colonel

my idea isn't to have a zillion of these damn things running around, or even as many as there are vanguards, in fact, far fewer, plus no vehicle bays to spawn them. The idea is you can board these smaller class vessels and take them for your empire. They can't be destroyed but massive damage will disable them and kill the crew. They'd remain in space and float about when disabled and would require massive amounts of repair to bring them back online.

My Blog
[20:19] <Phobos> oddfish: Glad to see you, now help me move this dead body.
Old 2004-03-17, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

That was my thought too...more like "mobile towers" in a sense in that they'd have capture points and require 1 Salvation ship to start repairs after being hulked.

Then I thought about the PS engine and the horror stories the devs give us in regards to towers being part of the map etc. so I re-thought that idea. Couldn't come up with a satisfactory way of making them work without being boardable (by that I mean they have their own interior layout), so the idea was shelved as a "well, if I think of a good way to put it back in I will" sort of thing.

If I don't respond for a bit, it's because I'm actually playing PS, instead of posting about it.
Old 2004-03-17, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
oddfish
Colonel

gotcha.. so we wait for a more efficient means to add this concept to the game, if none arises, we scrap it. gotcha.

My Blog
Old 2004-03-17, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
OfaLoaf
Colonel

So there'd be
-A couple huge undestroyable warships that just get severely damaged and can be taken by all sides, boarding parties and all.
-A few more medium ships (transports, stations).
-Many small 1 and 2-person ships.
Old 2004-03-17, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
oddfish
Colonel

basically.. sort of.. i think..

My Blog
Old 2004-03-17, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
MYcrimsonTEARS
Corporal

1) reaver should have lock one rockets ... in space of course
2) the bases ether should be LARGE ships or LARGE bases on some moon
3)troops with lower armor than max should have a lemited time in space so the max can take center stage
4)only air craft can be spwaned.
5) libs bombs become dumb fire and are more like rockets but do no less damage.
6)there should be more def. items in the bases like blast doors or spites inside
7)the eject system should be alterd to shoot you behind the craft.
8)a pilot pick up vech should be made... posably a dual perpose vech thats smaller than the gall but can hold jut as many PEOPLE.
9)a pilot suite should be made
10) you knew it was coming... empire air craft!
Old 2004-03-17, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

You left out the orbital stations, which are similar to the huge ships.

Those huge ships can be "destroyed" meaning they provide absolutely no benefit whatsoever and are just big pieces of scenery. They also have an impact on the surface though (benefits are up for debate still!) so it becomes worthwhile to get them. And God help the other two Empires if one manages to get and maintain space lock on a weekend.... Since a lot of CR5s put in 6 hours or more on those days...that's a terrifying amount of OSes to deal with.

Hence, why you need to be in space to keep it from happening.

I'm also tinkering with new fighter and bomber designs, but as I've said elsewhere, there's only so much you can do before you just start repeating a theme.
Old 2004-03-17, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
kcirreda
Corporal

Oddfish, no 1 can take u serious with that NC sunchine thing (LOL). I like what your trying to do. Just keep up da good work!
Old 2004-03-17, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by MYcrimsonTEARS
1) reaver should have lock one rockets ... in space of course
2) the bases ether should be LARGE ships or LARGE bases on some moon
3)troops with lower armor than max should have a lemited time in space so the max can take center stage
4)only air craft can be spwaned.
5) libs bombs become dumb fire and are more like rockets but do no less damage.
6)there should be more def. items in the bases like blast doors or spites inside
7)the eject system should be alterd to shoot you behind the craft.
8)a pilot pick up vech should be made... posably a dual perpose vech thats smaller than the gall but can hold jut as many PEOPLE.
9)a pilot suite should be made
10) you knew it was coming... empire air craft!
Most of those things are addressed. Some new empire specific craft were added to the design sheet. We're trying to get a depature from the standard PS fare in space (except for the boarding actions, of course).

I do, however, appreciate the suggestion on blast doors...that'd give the security control point an actual purpose (doors are closed if the side with security has dominion, open if they don't). Make the blast doors rather sturdy (like, Vanguard armor) with a pair of sentry guns on them (one big thing for the purpose of damage/repairs) that can be hacked open for 20 seconds. Nice....very nice...gives me warm fuzzies just thinking about that on the warship (not so much on the transport).

Also, if anyone can think of a different capital ship class, don't hesitate to suggest.
Old 2004-03-17, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
oddfish
Colonel

hahaha.. well, i like my sig. it's ridiculous, like i can be sometimes

other than that, i'm still fighting for micro-capital ships. i won't let that one die. i'll come up with a good way to implement the damn things, i assure you.

My Blog
Old 2004-03-17, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by oddfish
hahaha.. well, i like my sig. it's ridiculous, like i can be sometimes

other than that, i'm still fighting for micro-capital ships. i won't let that one die. i'll come up with a good way to implement the damn things, i assure you.
I hope you do. I love the concept.
Old 2004-03-17, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
oddfish
Colonel

same here.. it's just so damned complicated.. oh well.

My Blog
Old 2004-03-17, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
EarlyDawn
Major General

Thoughts:
-MAXes should only be avaliable at the armory.
-Need a ship type (Factory Ship?) that commanders can uplink to and use their CUDs to order in droppods with vehicles at the cost of outfit points.
Old 2004-03-17, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by EarlyDawn
Thoughts:
-MAXes should only be avaliable at the armory.
-Need a ship type (Factory Ship?) that commanders can uplink to and use their CUDs to order in droppods with vehicles at the cost of outfit points.
Both excellent ideas Early. Perhaps the ability to drop vehicles if you own a transport? that would entail vehicle creation pads...and the possibility of vehicles in space...a use for those big cargo bays perhaps?

I assume the MAX tweak is for the big ships only. Thinking over it, if you have 3 orbital stations and 4 classes of ship, that's 11 big things on the map, which would be about the size of a continent (which is our design goal) so maybe a factory ship will be added...I'll have to mull that one over.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion