Is 3rd person cheap? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Man a turret!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Is 3rd person PoV cheap?
Yes 7 15.56%
No 32 71.11%
I don't care, shutup, leave me alone. 5 11.11%
Teflon > * 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-03-18, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

It exposes a shitload more of you then it should, how is it hard to take a few simple precautions? If your that pissed off about it I can just go up another floor and shoot you when you start to hack, since you obviously have trouble with clearing an area.
Old 2004-03-18, 09:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Also 3rd person leaves you with a lot of blind spots, but it is very useful for getting one's bearings and checking surroundings. Dealing with it in towers it pathetically easy as well. Hump the blind spot along the wall on your way up and 90% of the time catch them with their pants down.
Old 2004-03-18, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

The problem with 3rd person is it's unfortunate association with Surgile exploiters (again, this is not all Surgiles). They will stand in a tower and wait for someone to come up then flip on surge and warp around like mad.

However, on this issue I agree with Eldanesh and Incompetent, it's a compensation for abilities that you SHOULD have, but don't. There's no lean command in this game, you can't hear FOOTSTEPS in this game (explain how a guy in heavy armor like a MAX tromps up the stairs without making a sound....ask any teenager, it's damned near impossible to go up carpeted steps in socks without making a ton of noise).

There are some things that can't be coded in, and 3rd person is a sort of means of representing it.

If you're coming up stairs in an enemy tower, shouldn't your gun be drawn anyway? I know currently I've got a Punisher with a jammer grenade just waiting for that exploiter to try something...usually works too.

Taking out 3rd person is a bit too much, IMO. I don't use it because I'm too lazy to remap my keys, so I usually get killed trying...but just because I don't use something and it causes me to be killed often doesn't automatically mean it should be taken out.
Old 2004-03-18, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Subterfuge
Corporal

Why dont we ban the crosshair too, because you can tell where your aiming, not like in real life. IT's so h4x!

Old 2004-03-18, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Subterfuge
Why dont we ban the crosshair too, because you can tell where your aiming, not like in real life. IT's so h4x!

The reason it should be disabled indoors is because they are completely safe from danger and detection, yet they can see you as if they were right infront of you, then attack without warning, while knowing your EXACT position, and you didn't know they were there in the first place

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-03-18, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Dharkbayne
and you didn't know they were there in the first place
This is where being extremely paranoid comes into play. Every tower I walk into I act as if there is someone in HA rexo hiding around the corner. 9/10 times there is not, however I still remain prepared, humping the blind spots are the best way not to get caught wit your pants down.

You don't have to know they are going to be defending, EXPECT IT!
Old 2004-03-18, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Cauldron Borne
Captain

umm...

If you think you are going to go into third person view, swich on DL, turn around, go BACK to 1st-person view, think again, REAL hard..

Also- If yer so worried about those nasty people who use the game to its fullest potential, may suggest the Thumper, Mr Paranoia?

AND- HEY! the cloaker can: see you with out you seeing it and kill you without you ever having a chance. OMG! N3RF T3H C10@CKER HA><><0RZ!

SPAM SONG! (Yes, it DOES exist kiddies.)
Old 2004-03-18, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Dharkbayne
The reason it should be disabled indoors is because they are completely safe from danger and detection, yet they can see you as if they were right infront of you, then attack without warning, while knowing your EXACT position, and you didn't know they were there in the first place
How is this different from a real-life trained soldier waiting and paying extremely careful attention to the environment around him to ambush an unsuspecting enemy?

The mechanism may be diferrent, but the results are the same.
Old 2004-03-18, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I like to go in the middle of the two stairs (one leading down one up) and use third person that way I know where the person is coming from then right before they get there I surge up or down the stairs, depending on where he is coming from, and I get behind him before he really realizes what is happening and take him out.

Edit: Cheap? I guess in a way it is but, it is fair to use when you are defending a tower from 10 enemys that might hotdrop or come up the stairs.
Old 2004-03-19, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
SuperBallz
Corporal

What about the Nerf it is to INFs, they cant sneak up towers or in base when u use third person. you Can See Them Without DarkLight!! It Is ImPossible To Get To Some one in third person in a tower using INF.
Get A Grenade, ok, so u throw a nad next thing u know they surge down and wipe u up quick.

If someone is using crawl or silent run ur not suppose to hear them.

Leave it in for outdoor use, but drop the indoor use.

and if ur consintrating on a hack a crawling INF should have a good chance of killing u, that is the purpose of having backup.

Sry for spelling errors.
Old 2004-03-19, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Surge
Private

In my opinion since we all have access to it, its not super cheap, but there is a HUGE exception.

Because of clipping, in some places in basements, you can actually see through walls into other sections of the basement. This can be horribly abused using boomers, nades, and other indirect weapons (maelstrom mostly). In addition to this, you can see the enemy WELL before they can see you.

I won't tell you exactly where this location (there are actually many locations) of seeing through walls is, i'll just say go into the basement of almost any facility, crouch, and SLOWLY turn your player away from the wall in 3rd person mode. As the perspective moves closer to the wall it will begin to zoome in (because the camera is restricted) but as some spots you can actually see through the walls to other locations in the base. Doing this is impossible in first person.

I personally like the theory of "if you can put a spitfire there, you can use 3rd person there." Because it will allow you to view in from exterior doors (and make sure there's not a mob there )
Old 2004-03-19, 03:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
GAJ VESTITE
Private

3rd person needs a little aiming cross in the middle so u can use it to kill!
Old 2004-03-19, 04:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SuperBallz
What about the Nerf it is to INFs, they cant sneak up towers or in base when u use third person. you Can See Them Without DarkLight!! It Is ImPossible To Get To Some one in third person in a tower using INF.
Get A Grenade, ok, so u throw a nad next thing u know they surge down and wipe u up quick.
Its really not that hard to see infiltrators in any view, 3rd person or otherwise. In fact, I don't know exactly what you mean when you complain about seeing infils without DL as a 3rd-person only kinda thing.

Now whenever I hack a tower I sit with 3rd peron on, sometimes it saves me, however if the cloaker tries to hide in a corner and throw grenades at me, they are going to die. If they run up and stick a beamer in my back, I will probably die before I can turn off 3rd, surge out, medkit and draw jh.
Old 2004-03-19, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Where is the "yes for infantry, no for vehicles" option?
Old 2004-03-19, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Stellerence
Private

I think it should stay, its a bit late to remove it now its a part of everyones play, seems to me the devs are listening to any random idea, in fact ideas i once laughed and thinking they were some kind of debate that would rise and fall are getting done, like removing surge (lets face it, it wont be used after). Switching Deci to AV (i benefitted though) and now removing third person view. I just wonder what other idea some-one brought up i can't remember, maybe it will be the crosshair nerf next?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion