PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I am Locustus of Borg!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-05-22, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
TekDragon
Contributor

Oh, my apoligies then. I made an assumption. I'll go check out that link now - i'd be suprised to find something superior to a Seagate. Just wondering about the price..
Old 2004-05-22, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

no problem, i added some more links from THG if you guys want more i'll dig some up

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-05-22, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
TekDragon
Contributor

Seagate did a good job - the new 200 GB Barracuda 7200.7 is currently the fastest UltraATA drive in terms of transfer rates. With up to 64 MB/s, it even outperforms Western Digital's WD360 Raptor drive, which runs at 10,000 rpm. However, the transfer speeds at the end of the medium cannot cannot compete with the Raptor of course.
Old 2004-05-22, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

oh i may be proven wrong wich one was that from, i may not have read it

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-05-22, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
TekDragon
Contributor

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040209/index.html
Old 2004-05-23, 02:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Acaila
First Lieutenant

Sennheiser shits all over Pioneer ffs.
Old 2004-05-23, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
TekDragon
Contributor

Originally Posted by Acaila
Sennheiser shits all over Pioneer ffs.

By any chance would you happen to be an Nvidia fanboy?
Old 2004-05-23, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
tbdsamman
Corporal

Originally Posted by Daleon
Forget buying a new computer and buy a new escalade instead. Geez, little cash to burn? I'd go with The One Personal Super Computer or a Mach 3.8 system from L systems.

http://www.go-l.com/news/product_news/2004/index.htm

You won't be able to buy that video card until July 1st or later prolly. For really high end I'd also go with like 2 raptor 74 gig drives in raid 0 and then a 250 for storage. Also the plextor 712SA is out, so get that over the plexwriter maybe if you were into it. With technology going through such a major changes over next 6 months buying anything like this now is bad timing though.
Yeah I think thats whats going to happen in the end.
Old 2004-05-23, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

I think I saw a deal on hitachi desktar 250 gig drives for $105 after rebates and WD 250 gig'ers for $140 after rebates. Check AT forums/hot deals. Some awesome deals.

Personally I don't believe there is anything such thing as overkill, especially when it comes to HD read/write speed. I can ALWAYS find something that will push even the fastest setup's to their limits.
Old 2004-05-24, 02:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Acaila
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by TekDragon

By any chance would you happen to be an Nvidia fanboy?
Oh god. Do you seriously believe that thinking Sennheiser is better than Pioneer makes me a fanboi?
Old 2004-05-24, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
TekDragon
Contributor

Originally Posted by Acaila
Oh god. Do you seriously believe that thinking Sennheiser is better than Pioneer makes me a fanboi?
Yes, because if you weren't a fan boy you would do your research. You would know that I suggested to him DJ quality headphones.

If you had done research you would have gone to DJ websites and found that "Headphone selection" is one of the BIGGEST topics of discussion.

And, while Pioneer is not the BEST, it does, however, beat Sennheiser hands down in DJ quality sound/coverage/comfort. The exact model I suggested is almost always ranked in the top 3 favorite DJ quality headphones.

So do some research and come up with something better than "Pioneer sucks, Sennheiser r0x0rz" if you don't like the fanboy label.
Old 2004-05-24, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Now, you sound like a Pioneer fanboi to me. Seriously guys, don't get into the whole fanboi arguement thing.

Also, arent DJ headphones typically open-air? Wouldn't a gamer want closed headphones?
Im not a headphone expert but this Sennheiser vs Pioneer thing seems a lot like an AMD vs Intel arguement to me. I say this because before I wrote this post, I read a random review on each of the companies high-end headphones from the same website. (http://www4.head-fi.org/) Both recieved high praise, though, to be honest, I didn't understand half of what they were saying. Also, the reviews were very intangible in nature, essentially, there weren't any hard numbers in them. It was all stuff like "The midrange was powerful at high volumes, yet seemed a bit supressed at lower volumes...".

Without any hard numbers in these reviews one cannot say "THESE HEAPHONES ARE BETTAR THAN THOSE!!!one1". It comes down to personal preferance it seems to me.

::Sprays his fire extinguisher over Acaila and TekDragon::

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2004-05-24, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
TekDragon
Contributor

1. This started out with me suggesting Pioneer, someone else seconding it, then Acaila coming in a basically saying "Pioneer sucks, Sennheiser rocks" with no reason what-so-ever.

2. DJ Headphones are closed air.

3. DJ Headphones are the epitomy of high quality sound. Great highs, great lows, and everything in between. No canniness, no far off sound.

4. Commercial and amatuer DJ's take their headphones VERY seriously. Pioneer's HDJ1000 happens to be one of the favored DJ Headphones. Sennheisners are not.

I don't see how any of that is me being a pioneer fanboy. I will be the first to admit that if you want a open air non-DJ quality headphone go with something else. If you want a built in mic, go with something else. However, if you want excellent sound quality in a closed environment then go with the HDJ-1000.

That's my recomendation. I don't appreciate getting flamed for that with a "Omg! Dude! Pioneer is t3h sux0r! Go w/ Sennheisner cause I think it's l33t dude!"

To continue with the STRUCTURED INFORMED DEBATE, of which Acaila has no interest in participating in: heres a pic of the Pioneer HDJ-1000

• 3,500 mW of maximum input allowing high sound volume with best possible clarity
  • ear pad fully encompasses each ear
  • Both ear pads have a swivel mechanism allowing the ultra-light HDJ-1000 to be manipulated to any desired position
  • plush padding makes it possible for music professionals to wear the headphones for hours of listening pleasure
  • compact folding design
  • ear pads made of a tear resistant material
  • special screws that hold the cord in place, making it simple to replace the cord should the need arise

You can get them for around $100

Last edited by TekDragon; 2004-05-24 at 01:30 PM.
Old 2004-05-24, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Dude, enough. Acaila has never said that he is not interested in a structured informed debate. He said one statement and it set you off. He obviously had a reason for saying that, whether it be an informed statement or not.

Reading the reviews at head-fi.com, I'm seeing a lot of high praise for both Pioneer and Sennheiser. TekDragon, if you are seeing websites that specifically say Pioneer is better, why don't you post the links, and settle the discussion. I'm just trying to prevent a flamewar on a good thread here. I'm sure Acaila is willing to explain why he believes Sennheiser is better; TekDragon, relax a bit dude.

Christ, I'll bet that if a typical gamer like me put on high-end headphones from both of these companies, I wouldn't hear a goddamn difference. ::Shrugs:: I'm sure a DJ may notice a difference, but most of us here are gamers. All we want to hear is explosions and the screams of our enemies. Whether those screams have "optimal high-frequency clarity" and the explosions have "powerful tone with no muddy bass" probably won't matter much. I'm sure both companies make perfectly good headphones for a gamer. Whether they make the best DJ headphones or not, TekDragon and Acaila can argue about that, but I really don't think its an issue that relates to the topic (a good pair of gaming headphones).

edit- sorry if I'm acting like a moderator or something... I just hate seeing good threads turn into flamewars over stupid stuff. Rbstr man where are you? This is YOUR job!

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-05-24 at 02:17 PM.
Old 2004-05-24, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
TekDragon
Contributor

Notice i didn't much explemplify the sound differences.

When i listed the points i listed the comfort, durability, and cost as the main reasons to go Pioneer.

If your looking at JUST sound quality then, again, I would still go for Pioneer HDJ-1000 but i realize that for gamers once you hit a certain sound thresh-hold it becomes a moot point and the comfrot and durability (with the cost) play a MUCH bigger part in picking.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum