Comp running slow, and has a few problems, need help. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You Like Pie?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-05-25, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Yeah and KVR stands for "Kingston Value Ram" aka "Cheapo crappy RAM".

Most likely Alienware did not put KHX ("Kingston Hyper-X" [Gaming RAM]) into your system because they usually try to get away with shit like that.

Hope for KHX RAM, especially KHX3200/512 (no "A" in the model num.)

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-05-25 at 12:12 AM.
Old 2004-05-25, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Alienware does have some issues, but if your playing games and they are going slow, its not the hardware. If your still using the OS they put on it or from their restore cd, its prolly whats buggered. Problem is they don't give you a regular copy of XP either. So you need to come by a copy somehow that hasn't been modified by them. Next problem is you normally have to install their MB drivers, etc. This could also make things go south, but gotta do what you gotta do.

A friend of mine just bought one of their AMD64 3400 systems with X800 Pro. Its a total lemon. Their drivers are no where near ready for this system. And their support are useless and annoying.
Old 2004-05-25, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
TekDragon
Contributor

Wrong. I tried using a regular version of XP.

The problem DOES lie in the buggy hardware combinations they use. Of course, i wouldn't say that problems with their POS OS don't exist.
Old 2004-05-25, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by TekDragon
Wrong. I tried using a regular version of XP.

The problem DOES lie in the buggy hardware combinations they use. Of course, i wouldn't say that problems with their POS OS don't exist.
the only problem with upgrading my machine is Im saving up for a car, and since Im also trying to save up for a mega PC upgrade by the end of the year, the 2 funds might conflict eachother.
Old 2004-05-26, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Wrong, nice blanket statement. Yea we all have to go off experience, and my experience tells me one persons problems with a brand system are not always another persons problems with the same brand, especially when the systems are different.

I know of a number of alienware systems between 2-3 years old that are still running very strong today. So saying a reinstall of his OS, especially from a clean cd, won't help speed his gaming back up is childish and really unhelpful. Yea throwing money at a problem can fix it, if you got the money to throw. But try and come up with actual help for people instead of always saying buy a new PC.
Old 2004-05-26, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
TekDragon
Contributor

Originally Posted by Daleon
Wrong, nice blanket statement. Yea we all have to go off experience, and my experience tells me one persons problems with a brand system are not always another persons problems with the same brand, especially when the systems are different.

I know of a number of alienware systems between 2-3 years old that are still running very strong today. So saying a reinstall of his OS, especially from a clean cd, won't help speed his gaming back up is childish and really unhelpful. Yea throwing money at a problem can fix it, if you got the money to throw. But try and come up with actual help for people instead of always saying buy a new PC.

I did not completely toss out the idea of reinstalling a fresh OS.

What I said is that Alienware components have KNOWN compatability issues that Alienware IS aware of but does NOT like talking about.

They have an entire list of games that simply WON'T run on their machines. They view this as a simple "Well, nothing is perfect". Their customer support is trained to lead people around who question them on this issue. When they are done dicking you around to the point where your warranty expires, they ban you from the forums.

This isn't an isolated incident. Do you go to college? I'm sure you can find a number of people who have/had alienwares. The problems are not sparadic.

The only Alienware system i've EVER heard of that has ZERO problems is their laptops, but even they aren't worth the money.
Old 2004-05-26, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

ok ok, now were yelling at each other again.

and in a way your both right, i know peopl that have Alienwares and they have server them well for the past yer or two. But i also have heard many many people have problems. Nearly 50/50 i would say.

I have to say i don't like Alienware either, not because they have spotty compatibility but because of thier unethical marketing, and Greatly inflated prices.

Thogth i woudl have to say its not the hardware, but the drivers/Software they use on thier machines, they acctualy use reasonable quality stuff, its nowere near as bad as dell is. You even have the option of ordeing specific name brand parts like corsair memory and Sahphire ATI cards(thgoth hardly anyone does that i would assume)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-05-26, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Red October
Second Lieutenant

You know, all this talk about Memory has even got me a little paranoid. I got two 512's of PC 2700 Corsair Value Select (yes a cheapo...got a mortgage to take care of) and I'm beginning to think I have problems. Yet, I haven't had any problems except I do get an occassional lag here and there (mainly after the last patch, prior to that, no probs).
Old 2004-05-26, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

If you have the right speed grade for Your CPU you don't have to worry so much about Latencies. I have 2.5 cas stuff ther isn't that huge of a difference

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-05-26, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

I don't think we were yelling. Tek took my comment well, mine was defintely a little harsher. Just trying to remind everyone what this forum is for, mainly. Thats trying to help people and not just talk about how good or bad pc equipment is, which is usually more fun.

For OP'er, thats original poster not ForumOP :G, if your gaming was fast the day you got the system there is no reason why it can't be about that fast again, especially since its not that old. As suggested, reinstall your OS asap. The only hardware part I can think of that would only slow you down and not actually cause serious problems is your Hard Drive. So if it was a low life pos and its running like crap, scandisk and defrag it and if it continues toss it and get a new one. But this is after you reinstall xp.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum