So whats your oppion of Devs removing BFR Flight Varients? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Every man dies, not every man really lives.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-11-11, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

What if, while flying, shield regeneration is halted? You leave the earth with your shields in tact, but once you activate your jump jets, the generator is now giving power to the jump jets, putting no power into the shield generator. This would give pause to all Flight Variant pilots, if only for a little bit. The Flight variant pilots can always jump out of the battle, land out of the way, wait for their shields to charge up, then fly into the battle.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2004-11-11, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Sentrosi
What if, while flying, shield regeneration is halted? You leave the earth with your shields in tact, but once you activate your jump jets, the generator is now giving power to the jump jets, putting no power into the shield generator. This would give pause to all Flight Variant pilots, if only for a little bit. The Flight variant pilots can always jump out of the battle, land out of the way, wait for their shields to charge up, then fly into the battle.
Their shield regeneration is already pretty slow when not crouched. Halting regeneration altogether might be a bit much. But I agree in principle, something more should be done.
Old 2004-11-11, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
hazzer2007
Sergeant Major

the generator is now giving power to the jump jets, putting no power into the shield generator.
if you do that, you need to decrease the jump reload time, as the design is it stores it for use, no power is used during "jumping", so, diverting power from sheild needs to go to the jump pack, so you need to decrease the jump reload time, OR change the whole story and desing of the flight bfr, and i dont think the devs want to do that.

my view's as a PRO BFR (ANTI/ANTI BFR)

1. AA needs to lock onto flight bfr's and do alot of damage, I keep running into tr flight bfr's and i try to shoot them down in my sentinal using AA weaponry but no lock or effect. you cannot hit a flight bfr in mid air!!!

2. jump hight needs to be reduced but when free-falling (and free falling only as only sheilds and weapons are in use, and the jump pack storys power, then uses it, not uses power during flight), "jump" power needs to be reload faster for a sharp burn for a soft, safe landing (not landing at 150kph on friendly tanks, etc)

3. nice change of cutting jump pack when hit by a jammer, but where does the extra power go then? should go and help eather sheild or walk speed.

*4. when the bfr news came out, they were designed to repair them selfs and can take sevrile OS's before being destroyed. where did that idea go??????????????

5. sheild regen when crouched needs to be increased. at the moment, there is no point crouching as you only get a small increase in sheild, but you become a OS target, i raver stand then become a OS target. need to make the idea of crouching look better than getting OS'ed. like increase weapon speed, or have a charger like the jump pack for a fast dash (2 sec at 60kph) when entered run mode (but not fast enought to out run a OS, so it will only be used in combat attacking enermy, make it that you only go forword, can't turn?), that only charges when crouched???

6. TR AI is too powerfull over bfr's, i have been under attack from tr's using double AI on their bfr's. a bfr is a vch, so why do it have move power over a bfr than their AV?????

7. I am deslexic, look at my sig, so dont bother saying learn to spell properly
Old 2004-11-11, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Red October
Second Lieutenant

meh...there so big that you can still pretty easily hit them in the air. I really don't see any point in taking it away....then again, there isn't much point for them to have them other than to run away and get some shots at stuff behind cover.
Old 2004-11-11, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

The Dev team has certainly learned a lot from the week long BFR fest and subsequent testings on the Test server and since release. I see them as such a vital asset on the field now. If you have a phalanx of 3 BFRs assaulting a base while being supported by tanks, heavy infantry, and even a few airborne troops, you can really turn the tide of battle.

I, for one, no longer fear them or think that Planetside will eventually fall to the heards of MechWarrior wannabees. Sure there are going to be some asshats, but remember. The BFR cannot get into towers or bases to hack. It is still the sole job of the infantryman to carry the burden of successful base attacks and defense.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2004-11-11, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
TotalBiscuit
Cynical Brit

Originally Posted by Warborn
I just don't like how EVERY Vanu BFR is an Eclipse. I went to a base being attacked by the VS yesterday and it was like literally stirring up a damn bee's nest with the amount of stuff that flew up into the air upon my approach. So yeah, I wouldn't mind if the flight variants were removed, but I know it's not going to happen because of the wasted work that'd imply.

Losing shields is a bit too much. I think if they are simply made unable to leap so damn high up it wouldn't be much of a problem.
Why? Justification please.

My view is that such an advantage should be coupled with a substantial disadvantage. I believe that disabling the shield is the way to go, either that or disabling their weapons capability while in-flight.

TB.
Old 2004-11-11, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
GreyFlcn
Sergeant Major

TB, a "Heavy Tank" that moves really fast and can fly.

It's not just the jumpjet, it's also the ground speed, and turning

Overall for what a BFR is, the flight varients provide far too much mobility and encourage overuse of BFRs.

Remove the Flight Varients and you drastically cut the BFR hordes, while still maintaining the "heavy tank"
Old 2004-11-11, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by TotalBiscuit
Why? Justification please.

My view is that such an advantage should be coupled with a substantial disadvantage. I believe that disabling the shield is the way to go, either that or disabling their weapons capability while in-flight.

TB.
Nobody would ever use the jump mode if it disabled your shields. Sheilds are the life of any BFR. Once they're gone you get down to system damage, and system damage hurts a lot. If jumping into the air disabled shields, the jumping BFR would be a horrible wreck by the time it hits the ground if any other BFRs or what have you are nearby. The flight variants would have no role in most battles anymore, their one defining feature being akin to a suicide button, and their other capabilities being outmatched by the other BFR types.
Old 2004-11-12, 02:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
hazzer2007
Sergeant Major

Remove the Flight Varients and you drastically cut the BFR hordes
its still a new toy, let it settle down, bfr numbers will decrease!!!
Old 2004-11-12, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
TotalBiscuit
Cynical Brit

Nobody would ever use the jump mode if it disabled your shields. Sheilds are the life of any BFR. Once they're gone you get down to system damage, and system damage hurts a lot. If jumping into the air disabled shields, the jumping BFR would be a horrible wreck by the time it hits the ground if any other BFRs or what have you are nearby. The flight variants would have no role in most battles anymore, their one defining feature being akin to a suicide button, and their other capabilities being outmatched by the other BFR types.
You don't consider the ability to jump over walls and onto towers to be a significant advantage, an advantage worthy of risk? Risk that it does not really entail now?

There are many things which can batter down a BFR shield.. none of those are particularly effective against an airborne target. This has the effect of drastically overpowering the flight variant, despite claims that it is the weakest of the 3 (when in practice, rather than theory, it clearly isn't). If you can't hit it.. it won't die. Hitting the shield gen while flying is nigh on impossible. Hitting it with heavy rounds such as tank cannon and reaver rockets is highly tricky, all the while while this BFR is pounding your forces from the sky.

Yes.. I think BFRs should have to take a risk to go airborne. Yes they should take system damage and armour damage, just like any other vehicle, while using their crazy ability.

Greyflcn : They're not getting removed, try a different line of reasoning.

TB.
Old 2004-11-12, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

You don't consider the ability to jump over walls and onto towers to be a significant advantage, an advantage worthy of risk? Risk that it does not really entail now?

There are many things which can batter down a BFR shield.. none of those are particularly effective against an airborne target. This has the effect of drastically overpowering the flight variant, despite claims that it is the weakest of the 3 (when in practice, rather than theory, it clearly isn't). If you can't hit it.. it won't die. Hitting the shield gen while flying is nigh on impossible. Hitting it with heavy rounds such as tank cannon and reaver rockets is highly tricky, all the while while this BFR is pounding your forces from the sky.

Yes.. I think BFRs should have to take a risk to go airborne. Yes they should take system damage and armour damage, just like any other vehicle, while using their crazy ability.

TB.
It's excessive to remove the shields during flight. They are up there a long time, they're easy to hit with strikers and other infantry AV weapons, and particularily easy to hit with BFR AV weapons. You launch yourself into the air, making yourself a huge target, and you'll get hammered hard doing it, especially because people would see you flying and know their shots will do that much more damage.

The flight variants already cannot stand up to any other BFR. Their only advantage is that they can fly. This unfortunately makes them pretty hard to kill because they can fly so high and so far, making running away that much easier, but removing their shields during flight is very much excessive, and that's all there is to it.
Old 2004-11-12, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
TotalBiscuit
Cynical Brit

It's excessive to remove the shields during flight. They are up there a long time, they're easy to hit with strikers and other infantry AV weapons, and particularily easy to hit with BFR AV weapons. You launch yourself into the air, making yourself a huge target, and you'll get hammered hard doing it, especially because people would see you flying and know their shots will do that much more damage.

The flight variants already cannot stand up to any other BFR. Their only advantage is that they can fly. This unfortunately makes them pretty hard to kill because they can fly so high and so far, making running away that much easier, but removing their shields during flight is very much excessive, and that's all there is to it.
Ok then, if you want to play it that way..

Let's take another example, the VS MAX. When jumping, the VS makes itself a large target, especially to Strikers. A VS MAX can be a massive threat to the contents of a tower, or defenders on a wall. Should that have a shield that makes it next to invulnerable while in flight? Err no? That's it's disadvantage.

The mobility of the flight-variant BFR is already a massive advantage. It's one of the key disadvantages of a normal BFR and the flight-variant counters this. So why, on god's green earth should it maintain this advantage without a sizeable disadvantage in the process? I personally can't think of a good reason.. A BFR pilot with half a brain can utilize it's advantage to thrash other BFRs as well as (in my opinion what actually matters..) vehicles and infantry. The flight-variant nigh on negates what is supposed to be the primary counter to BFRs, infantry. You cannot hit the shield gen while it's in flight.. it's beyond the normal realms of difficulty.You cannot get inside it's shield because it's airborne.. so what exactly are you supposed to do? Not only that, but it can instagib you on landing..

Sorry what?

TB.
Old 2004-11-12, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
hazzer2007
Sergeant Major

You cannot hit the shield gen while it's in flight.. it's beyond the normal realms of difficulty.You cannot get inside it's shield because it's airborne.. so what exactly are you supposed to do? Not only that, but it can instagib you on landing..
need to get AA weapons to target flight bfr's. Why not make AA weapons on bfr's go through flight bfr's sheilds??? and deal large damage (50 direct hits, 2 full clips from double AA on a bfr), so once why are up and targeted, theres no stoping it as you can just drop to the ground, so flight bfr pilot's will have to think before jumping???

what do you think, solve the problem?
Old 2004-11-12, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Ok then, if you want to play it that way..

Let's take another example, the VS MAX. When jumping, the VS makes itself a large target, especially to Strikers. A VS MAX can be a massive threat to the contents of a tower, or defenders on a wall. Should that have a shield that makes it next to invulnerable while in flight? Err no? That's it's disadvantage.
MAXs by default do not have shields. I can't believe you're making this comparison. Its advantage over the standard MAX template is that it can fly. The NC MAX's advantage is that it has its shields. If you want to make an accurate analogy, what you're suggesting would be like the VS MAXs temporarily being reduced to 0 armor while in flight.

The mobility of the flight-variant BFR is already a massive advantage. It's one of the key disadvantages of a normal BFR and the flight-variant counters this. So why, on god's green earth should it maintain this advantage without a sizeable disadvantage in the process? I personally can't think of a good reason.. A BFR pilot with half a brain can utilize it's advantage to thrash other BFRs as well as (in my opinion what actually matters..) vehicles and infantry. The flight-variant nigh on negates what is supposed to be the primary counter to BFRs, infantry. You cannot hit the shield gen while it's in flight.. it's beyond the normal realms of difficulty.You cannot get inside it's shield because it's airborne.. so what exactly are you supposed to do? Not only that, but it can instagib you on landing..
The flight BFRs already have disadvantages. Slower recharging shields, lower hull absorption, longer "beat down" timer for their shields. The reason they're so popular isn't because they're offensive powerhouses and can stand toe to toe with anything, it's because they're really easy to run away with, and they can killwhore infantry on towers and bases fairly easily.

As much as I disdain the flight variants, being a Juggernaut pilot myself, they are flimsy as is, and I can't imagine who would bother with them if flying meant you'd get smashed up and your systems would be ruined by the time you hit the ground. Although, I do think that anti-air weapons targeting them while they fly might be good. I hate it when the fly away just before I can kill them. Would be nice if constantly taking flight meant they had to suffer the wrath of AA fire too.

Also, insta-gib if they land on you? Who has ever been slow enough to not move out of the way when a flight BFR is flying at you? The whole death from above thing is a novelty at best, at least until people find some way to do it reliably.
Old 2004-11-12, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Sabinius
First Sergeant

Flight in the bfrs is really awsome, and I wouldnt like to see it get removed
but it does recharge REALLY REALLY FAST.
Maybe they could make it charge as fast as the vs max? and maybe make it a bit slower?
And when did this remove the bfr flight thingy start?

If you push hard enough, it'll fit.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion