PlanetSideStats.INFO to Close on/after March 8th - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hack the planet!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2006-03-08, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Hamma
PSU Admin

Hey if you don't care about earning the respect of your peers redirect to whatever the hell you want to redirect to just don't expect people to be happy about it. Like it or not - you are in a position of trust. Apparently the internet has fogged this perception of reality most people had.

It's like if one day I decided to change all images people linked externally from PSU to goatse - people would not be happy. People would feel offended, and lose respect. But if you're just bailing to play another game I guess it really doesen't matter anyway.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2006-03-08 at 06:10 PM.
Old 2006-03-08, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
MOAB
Private

Originally Posted by Hamma
It's like if one day I decided to change all images people linked externally from PSU to goatse - people would not be happy. People would feel offended, and lose respect. But if you're just bailing to play another game I guess it really doesen't matter anyway.
BTW rev - lol

Hamma,

You of all people know what it takes to run a site like pss.info or PSU. One doesn't 'on a whim' bail out to play another game. I did what I did for a reason and I can absolutely say it had it's intended effect. That intention was not to piss off any players, it was to get the square attention of upper management at SOE.

Smed has had my contact info for a good long time -- and I emailed him a month ago warning that I would be doing exactly this. (Now I have to admit the doughnuts thing was a great backdrop, but for the most part it's the same deal.) In fact I sent him a version of the message I posted on PSS.INFO back a month ago. All I asked was a firm committal and a timeline from SOE to do the XML feeds they had been talkting to me (and others) about doing.

He chose not to respond. None of this should be a surprise to upper management at SOE. I admit I didn't warn Zatozia or Enrico because this is not a battle for them to wage -- they'll just get crushed.

There's one other difference I want to point out between running PSU and PSS.INFO or PSS.NET or WernerStats or any other stat site that's come and gone. You (probibly - feel free to correct me) run this site for the community by the community. You don't really need SOE to feed you stuff - the community can feed ideas, and news and stories to some degree. You more or less report on what the devs say and do -- which they do in the regular course of running the game.

PSS.INFO/net/etc however is dependant on numbers. Numbers from the game engine exposed (automatically more or less) by myplanetside. Without those numbers, our sites are gone, poof, Casper... On the other hand if Enrico takes a week vacation, you can keep running. (Mabye with a few less news posts.) I pulled multi-gigabytes/day off the myplanetside server, parsed and analyzed the data. And the problem with running stats when you can't 'align' the data is -- they're not that good. We want to be able to rely on the nubmer we get. We want to get all the characters, all the outfits, the merits, and the kill stats, and anything we can get our hands on -- raw data. Why? Because you can't do meaningful stats without raw data.

Our sites were already gimped by this limitation from the get-go. For awhile even SOE was saying our sites were better then their own! If that's not enough reason to help us do this right, what is? Just as you I'm sure want to improve PSU - I wanted to improve my stats site, but was hamstrung by the lack of information from SOE.

Bottom line. People had a week to change/remove their sigs. There were posts here, the Syndicate, and the official forums (Rev posted it - donno if its been restored from this AM's 'glitch' tho), saying the site was closing. You're right - they didn't say the sigs would be redirected. If you don't agree with the message, then fine, that's your opinion, you could have removed the sig anytime in the last week. Lastly - Smed knew about this about a month ago, including the sig part.

Oh, one more thing. If I was so wrong in my assessment, and opinion, why not debunk it and prove me wrong? Yet "www.planetsidestats.info" is now in the bad word filter on the official forums.... Humm, wonder why.... Truth hurts.
Old 2006-03-09, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Hamma
PSU Admin

While I agree with some of your points I still don't think it was cool to change everyone sig to something like you did.

Old 2006-03-09, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Hamma
It's like if one day I decided to change all images people linked externally from PSU to goatse - people would not be happy. People would feel offended, and lose respect.
I would splooge and make you buy me new pants.
Old 2006-03-09, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by 321
I would splooge and make you buy me new pants.
You have to hit puberty first there, Pee-Wee.
Old 2006-03-09, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

Ouch - low blow.. in more ways than one.

Old 2006-03-10, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Hamma, Hamma... tsk tsk.

You know low-blows don't hurt when you've got no nuts.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion