Planetside 2 Weapon looting!!! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Its best with whipped cream.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-02-14, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
DeathHaze
Private

Re: Planetside 2 Weapon looting!!!

I like picking up other weapons to test them basically. If I like it, and it's gonna take me some time to unlock, I now have a personal goal! Picking up enemy weapons in this game.......... hmmmm.... I'm not a vet, so I don't really have a right to an opinion on that. I know sticking to your faction is a big part of the game, so picking up a different faction's gun, finding out you LOVE it, and never being able to use it at will without jumping ship may be a form of torture to some people haha.

TL;DR, For faction pickups, Against enemy faction pickups.
Old 2012-02-14, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
I heard that there no weapon looting in ps2 well I fould a picture

The TR on the far left with a NC weapon
Higgles has already addressed that particular picture.

He said that the Devs put in whatever weapons they want, and that no looting is still the law of the land no matter what you see in the screenie.
Old 2012-02-14, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

They aren't doing weapon looting and hacking for the sake of balance.
Old 2012-02-14, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by DeathHaze View Post
I like picking up other weapons to test them basically. If I like it, and it's gonna take me some time to unlock, I now have a personal goal! Picking up enemy weapons in this game.......... hmmmm.... I'm not a vet, so I don't really have a right to an opinion on that. I know sticking to your faction is a big part of the game, so picking up a different faction's gun, finding out you LOVE it, and never being able to use it at will without jumping ship may be a form of torture to some people haha.

For me, picking up enemy weaponry in PS1 wasn't about trying out another faction's weapons - I did that during the first few months I played the game. It was about showing my superiority over my enemies. Each faction has a different gameplay style, and each class has its own primary means of attacking a person. Although there weren't any "classes" is PS1, most people had very similar loadouts for similar situations, so the role-specific stuff was very similar, but we would maybe pick different weapons to achieve the same goal. Killing an enemy with a JH, looting his lasher and killing him again with his own lasher, to me at least, was a way of saying "That's right. I OWN your ass. In whatever fruity flavor it comes."

EDIT: Plus, until the later years when they introduced the rule of "Lock both come conts of an empire and get their vehicles bullshit", it was priceless to see the reaction on an enemy's tactics if you showed up on the field with a magrider or a prowler, or if you start shooting at them with an MCG or a lasher as the NC. People tend to get disoriented, and it can give you that one-second advantage. Or in the case of vehicles, they'd typically concentrate fire to try to destroy the lost magrider or prowler, completely ignoring the other 10 vannies we'd have next to it.

Also, with unique weapon sounds, having your enemy's weapon can give you a better element of surprise. Other enemies in the base you're trying to sneak into are less likely to be alarmed if they hear their weapons fire rather than an opposing faction's. They'd have to be watching the kill-spam in order to know that an enemy is in the base, which isn't a common thing to do.

So I know that we probably won't see weapon/vehicle looting at launch, but I hope they do incorporate it into the game in the post-launch updates. Those are fun tactics, and I'll miss that from PS1.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2012-02-14 at 09:17 AM.
Old 2012-02-14, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
DeathHaze
Private

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post

Also, with unique weapon sounds, having your enemy's weapon can give you a better element of surprise.
That's how friendly fire happens in real life hahahahaha. I take it there is none in ps1 or the friendlies are clearly labeled? (I only ever subbed for one month about a year ago, so I can'r remember lol All i know is I'm concidereing re-subbing)
Old 2012-02-14, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Ailos
Contributor
Major

That's how friendly fire happens in real life hahahahaha. I take it there is none in ps1 or the friendlies are clearly labeled? (I only ever subbed for one month about a year ago, so I can'r remember lol All i know is I'm concidereing re-subbing)
There is friendly fire, but the friendlies always have green names floating above them, so it's not exactly hard to identify them.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-02-14, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Graywolves
General

I don't think the balance issue is a Heavy Assualt TR swapping his Chaingun for a Jackhammer or Lasher.

But rather a light assault picking up an Anti-vehicular weapon so that he can jumpjet above a hill and fire at a tank before falling back into cover or grabbing a sniper rifle and jumpjetting somewhere only other Light Assualts can go.
Old 2012-02-14, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

It wouldn't be hard to set it so you can only loot weapons you can use. I'm not sure what I'll miss more, looting the other empires weapons or vehicle hacking, but both suck that they are gone
Old 2012-02-14, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

The quick way to deal with that is to simply loot classes, so you pick up the whole kit, not just the gun.

But then you quickly get problems like "So now we have to change what model he's using to reflect the class change"

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-02-14, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I guess maybe they want to keep each empire as distinct as possible and make even their weapons out of reach when playing a separate empire. Seems reasonable to me. I kind of like spooky laserguns being a weird and mysterious thing that you can't use at all unless you're a VS character.
Old 2012-02-14, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Neksar
Corporal

So... anyone else laughing at this whole thread?

It's not what you think, I swear! I'm all for looting and such, though it'd have to be either entire kits (armor included) or only weapons one could use within their armor set. It's just... A thread about looting. Started by Magpie. The joke writes itself.

No offense intended, I just thought it was an amusing coincidence.
Old 2012-02-14, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
ThGlump
Captain

I highly doubt we will be able to pick friendly kits. It make kinda sense in BF but in PS kit means whole armor. So you start as a infil, pick up rexo, and then MAX? I dont think so.
But they talked about random drops, so we will see what that mean (ammo?)
Old 2012-02-14, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
The quick way to deal with that is to simply loot classes, so you pick up the whole kit, not just the gun.

But then you quickly get problems like "So now we have to change what model he's using to reflect the class change"
That's simple. In planetside, you could loot a chaingun and even place it in the equipped slot regardless of your certs. But if you tried to draw the weapon for use, it'd stay put and you get an error message that you can't use it.

In the mechanics of PS2, that could be so that you loot the whole kit, but you can only use those parts of it that are compatible with your armor. I.e. if as a light assault you pick up a rocket launcher from a dead engineer, you'd be unable to use anything except the sidearm pistol or the knife until you've visited an equipment terminal and swapped the rest of your kit to engineering. Similarly, a heavy assault would be able to loot the light assault's corpse, but you could only use the weapons, since the thrusters are part of the actual armor, which you can't put on.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-02-14, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by DOUBLEXBAUGH View Post
Its a 1 time buy with resources to unlock it, after that its free to grab from a term or spawn in with. Higby said it last AGN.

Doh, I forgot about that! My bad.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions. Doesn't mean we'll listen to them tho. j/k

Seriously though PS1 had a pretty good system where you had permanent lockers where you could store looted weapons for later use. Even in later game sessions. And once you put that weapon in a locker, you could then access it from any other locker in the game, including every tower and base in existence. Most people had lockers stuffed full with looted enemy weapons (lockers could hold 25-30 weapons, depending on the size).

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
I highly doubt we will be able to pick friendly kits. It make kinda sense in BF but in PS kit means whole armor. So you start as a infil, pick up rexo, and then MAX? I dont think so.
But they talked about random drops, so we will see what that mean (ammo?)
I don't see why an armour change wouldn't be doable. Maybe if it's a different armour class it could take several seconds to switch as you don the new armour.
Old 2012-02-14, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
polywomple
Staff Sergeant

why not just simple weapon swapping from fallen weapons akin to halo, where eligible? (you couldn't pick up a MCG as light assault so no command prompt to swap weapons would come up) Not even kits or anything. It would satisfy my craving for enemy weapons but not make things complicated
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion