PlanetSide 2 and Australians 2 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Just add water for instant fun!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-07, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Madlaps
Corporal

Re: PlanetSide 2 and Australians 2

PS1 had a different netcode (mainly client-side) which allowed you to hit things that you could see on your screen, regardless of where they were on their own screens to some extent. That is why you could hit things with 250+ things with ease - it's also what made the game susceptible to boosting CPU speeds and hacking (ever see those guys fly across the screen or dump a full clip of MCG bullets in a fraction of a second?)

PS2 won't be the same, but obviously we'll make do - it is a disadvantage though, which ever way you look at it.

The best thing we can do is advertise it within Australia and get as many people down here to sign up for Beta, play and have a voice as possible so that it gives Sony a reason to put some effort into making a partnership or throwing some money at a overpriced server down here.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

No intention of playing on a Oceanic server located in AU with what will most likely be a piss poor experience due to lack of numbers.

USWest if possible for that 24/7 experience and a population to support it.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
KALU
Master Sergeant

Being an Australian and a PS1 9 year Vet even if we do get Oceanic servers I will end of on a U.S west coast one because of the friendships and long term outfit (SMF) I have been in for the same amount of time.

I dealt with +150 pings and it was playable - I will end up doing this again to play with the friends i have made of the years from the original....

This being said it would be nice for the other players in the community to have the option of a Oceanic server.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SKYeXile
Major General

BF3 and COD4 are playable on american servers...americans will tell you otherwise, but thats because they're bad and not used to playing with a high ping.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-07, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
DEA
Corporal

US West no questions asked
Old 2012-06-07, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Synapse
First Sergeant

Wouldnt timezoning your servers defeat the purpose? You want an always on global war. Not a "3 hours every evening global war"

That said, i think you aussies should be organized and aware of your value to outfits. I spent a lot of time specifically recruiting active australians (and kiwis) in eve online because they could keep a presence up in timezones no one else could touch. When we were contesting chinese farmers for resources it was important that we always had a presence.

You guys will have unique opportunities for stealth and special forces missions, where a small group of people can have a big impact because there aren't proportionally as many people to stand against you as the other timezones have.

I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of critical base defences were resolved by who had the most australians online to make that final push so the europeans could consolidate on the new base.

Edit: So go vanu, and maybe i'll have job for you
Old 2012-06-07, 10:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

well no one would play on Oceanic servers except Aussies and Kiwis, so unless there are like 6000+ players, it probably wouldn't be worth it for either SOE or the players.
Old 2012-06-07, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
Wouldnt timezoning your servers defeat the purpose? You want an always on global war. Not a "3 hours every evening global war"

That said, i think you aussies should be organized and aware of your value to outfits. I spent a lot of time specifically recruiting active australians (and kiwis) in eve online because they could keep a presence up in timezones no one else could touch. When we were contesting chinese farmers for resources it was important that we always had a presence.

You guys will have unique opportunities for stealth and special forces missions, where a small group of people can have a big impact because there aren't proportionally as many people to stand against you as the other timezones have.

I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of critical base defences were resolved by who had the most australians online to make that final push so the europeans could consolidate on the new base.

there would be little point having an Oceanic flagged server, it would have to be AU hosted or bust. But even if it was AU hoasted, id still very much consider rolling on a US server. I cant see myself playing PS2 with anybody but FC.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-07, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
KALU
Master Sergeant

Well said and good point man!
Old 2012-06-07, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
windlord
Corporal

Well I remember it being said that the game was being crunched on the server and client side.

So my hope is that that fact will ameliorate our ping concerns... at least a little bit.

I'm going to have a crack at it regardless. I remember the bad old ping days. My theory is that we'll just have to be better or more clever at playing to make up for it.

And hopefully.... hopefully the National Broadband might help as well... perhaps. If we see it and they don't stuff it up... which wouldn't surprise me....

in other news. Did you know that Australia is actually on top of the world? Everyone else has been wrong all along. I suggest you turn all your maps upside down today!

Btw Synapse I was planning on going Vanu, I'm in Melbourne so remember to throw me an invite.

Last edited by windlord; 2012-06-07 at 10:55 PM.
Old 2012-06-07, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Brandy
Private

I actually hope we DONT have Oceanic servers, because they usually get filled with asians who wont speak any english, making teamwork nigh impossible.
Old 2012-06-07, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Daffan
Corporal

Misc Info

As many others have said, Planetside 1 was fine to play with the ping from Australia. So it seemed when I played it, but Planetside 2 is shaping up to be a much faster paced game ^ So that too is something to think about.
Old 2012-06-08, 12:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Aussies/Kiwis in MMO's like EVE Online are defiantly a sought after thing, because we're an English speaking country in a non-mainsteam timezone.

But it will come down to how accepting PS2's netcode is.

PS1's CSHD net code style was PERFECT for us. If we shot something, it was shot.
Our movement was client side, so there was no rubber banding.
Everything ran smoothly.

If it feels like PS1's netcode, then everything will be hunky dory. If not... then it's going to be very unlikely it'll take off in Aus.
Old 2012-06-08, 12:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Netcode is said to be like bf3, so its client/serverside hybrid, so hitting something should not be a problem, obviously planetside works okay 200 ping, but with reduced TTK, there is a concern of been unable to react fast enough. Also our hit packets getting to the sever later than Americans is a pain, in zergs you will find you don't often get damage done/killing blow.

As always though, we wont be on a even playing field, but i don't think it will be too bad.
Getting the killing blow won't matter. The game keeps track of every bit of dmg you do. It doesn't matter if you hit them first or last you'll get xp for assisting if you don't get the kill shot.
Old 2012-06-08, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
If SOE doesn't have any existing server infrastructure thereabouts, I doubt they will create it for PlanetSide 2, at least not for launch.

Don't get me wrong - I want everyone to experience what I believe to be the upcoming best game evar.

If PS2 proves to be wildly popular, they may (and should) invest in servers in Australia. While you can play classic slow MMOs with friends on the other side of an ocean, which may explain the lack of said servers nowadays, this won't be possible with PS2. Fingers crossed, I guess...
I don't want an Australian server. I want to play with my friends in the USA and Europe. I want everyone on one server spread across multiple conts. This isn't a 64x64 person map that can be placed on a windows or linux server with 32 gig of ram.

The only time I have an issue is when my ping is over 500 and then mostly only when it is over 1000 and that is a problem more with doors and terminals and not combat. Even then the ping problem is normally something at my end.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion