Reserve Character and Outfit names - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: May contain nuts.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-21, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
The Kush
Captain

Re: Reserve Character and Outfit names

I'm a vet since 2004 and I don't think name reserves are fair. New game, clean start.
Old 2012-06-21, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
PredatorFour
Major

Why does it have to be active members of Planetside?? Alot of my outfit arent subbed right now but played the game for years. I know quite a few who subbed last year because they said they would get early beta access. Thats alot of money to get that, especially when you can buy a magazine and get in.

I think the option should be open to veteren players past or present.

If Higby stays true to his word then all will be well

Last edited by PredatorFour; 2012-06-21 at 10:26 AM.
Old 2012-06-21, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Just do what MWO is doing, let people reserve their name on the site, first come first serve. Although letting Vets do it first wouldn't be out of the question.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-06-21, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
PredatorFour
Major

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
I can see the problem is we have no idea how to define a "vet". Some guy played 6 months in 2003 wants his name reserved and thinks he is a vet. Is that valid? Not for me to say but that is the crux of the issue for a lot of folks.
Yeh i agree, maybe certain amount of outfit points ? or number of years whilst subbed ??
Old 2012-06-21, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Well I played the game in 2004 for only a couple of months, and have since then been on deployment up 'till 2009 where I started again, with only a few short weeks here and there I believe while they had that Reserves-thingy going. I can safely say that I would have played PS for all those years if I didn't had job that made it impossible. I think there are many that are in sort of the same situation and I feel it'd be pretty lame if we suddenly didn't count as vet's because of it.

Last edited by Sabot; 2012-06-21 at 10:48 AM.
Old 2012-06-21, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

I can see the problem is we have no idea how to define a "vet". Some guy played 6 months in 2003 wants his name reserved and thinks he is a vet. Is that valid? Not for me to say but that is the crux of the issue for a lot of folks.
They had a limit on days since last activity when we had the server merges.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-06-21, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
aceshigh
Private

Misc Info

What about the guy that played from the beginning and left after the surge nerf or left after BFRs. Those are vets in my book.
Old 2012-06-21, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Really? I actually didn't think it would be this hard to define. In my eyes, anyone who actually bought the game deserves to be called a Vet, even if they did it a few weeks ago. You forked out the money, you should get some benefits.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-06-21, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

I don't see the problem... if they want to give us a chance to reserve a (read: one) name they tell us we can do that... first come first serve. And if vets gets a head start on that they just enable the feature on accounts that are considered vets a couple of days or a week earlier than on accounts with no prior PS1 subscription.

The only problem is possibly the fact that SOE will handle accounts in NA, and Pro7 in the EU. But in that case it's up to Pro7 if they want to give EU players that chance. At least that is how I understand it.

Thank you for bringing this up and thank you for your service to your country. We kind of forget sometimes that there have been wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for many years now. You are 2 vets in 1 and again thanks for bringing this up!
Thank you I just wanted to point out that there can be many reasons for not having had a subscription active since the game was released.

Last edited by Sabot; 2012-06-21 at 11:13 AM.
Old 2012-06-21, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

You ever get this feeling we are talking to ourselves and SOE has already decided 90% of the subject matter on these forums and are just sitting back laughing at us? Man I do. Feel like I am pissing in the wind of 1000 hurricanes sometimes.
No, we don't.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-21, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
kaffis
Contributor
Major

I'm not overly worked up about it. I can't help but think that there might be hissyfits thrown when people from duplicate servers discover they're not special, unique snowflakes... but then, that's what this is (usually -- I'll concede that there are rare scenarios where name "stealing" is motivated by griefing a player you know of, or trying to impersonate them, rather than a simple case of more than one person ripping off a derivative name) about, anyways, isn't it?
Old 2012-06-21, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Redshift
Major

I've always assumed they'll just transfer the character names form the PS1 accounts into PS2 and give us a week or so to claim them before they go back into general availability
Old 2012-06-21, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
I'm not overly worked up about it. I can't help but think that there might be hissyfits thrown when people from duplicate servers discover they're not special, unique snowflakes... but then, that's what this is
I think it's more that this board is full of PS1 vets, who know eachother and had reputations based off of our PS1 names which we'd like to carry over into PS2
Old 2012-06-21, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
MCYRook
Staff Sergeant

Personally, some dude has "my" actual name in PS 1. He may have played the game thirty or eighty times less than me, but he got there first. So chances are, I might not even get "my" name even though literally everyone knows me as Rook. Meh.
Old 2012-06-21, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

We can go that route is fine by me. Ok now so details. Many accounts have more than one char name. Also how does a returning user refer to his old account name to obtain his chars? Would he/she be required to use the same station account name? Oh wait. Perhaps they simply need to reserve station accounts and all chars name associated with them? But that has got to be a shit ton of names. Not a lot of room for new guys names.
First off, from the interviews and stuff that I've seen, I always got the impression there would be 1(singular) character per account and any more would have to be new accounts(since it's F2P). And of course they would definitely go by Station accounts to determine if you've already bought PS1, since you had to use a Station Account to sign up for PS2 Beta. I assume they're just going to send an E-Mail to all former and current PS1 players saying you can now reserve names, and you just have to reserve your name, one name for your current account, that will be your character when the game is released.

And just giving out Vet status to anyone who actually purchased the game would solve all the problems for guys like Sabot. Simple=Better, no need to make it a complicated process.

-Douglas Adams
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion