Do you think you're going to be sentimental about one particular hex/base/area? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Go away.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-14, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Troscus
Corporal

Re: Do you think you're going to be sentimental about one particular hex/base/area?

Probably the first base I successfully defend. Sure, taking a base is pretty special, but you might as well develop feelings for that action figure you took from your younger brother/cousin that one time.

Defending something just has more meaning, at least to me, so if I manage to defend a base time and time again, I might get pretty possessive if it ever gets attacked.
Old 2012-06-14, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Khrakhan
Corporal

Re: Do you think you're going to be sentimental about one particular hex/base/area?

What?! They attacked that base!? I had all those beer cans stacked just right! They better not take that singing fish off the walls!
Old 2012-06-14, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I like Sobek on Solsar... no idea why.

Old 2012-06-14, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Pillar of Armor
Sergeant

I wasn't attached to any facilities, but I was attached to bridges. The bridge between Anguta and Sedna on Ceryshen always had my favorite battles. My first battle there defined the game for me.
Old 2012-06-14, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by RandomNPC View Post
I feel like when we get playing, if I find one particular area I'm keen of or perhaps the first significant area I assist in capturing, I'm going to end up spending a lot of time around that base.

Whether it be hanging around there when I'm taking a break from the front lines, defending it with extra fervor because I don't want the stupid monkeys running around MY spot, or backdooring it in hopes I can capture it for a few minutes before the cavalry comes, I can definitely see myself growing attached to some random hex.

Tell me I'm not alone in this xD
Did you play PS1?

While some people love or loathe certain areas most people go where the fight is. I've been known to take a break and check for back hackers and I have my favourite places to fight. But it gets really boring if the fight is somewhere else or if you hack something only to be hunted down by an elite player of an opposing faction.

Defending or capturing places by yourself...we'll have to see how effective that strategy will be.

Personally I like the different situations and locations battles move through.
Old 2012-06-14, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I think Zurvian Amp Station will be one of those special places.

It's where the devs have clearly done a lot of testing, we saw it in many screenshots over the months, in the GDC videos, and it's the E3 demo. I can easily see people viewing that facility as a piece of PS2 history and feeling some pride in holding it.
Agreed!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-14, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Mirax
Private

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
The battle in PlanetSide that was this for me was an epic bridge battle near the end of beta between... Shango and Pamba. I'm pretty sure it raged for 2 or 3 hours before the servers went down for the last time, and I think it probably stretched at least half a kilometer down the coast both ways on either side of the bridge.
I was there for that!!! that battle still makes me smile to this day. 300ish people in open ground fighting over a bridge, dozens of infantry, tanks, and air vehicles duking it out.... no game has ever come close or touched this memory since. (I think I'll take it to my grave!)
Old 2012-06-14, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

I like how the specific regions are named, I'm pretty sure I saw Rust Mesa in one of the videos as the name of a hex.

That will definitely help with the attachment thing.

If you've held Rest Mesa against several attacks you're absolutely going to grow attached to it, especially since the region has a name instead of just being "obscure bridge between these two bases".
Old 2012-06-14, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Johari
Staff Sergeant

All of Amerish particularly the southern portion. Fond memories especially of NW Kyoi air tower. I got BR 20 there when that was the highest you could go.

No doubt my outfit and I will find a special little area that we'll defend religiously.
Old 2012-06-14, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
RandomNPC
Corporal

Originally Posted by WNxThentar View Post
Did you play PS1?

While some people love or loathe certain areas most people go where the fight is. I've been known to take a break and check for back hackers and I have my favourite places to fight. But it gets really boring if the fight is somewhere else or if you hack something only to be hunted down by an elite player of an opposing faction.

Defending or capturing places by yourself...we'll have to see how effective that strategy will be.

Personally I like the different situations and locations battles move through.
I know most people go where the fight is, but taking a break and cruising around your favorite area in your favorite vehicle isn't going to be as dull as in PS1.

Also who cares if it's an effective strategy? That base is mine and I don't want the stupid monkey empires to touch my stuff =[ if I can grab it from them for a minute before I get slaughtered then I'll be happy. And then go back to fighting the war as per usual.

I'm not going to dedicate my entire time to one hex, but I'm probably going to dedicate some of my downtime to it. Find a nice place to practice flying or driving, etc.
Old 2012-06-14, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Mirax View Post
I was there for that!!! that battle still makes me smile to this day. 300ish people in open ground fighting over a bridge, dozens of infantry, tanks, and air vehicles duking it out.... no game has ever come close or touched this memory since. (I think I'll take it to my grave!)

Pamba/Shango-Bridge-end-of-beta-five! Err, wait. Which side were you fighting for?

*glares suspiciously*

Seriously, though, this kind of shared memory among strangers and the instant kinship I want to feel for you (hint: answer NC... ) is testament to why PlanetSide will always have a spot in gaming history as an amazing achievement.

Last edited by kaffis; 2012-06-14 at 10:23 PM.
Old 2012-06-14, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Yenni
Corporal

I never had a favorite place per se.

But there will of course be locations you associtate with the infamous, "planetside moments."

But what do I know.
Old 2012-06-14, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Khrakhan
Corporal

I'm gonna find my favorite cactus and defend it....hopefully the cactus's neutrality will be persuaded to avoid the VS
Old 2012-06-15, 12:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
FPClark
Staff Sergeant

Im sure if I see any hex that is next to an enemy foothold its gonna be my favorite ;P
Old 2012-06-15, 01:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Oshur v1. *sniff*
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion