Dont think the HA should be able to fly. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The all natural supplement
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-16, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: Dont think the HA should be able to fly.

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I don't understand why people would want to be anything other than an engineer in vehicles. How else do you repair them after taking damage? It just makes me use the vehicle as a disposable 1 use item, but if i am an engineer then i will want to take care of it. So i think only LA or Engineers fly aircraft. Because why else would you be flying?
Hotdrop - The use of an aircraft in order to fly over a facility/tower and eject and land on your desired location. The name also has 2 specific subnames: Galdrop - A hotdrop perfomed in group from a Galaxy, and Mozziedrop - used to great effect by re-secure teams due to the speed and individual control a single aircraft provides over a galaxy. Despite the ES fighters presented in, the term will still exist, though it will become faction specific, imo.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-16, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

Let the HA fly, unless they take the ejection seat option they will make a satisfying splat when they get shot down (bail or no bail) and won't have the ability to land and repair like an engineer would.

Agreed, players will still use the ES fighters to drop on targets but they will have to pay for the privelage due to the resource cost.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-06-16 at 08:18 PM.
Old 2012-06-16, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Yes, the resource cost + timer? will be the other thing. You'll see far fewer ineffective solo droppers (and most of them were) and more intentional, organized air taxi drops of the old style.
Old 2012-06-16, 08:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Checowsky
Corporal

If its OP enough it'll be sorted in beta, however I think dropping on top will be less of an issue anyways, in PS1 agiles had a warp advantage and lag to keep them alive, there will be a lot less of that in PS2 so dropping in a RExo won't be a huge advantage.

Old 2012-06-16, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Checowsky View Post
If its OP enough it'll be sorted in beta, however I think dropping on top will be less of an issue anyways, in PS1 agiles had a warp advantage and lag to keep them alive, there will be a lot less of that in PS2 so dropping in a RExo won't be a huge advantage.
I'm fairly sure they won't make the netcode as bad as it was in PS1 intentionally, so I don't think that lag/warping could ever be a problem in the first place.
Old 2012-06-16, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
Clerg just confirmed that all classes (not the MAX) can fly aircraft. this open up the ability for engineers to repair their own aircraft and get back in the air quickly like in PS1. however the issue i see is that it allows HA to be able to bail from aircraft and attack with their AV. it also allows HA to get ontop of towers without needing teamwork. i think they should remove HA from the pool of classes that can fly aircraft. Wondering what the PSU community thinks.

You mean something epic like this i have no problem with that its required skills
Old 2012-06-16, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Purple
Sergeant Major

Quick thing to clear up. when i say get onto of towers i mean they will land on the landing pads on the towers.
Old 2012-06-16, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
ParisTeta
Sergeant

Funny Video, excellent Music, totaly fitting.

I understand the concern, the question is, is HA really like EXO in PS1? Is the difference between exo and agi as big as in light/medic/eng vs HA?

Next, Vehicle were pretty disposal in PS1, they try that this is not the case in PS2.

That is something Beta test will show, if one of this points or both are answered with yes, we could have a major concern here, if both are answered no, then it won`t proably a problem, Beta will tell.
Old 2012-06-16, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by ParisTeta View Post
Funny Video, excellent Music, totaly fitting.

I understand the concern, the question is, is HA really like EXO in PS1? Is the difference between exo and agi as big as in light/medic/eng vs HA?

Next, Vehicle were pretty disposal in PS1, they try that this is not the case in PS2.

That is something Beta test will show, if one of this points or both are answered with yes, we could have a major concern here, if both are answered no, then it won`t proably a problem, Beta will tell.
Heavy assault in PS2 can take pounding with its personal shield. but when its like the only mobile AV class and theres gonna be defenders in MAX's i dont see the problem.

This crap just steams from the terrible players in PS1, they believe that an agile bailing on a tower with HA and 1 deci is overpowered because it somehow has an advantage over rexo and MAX defenders, these people are idiots.

Also to bail as anything else bar light assault you loose a fair bit of offensive ability been able to track targets, not to mention you're wasting resources.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-16, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Xyntech
Brigadier General

My initial gut reaction is that I'd prefer HA not to be able to fly aircraft, but I think that's just PS1 bias. In PS1, Rexo was a straight upgrade over Agile in most situations, especially after the surgile nerfing and rexo buffing. However in PS2, there are clear advantages and disadvantages to using each armor (class), so HA being pilots should be fine.

HA's AV weapons aren't the ultimate AA weapon, so it won't be too big a deal for dogfights, and there are plenty of reasons to take LA or Engi over HA, so I don't think it will be some kind of always used pilot class. It will probably be used for piloting as often as something like Infiltrators.

Agile was pretty much the pilot class in PS1, because post surgile, there was very little good reason to run agile other than the fact that it was the heaviest armor you could drive some vehicles with. I'm glad they added jet packs to make lighter armor actually have a valuable reason to be used in many situations in PS2.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-06-16 at 08:54 PM.
Old 2012-06-16, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

I won't be Light Assault in an aircraft, I'll either be whatever class fits my mood at the time, but I will pretty much never be playing Light Assault. If my plane is going down I'll figure it out without a jetpack.
Old 2012-06-16, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Only beta will tell.

But I do hold onto the PS1 pilot/driver restriction based on armor type. In PS1 there were basically only two reasons to wear medium armor - be a pilot/driver or be an agile heavy weapons guy.

The class system in PS2 throws that out the window, so we'll see. But I don't like the idea of heavy assault being able to hot drop themselves anywhere. That idea strikes me as very wrong.
Old 2012-06-16, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

IIRC it looked like the AV infantry weapons were far less effective during E3 than the AV vehicle or aircraft weapons... so if a heavy wanted to blow up a vehicle or airplane, he'd be better off using an airplane to do it, and only ejecting if his vehicle were badly damaged.

I really don't see the problem, but that's probably because I'm reserving judgement until I can actually play the beta and get a feel for what is more or less powerful. (Of course, if certifying is slow, e.g. at intended-for-release speed, it might not be feasible to try everything to compare lethality)

(I too would expect mainly engineers to pilot fighters, and possibly the larger planes as well. I could see using a light assault if you lacked ejection seats or the like, but then you lose out on the ability to set down and repair (assuming vehicles don't regenerate HP), unless you have an engineer with you, but he'd probably have the same problem with the lack of ejection seats, so...)

Last edited by Trafalgar; 2012-06-16 at 09:08 PM.
Old 2012-06-16, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
I won't be Light Assault in an aircraft, I'll either be whatever class fits my mood at the time, but I will pretty much never be playing Light Assault. If my plane is going down I'll figure it out without a jetpack.
I love flying in games. If I'm not piloting, I'll probably still be playing as a Light Assault most of the time. Looks like a fantastically fun class.

But opinions. To each their own fun.
Old 2012-06-16, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
TazmamzaT
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Heavy assault in PS2 can take pounding with its personal shield. but when its like the only mobile AV class and theres gonna be defenders in MAX's i dont see the problem.

This crap just steams from the terrible players in PS1, they believe that an agile bailing on a tower with HA and 1 deci is overpowered because it somehow has an advantage over rexo and MAX defenders, these people are idiots.

Also to bail as anything else bar light assault you loose a fair bit of offensive ability been able to track targets, not to mention you're wasting resources.
Dude you don't need to insult groups of people to prove your point.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion