Graphics Card Advice? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because you can see the flames from orbit.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-06-23, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
BulletExodus
Private

Re: Graphics Card Advice?

Apparently some GPU reviews explain the components catching fire after about a month of use. Lol, now I'm afraid.
Old 2012-06-23, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by BulletExodus View Post
Apparently some GPU reviews explain the components catching fire after about a month of use. Lol, now I'm afraid.
On your board? Can I get those reviews you are looking at?

Last edited by Goku; 2012-06-23 at 12:23 PM.
Old 2012-06-23, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
BulletExodus
Private

No, just specific cards that were suggested to me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130750

If this isn't even relevant to the issue, then I'll shut up and let you guys handle it.
Old 2012-06-23, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I wouldn't worry about that. One user reporting isn't reason to be concerned. Now if the card had a 1 star rating with 80% of the people saying it catches fire then yes I would be.
Old 2012-06-23, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I wouldn't worry about that. One user reporting isn't reason to be concerned. Now if the card had a 1 star rating with 80% of the people saying it catches fire then yes I would be.
Yeah, a lot of times those are even troll reviews. Video cards can be a very...fanboy-ish thing sometimes and inspire some serious business.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-06-23, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
BulletExodus
Private

If things check out, then about 1-2 weeks from now, I'll make the orders. So there's time to go over the compatibility questions.
Old 2012-06-23, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
inspades
Private

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
You really think a standard PSU will fry that mobo? Can you give more reasoning for that?

I looked around at people who did upgrade the PSU and there wasn't any issues. I'm 99% sure this won't happen if he upgrades the PSU.
If it's designed for use with a proprietary power supply, absolutely. They are wired differently from standard ATX PSUs.

I did some looking into this, and I havent seen anything to suggest it's proprietary. Additionally, there are PSU replacements floating around out there that call themselves "TFX-standard PSUs", which is essentially "honey, i shrunk the ATX".

In light of all that, there shouldn't be any issue from using standard ATX
Old 2012-06-24, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
BulletExodus
Private

Last question, since I've never upgraded a PC before. I don't have to do any reinstallations or backup any data before I do this do I? Or is it just component switching that shouldn't have a huge effect?
Old 2012-06-24, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Bags
Lieutenant General

Last question, since I've never upgraded a PC before. I don't have to do any reinstallations or backup any data before I do this do I? Or is it just component switching that shouldn't have a huge effect?
I wouldn't back up everything, since it'd be pretty damn hard, maybe impossible to brick your harddrive when installing a new GPU. Only run the risk of you PSU being bad and killing everything, but if you buy a good brand that's unlikely.

Installing a new GPU is as easy as popping it into the slot on the motherboard and plugging in two 6pin connectors.

So if you have anything of vital importance, might not be bad to back that up, but bricking your PC isn't something you should be worried about if you are not completely reckless while installing your new stuff.
Old 2012-06-24, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
inspades
Private

^This

If you're paranoid about your data, you could disconnect the power and data cables going to your hard drive, do the upgrade, and then power on the computer.

If you get a single beep out of your computer when you power it on, then you're in the clear, and will want to reconnect the power and data cables to your hard drive.

If you get a bunch of magic smoke, your data is safe because you disconnected the hard drive prior.
Old 2012-06-24, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
DarkChiron
First Sergeant

I'm getting a ATI Radeon 6850. Since my max resolution is 1360x768, I think it should be sufficient for higher end settings.
Old 2012-06-25, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Ailos
Contributor
Major

As long as you remember that nothing in the PC requires a hammer or any kind of measurable strength to install (even the screws that you put in to hold your mobo should be tightened just enough to not come loose, and that's it), you should be fine. I normally recommend putting your most sensitive documents on a flash drive if that's the only thing you're really paranoid about losing as a precaution (e.g. some school papers or work-related documents or something - but you should always have these stored in several places anyway).

Also, you can do the drive disconnect thing - when you turn it on, if everything is fine, it'll eventually say something like "No boot device found" or "No operating system found". If you see that, turn the system off, re-connect the drive, and it should start right up.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-06-26, 02:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
BulletExodus
Private

I'll remember that, thanks. Now to just wait for PS day for more info!
Old 2012-06-26, 03:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Mutant
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
I normally recommend putting your most sensitive documents on a flash drive if that's the only thing you're really paranoid about losing as a precaution (e.g. some school papers or work-related documents or something - but you should always have these stored in several places anyway).
This.

It amazes me how many people just don't keep any important data backed up.

Flash drives and external HDD are so cheap these days.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum