New Player Mentality - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do not insert foreign objects into certification terminals
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-21, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Sephirex
Major

Re: New Player Mentality

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
i agree. i think this guy is definitely NOT the typical new player. he seems like a weirdo/socialpath.
His responses to people calling him out on the NDA would seem to confirm so.
Old 2012-07-21, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
i agree. i think this guy is definitely NOT the typical new player. he seems like a weirdo/socialpath.
No... he's just a typical 14-year old.

And if Sony doesn't charge something for the client, I think a lot of us have the secret fear that we're going to be overrun with them.
Old 2012-07-21, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
moosepoop
Captain

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
No... he's just a typical 14-year old.
kids sometimes tk for shits and giggles, hell most people did once. this fagot proceeded to tk for a good 10 minutes.

i remember this autistic guy on another game, who spent over 100 dollars after tking and getting banned, and rebuying the game, over and over again. these kind of people are not normal, bro.

Last edited by moosepoop; 2012-07-21 at 11:13 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 11:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
I think a lot of us have the secret fear that we're going to be overrun with them.
Secret?

Seriously though, i think that the majority of those who "don't get it" like that guy would just need a little nudge in the direction of a battle when they log in for the first time. Once they had the enemy on sight for the first time they would start learning at their own pace without causing too much trouble like that. After giving them something to shoot at besides teammates, which would solve the "TK just because" issue (as much as it can be solved), even the kiddies would eventually want to know how to get a vehicle, or how to squad spawn, etc.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-21 at 11:16 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 11:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Renegadeknight
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
Secret?

Seriously though, i think that the majority of those who "don't get it" like that guy would just need a little nudge in the direction of a battle. Once they had the enemy on sight for the first time they would start learning at their own pace without causing too much trouble like that. After giving them something to shoot at besides teammates, which would solve the "TK just because" issue (as much as it can be solved), even the kiddies would eventually want to know how to get a vehicle, or how to squad spawn, etc.
agree 100% with this.
Old 2012-07-21, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Yutty
Sergeant

so do you think soe are going to kick this physorac outa the beta since he's clearly broken the NDA??
Old 2012-07-21, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by Yutty View Post
so do you think soe are going to kick this physorac outa the beta since he's clearly broken the NDA??
I'm sure they already have. Question is when will they get youtube to take the footage down.
Old 2012-07-21, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
moosepoop
Captain

nothing lost. the footage wasnt even good.
Old 2012-07-22, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Goldeh
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
His responses to people calling him out on the NDA would seem to confirm so.
What he say?

:O
Old 2012-07-22, 03:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Alan Rickman
Private

I'm a newbie ! I don't think my mentality will be a problem, but more the fact that i'm converting back to PC gaming after many years of console gaming. I will definitely need some help from the vets!
Old 2012-07-22, 03:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
@RenegadeKnight

Sorry, rampant TKing ALWAYS falls under the category of "being an ass". Especially after he made the comment "Weird, nobody else seems to be killing anybody but me". I'm sorry, just the SLIGHTEST amount of effort on his part would have cleared up any misconceptions he had. Waste of a tester slot, imo.
Pretty much.

Should really start by inviting vets to the game, then adding in ransoms later on.
Old 2012-07-22, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
@RenegadeKnight

Sorry, rampant TKing ALWAYS falls under the category of "being an ass". Especially after he made the comment "Weird, nobody else seems to be killing anybody but me". I'm sorry, just the SLIGHTEST amount of effort on his part would have cleared up any misconceptions he had. Waste of a tester slot, imo.
No, you don't get it. He obviously thought that this was an fps mmorpg kinda like global agenda which is basically wow but with fps elements. Thus he was surprised that teamkilling was in and what was even stranger to him was that there were no NPC's or mobs to kill but he came to the rational conclusion that the lack of quests was due to it being a tech test so they had no mobs in at the moment. This means that all that was left for him to do was to just screw around and test all the weapons on his allies since there were no mobs around to test on.

If you don't have the slightest of clues as to what this game is about then those hints they give you don't help much at all, that is the moral of the story. People will hear "mmofps" and think "WoW with guns, great!" and when they then play the game they will be certain that the game have quests and mobs with loot etc. Then when they see lots of players aimlessly running around in the starter area, barren landscapes with no mobs and no questgivers they obviously conclude that the game just isn't finished.

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-22 at 04:05 AM.
Old 2012-07-22, 04:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

I have seen the video (8 mins waste of lifetime - I know it is more than 20, but I fastforwarded a lot to see if anything happens or this moron actually finds his way out of the box of his own stupidity; sadly it didn't happen). I have even googled a bit, and found that he may be a 19 years old call-center guy, then I stopped stalking before it's too late...

I think he is worse than the average non-PS FPS or MMO player in terms of mental abilities. The masses - although newbs (like us) - will have a different mental approach than us, but that will change soon when they see that their twitch-based experience is not working here.

There will be thousands who will be willing to learn something new - and outfits busy on recruitment and basic training will have a hard job with them too. It is a pain to wait for the 1-2 new players in the galaxy to finally find the recall button and board the plane - and they may still be in their PJ-s... Trainer outfits know this feeling too well!

But if they are willing to learn they will soon be a decent addition to the community.

On the other hand, training or even squadding with nooooobs without the open mind to do things different than in their previous games is a waste of time. And they won't even feel comfortable in the game, so they will leave - and probaby blame the devs who weren't able to write a damn netcode that doesn't have lag with 2000 in the same instance, the players who never fight fair, the "cheaters" who always get the jump on him (situational awareness anyone?) and so on. These butthurt drama queens will quit and try to make some noise but no one will care. Their loss, after all.
Old 2012-07-22, 05:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Sikee Atric
Private

I'm a noob to the entire Planetside experience, but I've joined a clan with the intention of getting this game right and enjoying it.... It's obvious that the idiot in the vid has done no research, no study and does not care about gaming.

He clearly got a PC Gamer, saw the code and just thought, 'Ok. Here's a free gift, must be an MMORPG, or something.... Oh, I'm registered, no reason to check the Confirmation Email further (Thus missing the mention of NDA). Let's just try it and stream what I see.'

The result is the shambles he streamed. Now he'll be bitching on some 'generic' review forums somewhere that the game is turd, and people on that site will be killing him for being a jackass as much as we are!

The only other excuse is that it was some kind of stunt, which would be a hundred times worse....

Clearly we can ignore such childish games and concentrate on actually testing the game. SoE should actually keep the footage as a spoof trailer.... "How Not To Play PS2" and supply it with a Commentary and footage of how to actually play, what is potentially, The Game of 2013.

That kid will be a living legend then and an example of turning the worst drek of the internet into useful members of society.
Old 2012-07-22, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Figment
Lieutenant General

The biggest thing PS2 has to do for new players in changing their mentality, is stimulating awareness of reasonings behind team play design. Most importantly, why and how this is different from solo play design and what it means for them.

MMO is about community experience as much if not more as it is about having a personal experience.

Players should be stimulated to not only interact with, but also simply respect other players, including players playing roles that do not come natural to their frame of reference.

They should be well aware of the difference in game design between a game with 4 players in a free-for-all deathmatch, 32 vs 32 and beyond.

SOE has the responsibility to communicate this intuitively by subtly incorporating it in all the game mechanics, think of:
  • Through the UI
  • Statistics
  • Benefits of team vehicles
  • Squad mechanics (including squad accessibility for new players)
  • Spawn mechanics
  • Strategic objectives and ways to (facilitate) taking them out with the help of allies
  • Chat and voice systems and accessibility
  • Community building (outfit infrastructure)
  • Expansive tutorials, perhaps even tutorial systems where other players help them
  • Stimulating inter-empire rivalries more than intra-empire rivalries, stimulating loyalties
  • Basic explanations for anything related to UI

And whatever else you can think of where the player interacts directly with the game, there's a chance to subtly point out how cooperation with others on his empire is beneficial to the player's own needs. Think of it as positive brainwashing, re-education or simply incentives to work together if you wish.

All these are opportunities to promote a cooperative environment and mold the teamplay spirit of new players.

It also includes forums and communicating design visions and keeping a close watch on what effect their design decisions have on teamwork.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-07-22 at 06:19 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion