What is up with the performance of Planetside 2? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Every man dies, not every man really lives.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-12-11, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Re: What is up with the performance of Planetside 2?

My performance is fine...why do you ask?

Ps.

Voodeux wins the "Creepy Sig. Award"
Old 2012-12-13, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Voodeux
Private

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
My performance is fine...why do you ask?

Ps.

Voodeux wins the "Creepy Sig. Award"
I do try...I really do.
Old 2012-12-11, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Simokon
Corporal

awww we need to wait until January for the optimization stuff
Old 2012-12-11, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

I really wouldnt say the performance issue come from dx9 itself. Its the engine. Which is why saying "oh its DX 9" is over simplifying it. Yes it is dx9 but only because Forgelight uses it. Other DX9 game run phenomenally well when compared to to PS2 with no one around you (low pop server, vaccant continent). Forgelight is still a little baby and needs to grow.

Optimization really needs to come faster though. It is a free to play game so a lot of people do not have really good rigs. Many users are using laptops, which are getting close, but will never be able to compete with a lesser priced desktop. But they are getting better. January really cant come any sooner, since a lot of people will tell you (read the official forums) that they love the game but they just cant deal with the framerates. Its starting to fracture the community already, and stopping new players from really enjoying what PS2 can be all about. Battles at massive scale.

For me to really say the game is finally optimized, it needs to run at 60fps at any setting for a moderate rig. That needs to be what their "reccomended" specs are for. I meet that mark (amd 955 @3,8, 8gig dd3 @1600 cas 9, and gtx 660ti), but get down to the upper 20's in large battles and can only get 60+ at warpgate with no one there. These results are with fine tuning the .ini file too. But again, the engine isnt optimized to where it should be.
Old 2012-12-11, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Miffy
Sergeant

What my MSI AB says when I'm in a big battle, I dunno why it fluctuates so much. I use GPU 2 as primary for heat reasons as my Mobo sucks and the x16 slots are right next to each other :\ SLI is turned off here, 680SLI system.

Yet I go back in again with a different monitor into a large battle and get......

GPU http://s12.postimage.org/qcqrw0oml/Untitled.jpg
http://s12.postimage.org/fda5y5nl9/Untitled1.jpg

CPU http://s8.postimage.org/616p8fzjp/Untitled2.jpg

I dunno it's weird, there is something causing low FPS, It seems to be when lots of people are around. However I can stand there and no one is on my screen and it's still low, probably because it is still rendering everyone around. What I don't get though is why lots of people are invisible but then suddenly pop into the screen out of nowhere.

Last edited by Miffy; 2012-12-11 at 02:50 PM.
Old 2012-12-11, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
JawsOfLife
Sergeant

I got this same exact problem when PS2 was in beta. I was hoping the problem would be at least mostly remedied by the time of release. I am using a core i3 2100--PS2 should be eating this cpu alive, yet it is only utilizing about 60-65% of it. The logical cores get taxed 75-80%, and the hyperthreading cores hardly get used at all. Also, I have used the "core unparker", and received no performance gains.
Old 2012-12-11, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
ColdBackHAND
Private

JawsOfLife, based on your information. PS2 is currently eating your CPU alive. "The logical cores get taxed 75-80%".
Old 2012-12-11, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
JawsOfLife
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ColdBackHAND View Post
JawsOfLife, based on your information. PS2 is currently eating your CPU alive. "The logical cores get taxed 75-80%".
Why isn't it 100% though? And why is hyperthreading being ignored? When I fold on my computer everything is taxed 100%. Why isn't the game maxing everything out too, since it clearly wants so much power.
Old 2012-12-12, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Huh, interesting. Might as well give that a try, thanks for the heads up.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-12-13, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bear
Corporal

Just a follow up, I deleted all those files and I didn't see any change.

I did change by render distance to 5000 and gained about 15fps. That change also moved me from CPU bound to GPU bound.
Old 2012-12-14, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
morganm
Private

Performance seems fine to me. Sorry it's not 130 FPS all the time. Never do I feel like "oh man it's choppy this sucks!" It runs smooth for me all the time; big battles or not. Didn't tweak any of the settings; default draw distance and quality settings.
Old 2012-12-13, 07:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bear
Corporal

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
For those with good riggs and still having issues. I do this after EVERY SINGLE PATCH (because if I don't I get 40-50 fps at the WG nad 18-25 in fights)

AFTER the patch is finished and yes it's a hassle.. Delete the ww_crashuploader.exe, Planetside 2.exe and useroptions.ini file. Everytime I do this I get twice the FPS.. 40-50 in LARGE fights and 100-120 at the WG.
I know this is a stupid question but if you're deleting the Planetside 2.exe how exactly are you launching the game?
Old 2012-12-13, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bear View Post
I know this is a stupid question but if you're deleting the Planetside 2.exe how exactly are you launching the game?
I think there's separate thingies for launching the game and launching the launchpad, so i'd assume through the launcher as normal.

Last edited by ShadetheDruid; 2012-12-13 at 08:08 AM.
Old 2012-12-13, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Miffy
Sergeant

That or Steam redownloads the files...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion