So you think you're good at First-Person-Shooting... - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: IS INVINCIBLE!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-13, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Fear The Amish
First Sergeant

Re: So you think you're good at First-Person-Shooting...

Meh started with Q2 but the ultimate example of FPS skill has always been and will still be CS 1.3 - 1.5
Old 2013-01-13, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Remzsz
Private

Is it strange that I think the graphics of older games such as quake 3, ut99, counterstrike, ps1 are better? Those games are just soo easy, and clear to see whats going on. None of that blind you with shitloads of bloom and lens flare shit that seems to be in alot of games today. Guess I just like my simple graphics.
Old 2013-01-13, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by Remzsz View Post
Is it strange that I think the graphics of older games such as quake 3, ut99, counterstrike, ps1 are better? Those games are just soo easy, and clear to see whats going on. None of that blind you with shitloads of bloom and lens flare shit that seems to be in alot of games today. Guess I just like my simple graphics.
PS1 didn't have better graphics, but I feel you on anything around the time of Unreal Engine 1. The graphics were p bad from a technical standpoint, but the art had a clear direction toward giving you simple visuals that let you know what was going on.
Old 2013-01-13, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Illtempered
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
I'm guessing maybe you're refering to Tribulation - Another great vid, I think there's multiple ones he did, not sure. I don't know the guy who did this, but the shit he does is ridiculous. I remember spending an evening at LAN attempting to recreate some of it and ended up realizing the guy was ridiculous at doing this stuff.
302 Found
Wow....such beauty from a mere game where people frag each other (=

Oh, and AThreatToYou, I'd love to see some Tribes vids. I remember one in Tribes1, that was full of amazing MA shots. He mostly camped the flag and wrecked cappers coming in.

Last edited by Illtempered; 2013-01-13 at 03:27 PM.
Old 2013-01-13, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Fear The Amish View Post
Meh started with Q2 but the ultimate example of FPS skill has always been and will still be CS 1.3 - 1.5
CS definitely had some good players, but most of the top CS players were former top Quake2 RA players, or even Q3A players. To me it's two completely different skill sets. Quake takes a lot of knowledge of the game, phsyics, and knowledge of your opponent. Whereas CS was more about precision aim and in most cases team-play.

As much as I love FPS games, I do have to give the cake to Darkfall players for having the most skill. I'm an above average FPS player, but by no means the best out there. When I played Darkfall I just got roflstomped by some of those guys. They're simply way better at aim and such than any game I've played. It's a shame, because the game looked like ass and it's really hard to follow the videos of it if you've never played, but the no-lifers in Darkfall take the cake for me as the top FPS players. Can actually find a lot of them playing Quake Live nowadays while they wait for Darkfall:Unholy Wars.

Last edited by Assist; 2013-01-13 at 03:36 PM.
Old 2013-01-13, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by Illtempered View Post
Wow....such beauty from a mere game where people frag each other (=

Oh, and AThreatToYou, I'd love to see some Tribes vids. I remember one in Tribes1, that was full of amazing MA shots. He mostly camped the flag and wrecked cappers coming in.
I finally found Legacy. It demonstrates Tribes perfectly... to a Tribes player.

video starts at 1

ref. Funny, because when I first saw it, I was impressed. Now, it looks meh, just lots of fancy editing lol.
some stuff you won't understand if you don't know Tribes, as well..
the speed/teamwork parts are where it gets amazing

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-01-13 at 03:51 PM.
Old 2013-01-13, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

I always think of Q2 as the purest FPS experience.
Old 2013-01-13, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Illtempered
First Sergeant

What's amazing to me about Tribes and Quake, was how drastically the games changed because of the "exploits" of Strafe-Jumping and Skiing. They are what ultimately made the games. They made it so much faster than what the devs had envisioned. Luckily, instead of being small-mined about it, the devs embraced it, and even purposely incorporated it into future installments of the series.

Planetside had a similar feature in Hotdropping. I don't think the devs ever envisioned a full platoon of AirCav, hotdropping on a base or tower, but it completely changed the dynamic of the game, and for the better in my estimation. You had to be that much faster, that much better, to keep up. Though Gals loaded with Rexos and MAXs still had their place, it wasn't enough in and of itself. I often wonder how Planetside2 will evolve, in the same way. We should be careful not to label all "exploits" as inherently bad.

Last edited by Illtempered; 2013-01-13 at 04:08 PM.
Old 2013-01-13, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Fujilives
Private

Just logged in to post that Tribes 2 is my all-time favorite game, and even today, makes most multiplayer FPS games look terrible. The skill and focus it took to be good with the majority of tools in that game was incredible. I spent years doing tournament style play in Tribes 2, and value those years of my life to the point where I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Tribes 1 was good as well, but I preferred T:2. T:A is just... bad. I have revisited the game many times but it just doesn't do anything for me, feels more like unreal than Tribes.

Personally, I think games today fail because of two FPS elements that everyone is afraid to walk away from because of things like COD. Rather than develop weapons that are fun and rely on skill, they fall back to the spray-and-pray hitscan (or may-as-well-be-hitscan) super-fast firing bullet-from-a-gun combat we see EVERYWHERE today. What made tribes interesting is that it put those weapons on the backburner in favor of things like the plasma cannon, grenade launcher, mortar cannon, and of course everyone's favorite: the Spinfusor. If tribes 2 made mistakes, in my opinion it's that the chaingun and sniper rifle made it into the game, and lasers on the shrike were too powerful (I was a near-full-time pilot, believe me, those were over the top if you knew how to fly).

I admit, I've had fun sniping in games (planetside 2 is a great sniper-friendly game, for example), but in general it feels cheap and requires very little (minimal) skill to become good, and only steady practice and a good mouse to become excellent. Machine-guns in COD gameplay style are great, they are fun and vary enough to be interesting, and I think Planetside 2 does an admirable job of keeping each gun 'different enough' to keep combat interesting as well, but I'd trade EVERY SINGLE ps2 machine-gun for a slow-ish firing projectile that required skill and timing to lead targets and splash them down. Give me a T2 jetpack (because the L:A jetpack is pitiful in comparison) and built-in skiing on every class, and PS2 would probably be the best game in my lifetime, but 'heeding to the masses' is what the planetside series has always done wrong, and really the reason ps1 had such a sharp fall-off of playerbase (most tribes players left early on because it just got boring so damned quick), the same ideals also (along with many other flaws) contribute to the failings of T:A, and is probably the largest reason (again, even though there are other major flaws) I don't play Tribes Ascend.

To this day I still go on youtube and watch old Tribes 2 videos for the sheer refresher of what made it so amazing. The videos, while graphically inferior, showcase absolutely mind-blowing gameplay at the tournament level that are more entertaining to me than watching any televised sport.
Old 2013-01-13, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Figment
Lieutenant General

Tactical shooter for me please. Twitch is ok, but boring if that's all it is and renders tactical options moot.

The PS series is a tactical shooter first and foremost.
Old 2013-01-13, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Synnoc
Contributor
Private

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
You know, I wonder if a reasonable argument could be made that PS1 was as much an MMORTS as an MMOFPS.
Old 2013-01-13, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Tactical shooter for me please. Twitch is ok, but boring if that's all it is and renders tactical options moot.

The game is still a lot more about strategy than tactics, even on the individual level. But that's not the point.

You know, I find myself using the Falcon and having it remind me of those skillful weapons. It's hard to use, but if you nail someone who doesn't have armor upgrade (or is infiltrator), it 1HK's. Fun weapon even it is underpowered.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion