New Tank Concepts - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Has a small network.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-07, 06:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Re: New Tank Concepts

I love these ideas, it's really coming together. MOAR IDEAS I SAY! MOAR IDEAS!

Last edited by HiroshiChugi; 2013-05-07 at 06:50 AM.
Old 2013-05-07, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
its logic. its an issue of power + cert gain + survivability.

players are barely using lightnings these days. if you introduce empire specific lightnings, no ones gonna use them either.

"neat idea" isnt a good reason to implement it.

;P
Old 2013-05-07, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

He has a point though.What would be the point in a Light tank that requires more crew when you can get a MBT by yourself and be more powerful?While yes the idea of Light ES tanks sound great it wouldn't be something that would improve the game balance wise.
Old 2013-05-07, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
OmegaPREDATOR
Corporal

Could be interesting to just add news abilities and weapons to Lightning for is rewamp. Different for each faction.

For memories, there was only MTBs and Lightning in Planetside (http://planetside.station.sony.com/).
Old 2013-05-07, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Well, instead, take my idea for the turret, but make it so that the driver is also the gunner, and have those 4 passenger seats and make it basically a light APC. Basically a mini Sunderer.
Old 2013-05-07, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by RodenyC View Post
He has a point though.What would be the point in a Light tank that requires more crew when you can get a MBT by yourself and be more powerful?While yes the idea of Light ES tanks sound great it wouldn't be something that would improve the game balance wise.
You're looking at it from a pure DPS perspective. These ES light tanks would have other advantages that aren't just pure DPS. They would have a special trait and ability that makes them far more appealing than just driving the MBT by yourself.

This game gets awfully boring if your bottom line is determined by DPS. The harasser is a great argument for that. Sure the MBT can put out far more damage than that of a harasser, by why don't we see people just pulling 2 MBTs instead of 1 harasser? Why not 2 lightnings? It's technically double the firepower so why aren't people doing that?

Simple fact is if you're just looking at overall DPS you're really missing the point.

These ES specific tanks could have a lot of other reasons to make them appealing. The ES specific MBTs could as well but they are too focused on trying to balance the MBTs between the factions instead of going wild with them and exaggerating their traits to make them feel truly unique. This is why a base NS MBT would be great because then they could really exaggerate a feature on the ES tanks and make them blatantly better in some situations than the soloed or even 2/2 crewed NS MBT and then give the players the choice on what they want to do.

I'm a favor of more choice. An NS and ES flavor of every vehicle class could make this game rather interesting. The NS version could be very basic and fulfill the role that most FPS gamers today expect such a vehicle to fulfill and ES tanks can be the specific 3-way asymmetrical gameplay that is unique to Planetside. Everybody gets something they want and the factions become more unique without becoming way more imbalanced.

Last edited by wasdie; 2013-05-07 at 11:51 AM.
Old 2013-05-07, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by RodenyC View Post
An ES light tank would be:

- Faster
- Do more damage for how much hitpoints it has
- Have a unique ability in either its defense, mobility, or offense
- Have weapons that other vehicles will not have
Old 2013-05-07, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
moosepoop
Captain

empire specific lightning weapons would make more sense.
Old 2013-05-07, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
empire specific lightning weapons would make more sense.
I would honestly like to see this before adding new ES tanks.
Old 2013-05-07, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
AThreatToYou
Major

I don't think faction specific turrets for the lightning could change it into a 2-seater vehicle.
Old 2013-05-07, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Give us more vehicles period, it's not a bad thing, More options, more diversity, interesting battles.

If you're off lonewolfing then you can pull the ES MBT: Prowler, Vanguard, Magrider, or the Lightning Common Pool. If you're playing with some friends, or organizing with your Outfits Armor Division then Multi-Crew tanks would be pretty fraken awesome.

I would like to go a step further and demand Empire Specific Sunderer' with faction specific abilities or weapons.

More Choices, More Options, Happier Me. And the cash SOE could score off of cosmetics for these new vehicles... I don't see any justifiable reason NOT to add more vehicles.

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2013-05-07 at 07:49 PM.
Old 2013-05-09, 06:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Originally Posted by HereticusXZ View Post
Give us more vehicles period, it's not a bad thing, More options, more diversity, interesting battles.

If you're off lonewolfing then you can pull the ES MBT: Prowler, Vanguard, Magrider, or the Lightning Common Pool. If you're playing with some friends, or organizing with your Outfits Armor Division then Multi-Crew tanks would be pretty fraken awesome.

I would like to go a step further and demand Empire Specific Sunderer' with faction specific abilities or weapons.

More Choices, More Options, Happier Me. And the cash SOE could score off of cosmetics for these new vehicles... I don't see any justifiable reason NOT to add more vehicles.
I don't see anything wrong with all of this, really.
Old 2013-05-09, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Qwan
Captain

I liked the first one it looked real nice, the second one reminds me of a Vanu super battle tank, just paint it purple and push it out the door. I like the look though.
Old 2013-11-19, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
HiroshiChugi
Captain

-bump- o.o
Old 2013-11-20, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Eggy
Sergeant

I think the game needs more higher cost vehicles, not more cheap and "powerfull" ones.
Otherwise we risk mass vehicle spam.

The harraser has a bad rep at the moment mainly becuase due to it being dedicated driver it is "powerfull". If you add a light tank that takes 2 people and can be dedicated driver then you just removed the current MBTs from the action, they just wouldnt stand a chance.

If however you add more vehicles, needing more people to the other end of the vehicle range, they can be stronger,quicker or whatever and not be un balanced.

A Heavy Battle tank. Common pool or ES requiring 3-4 people to be combat effective.
Idealy the ES buggies we have been promised should have less powerfull guns than the current harraser, but have more than 1 gunner seat. It needs to have reasons to pull it over an MBT and also reasons not to pull it if you cant fill all the gun seats. This is the problem with the current LBT and MBT, if you have the resources for an MBT there is zero point to pulling a LBT.

The deliverer/raider level of vehicles also has a place but should have access to more counter measures and support tools rather than stacking guns, but again requires more than one person.

The game is an MMO, stacking lots of power onto lone wolfs isnt a good idea.
I realise how much fun it would be to have a Vulcan on a lightning but in terms of cost&risk versus reward it just isnt going to happen.

An ES light tank would be:

- Faster
- Do more damage for how much hitpoints it has
- Have a unique ability in either its defense, mobility, or offense
- Have weapons that other vehicles will not have
This is exactly what the harraser is to the MBT except it does less damage and is dedicated driver. In effect a common pool MBT with access to ES weapons and look how much its apparently unbalanced the game for solo players.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion