Planetside 2 - Defeated Dreams? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making you lose your day job since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-07-17, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Planetside 2 - Defeated Dreams?

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
Hasn't been mentioned once since Alpha
Incorrect. TRay mentioned that weather is still a planned feature to be added in some time after the PS4 version's release.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-07-18, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
kubacheski
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mordelicius View Post
The way they are hyping EQ: Next, I'm guessing it has buildable/destructible cities especially in frontier areas. What else could it be ? lol.

@OP, that's their long-term plan. And NPC stuff has been soundly rejected by the community as well. As for the weather, they've always said that they will add it as soon as every core elements have been in place and once the game is ready, performance wise (something to those effect, not verbatim).

I believe the last time it was mentioned was on FNO preview of the dome shields (I could me wrong ). But yeah, I doubt they would implement it soon.
NPC's is not part of PlanetSide in any shape or form. A large attraction to PS, my mind, is that you can't "practice" in PlanetSide. You actually have to go out and match youself against a player. PVP at its finest as that's all there is. There is no option to grind exp on mobs, you have to grind your exp on real people.

Now for the 5 year plan and such, it's a given that MMO's change over time, but it's another issue completely to hype up all of the things you are going to do with the game, release it at say 50% (I'm being really generous there) and then instead of following your defined roadmap, you fix a couple of known bugs and develop towards what's making the most money. (I get it, SOE is a business. I really do get it, but be a little more honest about it ffs. You're not dating me, SOE, so you don't have to lie to me.) If the game were at 80+% i doubt there would be the complaints of posts like this one, so hype is an accurate description.

A few too many EVE comparisons and a few too many "we're gonna do (this)" from the devs when it should have been phrased as "we could do (this)".

I really hate to say it, as it will bring up the old "bitter vet" topic, but we were once told that PS2 would be better than PS1. It's not. Talk about defeated dreams. I wish they would have had the time and ability to be able to do PS:Next (graphics update to PS1), then try all of this bullshit with PS2 and ForgeLight.

I really am hoping for EQ:Next to be worthwhile now that they're describing it as "the biggest sandbox ever". I worry about that as so many titles in the past few years have had trouble with the sandbox design. Maybe they'll test player built structures and areas in PS2 before releasing it in EQ:Next. Only time will tell.....
Old 2013-07-18, 02:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
typhaon
Sergeant Major

I'm not sure NPCs have been soundly rejected by the community. I think it would depend what they look like and how they are implemented.

I think very few would want anything along the lines of NPCs to farm for XP, but beyond that...

I could certainly see how NPCs sprinkled throughout bases, or used in some capacity as tools for the players, would flesh out the world. I certainly can't see SOE pulling off RIFT-style events that were actually fun and well done... but if they were, I can't see most players not like them.

I did see T_Ray mention weather and "destruction" - as things they are interested in down the road. Glad to see it brought up... though he was clear this was after quite a lot of other stuff... Russia, Brazil, MLG, to name a few... I thought "destruction" (i assume he's talking about objects) was an interesting comment, as I DO believe it's going to be very hard for PS2 to make any kind of AAA claims as we move down the road.... despite the size of the conflict... this feature almost already IS... and will certainly BE a feature in the BF4 and beyond. PS2 is certainly going to look 'old' when the only game objects that explode are turrets, terminals, and generators.
Old 2013-07-18, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Angrytortoise
Private

I vaguely remember an interview a while ago that mentioned the implementation of weather and why it wasn't apart of any of their more immediate plans.

I'm pretty sure the performance hit it would bring is a large part of why this isn't being mentioned much. In a game that has a a lot of performance issues as it is even with very high end machines, I think they figured there wasn't a lot of point trying to push out something like that until they had better optimization overall. I would hazard a guess that this is likely something we will almost certainly see in the future though.
Old 2013-07-18, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Actually a mac version would be much more viable after the PS4 because the PS4 is going to be using an OpenGL based renderer, not DirectX.
Old 2013-07-18, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Rolfski
Major

I'm pretty sure we will eventually see all that stuff there but more like in 3 years with PvE probably latest on the list. PvE was down voted by the community so for them to go ahead with it means they better present a good plan for it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion