Punkbuster? ohh no - Page 20 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So where do I cash in my grief points?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-18, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #286
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

Re: Punkbuster? ohh no

Originally Posted by Ivam Akorahil View Post
ive been playing bf3 for around 80 hours in total, apart from the occasional aimbotter who usualy gets either auto banned or auto kicked or vote kicked within a few seconds i never ever expierienced any major hacking issues

apart from pb ps2 also has this background cheat detection if values get out of hand like kills per minute or per second or headhsot amount w/e the game automaticaly notifies game masters about it so they have a look. + i think the servers are under constant monitoring by game masters anyways

i cant remember in which vid ive seen that but it was mentioned when the topic " stats padding" came up, to prevent abuse

point is, unless we know exactly what systems are in place to prevent hacking - anything else is retarded speculation and much ado about nothing
lol way to quote me from a post made back in march lol

Also if you've only noticed an occasional aimbotter.. then that's what you NOTICED! there is alot more going on than you obviously know what to look for in bf3.

the one good thing is atleast PS2 is staying server side so it doesn't make scripts and other stuff easy when you run client side crap on PC ( which should have never happened to begin with but BF3 is a straight console port).

Anyways SOE has already said they have layers of anti cheat security.. but at the time the thread was made.. they had not stated this information etc.

We'll see how it works out.. All we do know is Punkbuster alone is terrible.. but again SOE states PS2 will not be PB alone.
Old 2012-07-18, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #287
EVILoHOMER
Major

They key to Punk Buster is keeping it updated and the only game to do this well is BF3. Normally you have lots of people getting kicked by PB and have no clue how to fix it and just quit the game instead of asking the forums.

So unless SOE can develop a system like Battlelog which makes sure it's always up to date then PB could kill the game.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #288
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't have a problem with PB, the good it does far outweighs the fringe false positives. No solution is perfect.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #289
AvacadoEight
First Sergeant

I think they're partially using it as a front. PB does a better job than just having nothing, as well.

But I also think they have quite a few tricks up their sleeves, and are not just relying on Punkbuster.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #290
Canadian Vanu
Corporal

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
I personally think VAC is equally shit. Just as bypassable. Although I give it that it has less problems with updating and so on, even if I've personally had very little issues with PB ever and the games I've played the most have been using PB too.
In the 3 years I've been playing tf2 and the 1 year in CS:S I've played with 1 hacker. ONE HACKER.

In apb:r as soon as I got into gold districts (1 week) I encountered 30 hackers in 1 day. In bf3 in 1 day I met 10.

My experience shows that VAC is much better.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #291
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Canadian Vanu View Post
In the 3 years I've been playing tf2 and the 1 year in CS:S I've played with 1 hacker. ONE HACKER.

In apb:r as soon as I got into gold districts (1 week) I encountered 30 hackers in 1 day. In bf3 in 1 day I met 10.

My experience shows that VAC is much better.
Problem is that VAC is exclusive to Valve. Unless SOE wants to pay Valve for the function we're not getting VAC.

Also VAC has it's own problems anyway.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #292
Gammit10
Sergeant

Some of you whine too much. Some anti-cheat is better than one, even if only to weed out the obvious script-kiddies a less-talented hackers.

No system will ever be perfect, so you have to rely on the type of anti-cheat that you feel works best and (more importantly) is most consistently and reliably updated, and consider multiple detection methods (which may include GMs).
Old 2012-07-18, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #293
SFJake
Sergeant

I think what most people fail to understand is that the reason PB isn't enough to protect some games is just that these games have ****** protection to begin with.

Protection is not just about having a silly external program that detects crap. Its about having the right server-client relationship. Which a lot of games surprisingly don't have.

Planetside 1 apparently had a lot of client side stuff that really should not have been. I mean, in anything half-decently designed, you don't actually expect many hacking problems. There are some unavoidable ones (such as aimbots), but thats not that big a deal.

And what will always work best for the external protection is constant updating. Its an everlasting fight and when they stop fighting, the hacks invade. Its that simple.

It being a modern MMO, I just hope the client-server relations are modern and logical, and then there is very little to worry about.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #294
Juturna
Private

This is an MMO; completely different from a round based game like BF3. Having online admins in combination with PB should be fairly efficient if everyone does their job to report hackers when they see them. I myself love reporting hackers and will continue to do so every chance I get in PS2. Hopefully they do hardware bans also.

That is all.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #295
codylee
Private

the problem with punkbuster is if you don't go to evenbalance and download pb setup.. pb skips a "Heartbeat" and kicks you. it's not a problem for everyone but i'm sure it will be for hmm i'll just random guess 1/4 of the people who want to play and most of the people who get the problem won't know how to fix it Because it's not Explained! god i hate Punkbuster.. someone tell me the other games are just lazy and there is a way to fix it without players having to do anything -.-
Old 2012-07-18, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #296
Nasher
Sergeant

It shouldn't be to bad as long as they keep important stuff server side.

Also it would be nice if the server only told the client about players you have line of sight to (server side), so that wall hacks are useless.

But yea... punkbuster has never been very good.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #297
GODMOLLY
Private

Re: Cheaters in ps2 nooo :)

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
A statement like that should be backed up with some facts and not assumed to be fact. When you assume you make a fucktard of you and something or other...
Now SixShooter how retarded do you have to be to not see this, you show me how it is NOT fact. Look at EVERY online game, to assume that it wont be hacked makes you seem like dyslexic. You guys assume the hackers will make it blatant obvious, head shotting and speed hacking EVERY opportunity they have, those are not the ones you have to worry about because they will be banned over and over.

Wake the fuck up people. How did Combat Arms turn out? And whoever said that they only EVER seen one hacker in TF2 and HL2, has so much cum been squirted in your eyes that you can't see what is going on in front of you? There are at LEAST 1-2 in EACH server in any given time in TF2.

Its just a warning, I hope SOE has something up their sleeve because it is not looking good.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #298
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

tell me about it.. for some reason inexperienced gamers think hackers are only the obvious ones.. the blatent 70-0 or 85-1 hackers.. that's completely opposite of how it is modern day.

Most hackers today are actually smart.. the make themselves very hard to notice unless you know what to look for. turning on and off their hacks by simple toggle button command. it's been done in BF3 since Day 1

one guy who is a hacker himself recently spilled the beans on how stuff works.. His hacking program also told him when others in the room were running hacker scripts etc and it was 60+% in almost all the rooms he played in and remember BF3 was a full pay game.

Again PS2 they say willl have multilayers of protection so that will help

But you few who seem to think hackers are not all over shooter PC games are kidding yourself and very nieve just because you have not Noticed a hacker

Again I point you to case in point.. if you think you haven't seen hacker sin BF3 in over 80 hrs of play.. read up youngster

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield3...ation_for_the/
Old 2012-07-18, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #299
SFJake
Sergeant

From what I read there, BF3 has client side hit detection.

I mean, thats laughable right there.

I could hardly believe BF3 is an example of a modern game under hacking pressure. Its an example of people that don't have a clue what they're doing with their games.

I get it, games can easily be infested with hackers, but thats why you need people that knows what they are doing fighting them, to at least prevent the masses from cheating easily. Not the feel I get from BF3.

Though looking at it, it really does seem like PB is not efficient at all and might as well just not be there.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #300
Mystwalker
Private

y'all know friendly fire is always on have a problem with a hacker send a tell to people on the other team if they are in a outfit find peeps in there outfit to tk them till they log

everyone hates hacking and people will do what they can to stop it cause cheating hurts everyone

and with the app for ps2 it'll be easy to look them up and make sure you report them if 50 people suddenly report someone soe staff will take steps

the power to stop cheats is with us through communication and not being afraid to take some grief(if theres a grief system like in ps1)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion